Garage ruined engine when car took in for MOT

Comments

• BeenThroughItAll
    BeenThroughItAll Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2017 at 3:37PM
    Glover1862 wrote: »
    I think the OP has a good case, if you pay for a service and MOT it's reasonable to expect the service to be done before it goes in for MOT (obvious reasons). I would bet that the garage did something while servicing, ie ran the car with no oil or something similar. A car with only 55k miles in good working order, good service history suddenly dies in the few hours the garage has it while they happen to be tinkering with the very parts that have failed... big coincidence I'd say. Ask nicely first but don't take any rubbish, I'd also bet that they are buying time, hopefully trying to fix it or changing the circumstances to suit them.

Long and short, perfectly good car goes in, they mess about with it and now it's dead. If the service was not carried out then they have a much better case.

I'd argue the opposite. The MOT should be done first, in order to allow any items requiring a fix to be done at the time of the service.

You're also falling into the 'only 55K miles is a good thing' trap. It isn't. It's catastrophically low mileage for a modern diesel-engine. 7-8K a year over 8 years, lots of short trips, only one annual trip to a garage. I would be surprised if the bonnet is lifted more than once a year at that visit.

I know the OP won't share the registration so we won't be able to check, but low mileage cars of that profile with that type of use very often have similar histories when you look at the previous MOT records - lots of fails or advisories for tyres, bulbs, wipers, empty washer bottles, warning lights on, and the like.

Just because the car was running OK when it went in for it's annual bit of care and love, and 'only' has 55K miles on, doesn't for one second mean it was in 'good working order'. It just means it was in 'working order'.

The garage may well want to help sort this out, but I certainly wouldn't expect them to bear 100% provable liability. I've witnessed a Ford Focus blow up in a garage during the MOT test. It was very low mileage, a diesel, did a lot of short runs and suffered from diesel runaway during the smoke test. It went pop, and the owner ended up with a big bill - not the garage's fault.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Running any engine (and especially a diesel) at speed "off load" is potentially very damaging and high levels of torsional oscillation can cause catastrophic engine failure - usually a crank web. The MOT "smoke test" is crude, non-representative, (no load), and potentially damaging. Engine failures during testing are thankfully rare due to safety factors in design, but the test has the potential to over stress several engine components if a resonance occurs.

You need to check that they raised the engine revs to no more than 2500rpm in a controlled fashion. Ask straight off the bat how they do the emissions test?
    Pants
  • Glover1862
    Glover1862 Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 May 2017 at 3:25PM
    We'll agree to disagree, if it's an old banger then yes, maybe better to do the MOT just in case it has major faults. On a reliable relatively low millage car that has value (like a fiat 500) then doing the service first should make MOT failure much more unlikely as a lot of the checks would have been done. Saves advisory notes. Also, if the MOT is so stressful, maybe new oil at the right level would help.

I don't buy this 7 year old car with 55 miles will mean it's on it's last legs, it could have been used on relatively long runs just not that often, very often the case in London were public transport is good (and often already paid for) and parking is a pain and expensive. I know several people who only use the car on the weekends, one couple for weddings and parties only!

bottom line, I wouldn't accept this without a good fight, seems very fishy it would die in a very small window when they are handling it.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    it could have been used on relatively long runs just not that often, very often the case in London were public transport is good (and often already paid for) and parking is a pain and expensive.
    You've not read the thread, then?
  • BeenThroughItAll
    edited 18 May 2017 at 3:38PM
    We'll agree to disagree, if it's an old banger then yes, maybe better to do the MOT just in case it has major faults. On a reliable relatively low millage car that has value (like a fiat 500) then doing the service first should make MOT failure much more unlikely as a lot of the checks would have been done. Saves advisory notes. Also, if the MOT is so stressful, maybe new oil at the right level would help.

I don't buy this 7 year old car with 55 miles will mean it's on it's last legs, it could have been used on relatively long runs just not that often, very often the case in London were public transport is good (and often already paid for) and parking is a pain and expensive. I know several people who only use the car on the weekends, one couple for weddings and parties only!

bottom line, I wouldn't accept this without a good fight, seems very fishy it would die in a very small window when they are handling it.

From an earlier post you must have missed:
    Well, we live in London so it's probably had a life of short trips pretty much taking the dog to the park, trips to tescos etc... I doubt she has even ever taken it on a motorway. I think she just gets it serviced once a year along with the MOT.
    ETA: Value-wise, it's probably about three and a half grand's worth, four at a push. It's not a Rolls - and unless someone's servicing rigidly to the manufacturer schedule (which I suspect they won't be, even the main dealers don't bother), many potential MOT fail points are probably not being inspected at all in a 'service'. I'd be surprised if a car with 'once a year bonnet lifting service' schedule at that age will be getting more than oil and filter, maybe if it's lucky an air filter and a damp rag wiped over it.

If the car's choked up with soot, has worn out turbo bearings from never being warmed up properly, a clogged DPF, or any of the other multitude of low-mileage faults a modern diesel suffers from, no amount of servicing, before or after the MOT, will prevent it blowing up if it runs away or the cambelt/chain fails.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I think the OP has a good case, if you pay for a service and MOT it's reasonable to expect the service to be done before it goes in for MOT (obvious reasons).
    I disagree, for the reasons explained by other posters which are more obvious than those you are perhaps thinking of.

I would bet that the garage did something while servicing, ie ran the car with no oil or something similar. A car with only 55k miles in good working order, good service history suddenly dies in the few hours the garage has it while they happen to be tinkering with the very parts that have failed... big coincidence I'd say.
    I disagree. 55k of city miles in a diesel isn't good mileage. We don't know it has a good service history and even if it's been serviced annually, it perhaps should have been on a different service schedule for the mileage type it does. For me, the bigger coincidence is the failure of the car given what we know of its mileage history and of the examples of similar failures cited with the same model.

Ask nicely first but don't take any rubbish, I'd also bet that they are buying time, hopefully trying to fix it or changing the circumstances to suit them.

Long and short, perfectly good car goes in, they mess about with it and now it's dead. If the service was not carried out then they have a much better case.
    We don't know it was perfectly good. When you say "mess about with it" do you mean "carried out the MOT test" or "carried out a service?"

I think you're pre-judging the garage's competence and honesty. None of us know the exact circumstances so we're all hypothesising but it would seem to me that the most likely scenario is that an eight year old car with a harsh usage history and minimal servicing has broken down whilst being tested, either as part of the MOT or perhaps during a post-service test-run.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'd be extremely suspicious about the engine "just failing" at the MOT time. Makes you wonder what was actually done to it. How it was used, and who by.
    Getting any proof though is a different matter.
    Without proof it's their word against the car owner.
    I'd see what they offer first.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    I'd be extremely suspicious about the engine "just failing" at the MOT time. Makes you wonder what was actually done to it. How it was used, and who by.
    Getting any proof though is a different matter.
    Without proof it's their word against the car owner.
    I'd see what they offer first.

As discussed, diesel engines are run to their governor at MOT time - that's not something most people do in normal use, and certainly not unloaded.

The process is known to carry a significant risk, and that is why test centres have 'ADVICE TO OWNERS PRESENTING DIESEL VEHICLES' posters up.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As discussed, diesel engines are run to their governor at MOT time - that's not something most people do in normal use, and certainly not unloaded.
    But it IS something that any engine in even half-decent health will take with ease. If it causes a problem, it's really only hastened the inevitable a little bit.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    AdrianC wrote: »
    But it IS something that any engine in even half-decent health will take with ease. If it causes a problem, it's really only hastened the inevitable a little bit.

Yes, totally agree - I deliberately didn't mention that aspect as I didn't want to stir the 'is this Fiat a neglected shed' pot any further!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure