British Gas spam calls - 08000724699

flapmio
flapmio Posts: 17 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,

I've recently left British Gas and moved to EDF's cheaper Blue Energy deal but recently I have been getting calls on my home number every day of this week from British Gas from the above number. The problem is that I am not at home, I am at work when they call. My wife takes these calls and she has told them this on every occasion and they have "promised to call me on the mobile number". Nobody has attempted to call me on my mobile number from British Gas.

I have rang the number back and followed the instructions to call the other 0800 number and left my details to "opt-out" of these calls.
The message says that this can take upto 28 days which is not acceptable!!!!:mad:
When I registered with British Gas (I was an online customer for their Gas & Elec and still am with their Homecare package) I remember opting out of these things to start with.
When I try to edit my details I cannot see this option where I opted-in for these calls and there is nothing to opt-out on the website.

Is what British Gas is doing illegal as I never opted to receive these calls in the first place?

Moneysavingexpert please investigate!

Comments

• ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    I had the same problem when I left the BG years ago, in the end I just told them to f*** *** - the girl said there was no need to be so rude, I told her they were the rude ones for persistently ignoring my polite requests to go away and stop calling me. Haven't received a call since.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    ic wrote: »
    I had the same problem when I left the BG years ago, in the end I just told them to f*** *** - the girl said there was no need to be so rude, I told her they were the rude ones for persistently ignoring my polite requests to go away and stop calling me. Haven't received a call since.

I have a similar problem with BT. I answer and tell them no thanks but a week later get a.n.other call. Lacking your phone "technique" :rotfl: I have barred their number.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • flapmio
    Wow, didn't know it had been going on for years. I had been a BG customer for years and their customer service had been excellent each time, but since leaving they have turned into Mr. Hyde....
  • ollski
    ollski Posts: 943 Forumite
    Possibly have the wrong mobile number for you. Imagine the call is from customer retentions, will almost certainly stop as soon as you advise them you don't want to stay.
  • I am a British Gas customer (for my electricity funnily enough). I get these calls constantly, I now let the answering machine pick up and they are always silent calls. I have been in touch with BG about this and they say it isn't one of their numbers. I am registered with TPS and they have said that as this is silent calling there isn't anything they can to do stop it but have advised that I complain to Ofcom and BG. I have done this and been advised that the more people complain the more Ofcom will need to deal with it.

I have been told this is not British Gas and is probably some sort of scam.
  • flapmio
    If you've got CallerID or even 1471 you can get the number that called you. I checked mine on the British Gas website using the "Did we call you?" option in the "Contact us" section, and it's a genuine number.
  • In general there are 5 registers : Tps / mps / ctps / fps / bmps

- TPS register
    - MPS register
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • pinkqueen
    pinkqueen Posts: 82 Forumite
    I had the same thing from BG, except on my mobile. I constantly told them I wasn't interested and to stop calling. Eventually when they continued, when they next called and asked for me I told them they had the wrong number...didn't get a phone call again (touch wood!). Weird, as I know they could probably see on their screens that I had been contacted in the recent past on that number but did the trick.
  • PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    We've had repeated calls from this number. All hang ups once you answer.

We are a Business and also signed up to the Corporate TPS, though as this thread, and as is shown from the ammount of spam calls we still get, the TPS is near pointless anyway http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1787973
  • I had my landline taken out earlier this year and have thankfully had no cold calls on my mobile since... until this number started appearing. I tracked the number to BG and wrote to them pointing out that I was already a customer and that if they rang me again I would take my business somewhere else. I have a service contract with BG and they must have had my mobile for that. I received a very apologetic email promising me that I wouldn't be bothered again. Seems to have done the trick. I do hope though, that they haven't already passed/sold my number on to other companies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure