PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I kondoed a new box of tea to a friend. I don't like it (camomile honey), but she asked for 'relaxation' tea, and loves it. When she's leaving our house tomorrow, she can take the box with her. Small steps.....

The WI in my village (only it's called 'Femma' here in Belgium) has a pop-up sale soon, and has asked for clothes and accessories to sell. This evening, I'll go through my charity shop bag and wardrobe to see what can go there.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks Floss, that is a good idea. You should have written a book :rotfl:
    I only have one mug but I bet I could do a sub- category of komono where I have more than DH that needs releasing, so he wouldn't feel picked on! We do skme household mugs for visitors of course and I wonder if some of them could go...... 6 Denby that match our only dinner service and 4 extremely pretty china mugs that I use when I have my friends round (they are, for want of a better term, very feminine, and I think they are quite special. I generally don't give a fig about girly things!).

Rightiho, we're off out for the day!

Enjoy,

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Tea_Lady
    Tea_Lady Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi everyone
    Just de-lurking again to say hello to everyone.
    I keep tabs on you all every week. Still lay in bed with a pot of coffee and laugh, cry ,celebrate, commiserate and cheer you all on from the side lines.
    Greyqueen's tales from the parents abode are just like a soap opera, can't wait for the next instalment.
    I myself have reached a milestone in my kondoing. After 16 months I finally emptied my freezer. After playing tetrus with the contents for about a year, I finally found the bottom. It took the next 4 months to eat the remaining items. It was all defrosted and cleaned, before I went away for a short break last week.
    Now I'm back and I WILL only fill it with things that are clearly labelled and items we will eat in the near future and not with carp that I thought was a good buy at the time.
    The rest of the house is still a joy to live in. it takes minutes per day to put back in pristine order.:
    Still since I last posted lots of furniture has been thanked and showed the door, chairs, stools, bookcases and pictures have all gone to the furniture charities.
    Every time a charity bag drops through the door I always seem to have something to pop into it. I don't know where it all comes from. Things that have survived the last cull seem to suddenly surface and in a LBM off they go out the door to clutter (sorry spark joy) in someone else's life.
    Keep up the good work
    Tea-lady
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Tea_Lady wrote: »
    After 16 months I finally emptied my freezer. After playing tetrus with the contents for about a year, I finally found the bottom. It took the next 4 months to eat the remaining items. It was all defrosted and cleaned, before I went away for a short break last week.
    Now I'm back and I WILL only fill it with things that are clearly labelled and items we will eat in the near future and not with carp that I thought was a good buy at the time.

Think this will be the next thing I target. I thought a chest freezer would be a huge benefit, but actually, it seems to be a bottomless pit, into which things can disappear for years on end.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • Debsnewbudget
    Debsnewbudget Posts: 738 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    A while ago on here somone mentioned Hamster Baskets for organising in your chest freezer
    I bought some and they are the best things we have ever used to make sure food does not get "lost" in the bottom of the freezer
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A while ago on here somone mentioned Hamster Baskets for organising in your chest freezer
    I bought some and they are the best things we have ever used to make sure food does not get "lost" in the bottom of the freezer

That was me Deb, I too can recommend Hamster Baskets. They can seem quite expensive but make diving in the freezer so much easier.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 May 2016 at 8:06PM
    :) Loving Tea-Lady's description of how much better life is in a kond'd house. I'd love to get my lovely (but cluttery) mother to that stage.

The next installment will be next Bank Holiday weekend as I will go over there for a couple of days and I am sure I can find something to declutter whilst I'm there.

Mum jokes that I give her a kick up the rear (metaphorically speaking) and only by example. When the clutter has been maturing for about 45 years, it can seem an insurmountable task to chisel away at it. She did ask about some bits of storage in her bedroom which I told her two visits ago were mostly full of fresh air whilst other things, which could have been contained, roosted on top of them several feet deep. I don't know if that means that she intends to do something or whether it was a casual aside. We shall see.

Came in briefly from work, out again to archery evening class, back again and jumped into the shower. Clammy evening here.

I have some more things to attend to before they can go; a minor repair to a jacket which will require the sewing machine, and then it can go (was laundered last weekend) and a few other bits and bobs. Will need to chase up the freegler who was going to collect something on Saturday and hasn't. I don't like hassling people but I wish they'd ping a quick message if they've changed their mind or something has cropped up which means they can't come until much later. It's embarrassing to have it open on the site, especially as I chose this freegler over another freegler, and if I turn around and offer it to them because of a no-show, will they be huffy?

Ach, I'm over-thinking this. Will message the freegler with a deadline of next weekend and if not collected, will get it out of here.

Onwards!

ETA; have messaged the other person and given them a polite deadline for collection which is several days' hence and more than a week after they said they'd collect them.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    GQ - I get ruthless with freeglers that do not collect when they say and don't message. It goes to the next person on the list. If they get huffy - tough!
    Just persuaded DH to relinquish a video camera - I'll put it on Fleabay & see what happens.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 10 May 2016 at 9:21PM
    Bulky waste was collected today - king sized bed and mattress with 4 drawers, 'spare' double mattress (kept under my bed 'Justin Case' all DS3's friends visited at once), desk and chest of drawers.

Also finally made it to the doctor's (have tried and failed several times) to get the results of my blood tests. I now have tablets for a vitamin D deficiency. Just googled the symptoms - muscle and joint aches, bone pain, tiredness and depression. I can check all 4 although I went to the doctor's with the tiredness (sleeping up to 12 hours and still dropping off in my waking hours). Depression had come out of nowhere as I thought I was doing ok - I do have depression and feel it is now something I live with, but I have developed lots of tricks to get by and manage to be happy most of the time.

Still so good to know there is a physical cause as opposed to me being old and fat and lazy and useless (I was trying to make myself angry enough to start fighting back). I have learned to pace myself, alternate sitting and standing tasks, rest when I need to and accept that it is no use comparing myself with what I used to do and beating myself up.

Hoping to tackle either some physical chores or the paperwork mountain tomorrow.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    silvasava wrote: »
    GQ - I get ruthless with freeglers that do not collect when they say and don't message. It goes to the next person on the list. If they get huffy - tough!
    Just persuaded DH to relinquish a video camera - I'll put it on Fleabay & see what happens.
    :) I think I'm too soft. Most of the freeglers are the nicest people but it amazes me that you get someone who asks for an item within an hour of it going up, you communicate and arrange a pickup and then they're a no-show and no further communication! This particular freegler seems nice but there was a hiccup and they will be collecting in a few days, so that's all good.

One of the funniest things of this type was pre-freegle when I was selling a bedside table for £5 via the free-ads paper. Had a phonecall one afternoon asking if I still had it, gave address, they said they'd come right over and were never seen nor heard from again! Alien abduction, probably. :p I sold it to someone else the following week.

mothernerd, wow for getting rid of something as big as a bed, that's a kondo day and a half. Hope you soon start to feel better.

Righty, a quick cruselet around the web then I really must put this toy away for the night. Laters, GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills