Benefit entitlement for single parent and full time student

Hi,

I am being made redundant at the end of Aug. My redundancy pay is around £1k.

I am going to be going to college full time in sept. I am a single parent who lives with my mum and son.

My monthly pay will go from £1800 to £400!!! :eek:

Any ideas of benefits I can claim? - I will be looking for part time work to fit around college.

From what I can see, all the benefits for unemployed single parents are not given to those who are also students!

Any help?! :o

Comments

• I too am currently contemplating a similar situation. I however have been made redundant and i am in the middle of a degree course part-time. I would like to pursue the degree on a full-time basis, but due to financial constraints i.e. mortgage and bills etc, it seems a little to far to achieve.

Does anyone know of any funding available?

Shelly84...did anyone get back to you??

SuperRy
  • if you are a student studying in wales your maybe entitled to a part-time course grant and also, if you have children and live at home and are over 25 (i think) you maybe entitled to an adult dependency grant.

because i am new, i cannot post a link, please look on google for - student finance wales . co . uk

If like me, you have been made redundant in wales, then look into the ReAct scheme for £2500 in training fees that you would be entitled to to help you get employment. Contact your local job centre or career wales centre.

again, google for more info

Hope this is useful to someone

SuperRy
  • To the op,

When you say your monthly pay is going to be £400 per month, what is it consisting of?
  • Shelley84 wrote: »
    Any ideas of benefits I can claim? - I will be looking for part time work to fit around college.
    Depends on the age of your child and what course you'll be doing. The best thing to do is to contact the college you want to study at. They should have a welfare advisor who can discuss your entitlement with you.
    Shelley84 wrote: »
    From what I can see, all the benefits for unemployed single parents are not given to those who are also students!
    This is not the case at all, student lone parents are generally entitled to more that other students, and are funded on a par with those who do nothing for certain courses, for other courses, you end up with more.
  • i am a single parent in full time college...you can certainly claim an alg grant of £1,500....and possible a fcf grant all according which type of course you are doing..grant forms are available from your local college.
  • belinda_67 wrote: »
    i am a single parent in full time college...you can certainly claim an alg grant of £1,500

Not if you receive earnings-replacement benefits and only for certain courses, depending on your previous qualifications.
  • Not if you receive earnings-replacement benefits and only for certain courses, depending on your previous qualifications.
    The op could be entitled to IS if the course is under 16 hours and depending on her income so would not be entitled to ALG!
  • emmwri
    emmwri Posts: 60 Forumite
    As already mentioned, the best people to speak to are the welfare advisors at the college. I am currently a single parent on income support etc and am planning to apply to start a full time degree course next september. i had absolutely no luck calling the government benefit agencies so i contacted the university direct and they gave me a rough guide of what i could claim and how much. even though i am not yet a student there, they were very helpful and got back to me straight away. hope you get some answers soon
    Aug 2017 GC Budget £180
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    Most college courses are less than 16 hrs per week. If so you will still get your IS/JSA and whatever you are getting now.

Good luck at college.
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • Im confused about what benefits i may be entiltled too, I will be coming out of full time employment and will be starting university,full time, in september, i have 1 child and have no idea where to start ? can somebody help me or point me in the right direction??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure