PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    pineapple wrote: »
    I think there is a (sort of) prepping element to this. Just in the sense that we need to be aware that we are in the middle of a huge population shift and it isn't going to stop any time soon. I do believe this is bigger than we are being told (dons tin foil hat).
    Various figures have been given for the split of war refugees v economic refugees. Whatever - there is a substantial economic element. Why would they risk their lives? Maybe they think it is worth a gamble. Maybe the risks have been downplayed at their end. Maybe people see this as the promised land. Maybe we would too, in their shoes.

Some of them have family here and are trying to reach them. They think that if they claim asylum in the first place they reach they'll have to stay there away from their families.
  • mardatha wrote: »
    Going on your hols is not prepping lol.

But being ready, in case you are attacked in your own car, is.
  • pineapple wrote: »
    Various figures have been given for the split of war refugees v economic refugees.

There's no such thing as an economic refugee.

The term is economic migrant.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    There's no such thing as an economic refugee.

The term is economic migrant.
    Oops. Quite right Bob.
    I should take more water with it. ;)
  • singlestep
    singlestep Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 October 2016 at 8:05PM
    pineapple wrote: »
    But what is the definition of children in this context? I tend to think of 10 year olds in distress and who wouldn't want to help them?
    However if it's a 16 or 17 year old or someone going on 18, I am less sure. Sorry if that makes me Mrs Nasty. :(
    News items on the plight of migrant children are so often accompanied by footage of young kids but it would be interesting to see an age breakdown..
    PS I'm thinking more in the context of the Calais camps here.

It certainly doesn't make you Mrs Nasty. You have legitimate concerns.

I'm equally as interested in the breakdown of ages and also of nationalities. In my mind, the ten year olds/young children would have a family member with them. I'd certainly hope so. The slightly older ones are equally vulnerable in their own ways to all sorts of exploitation - we all know the messes teenagers living in stable-seeming homes can get themselves in to. How long has it taken them to get there and how? Why have is it better or necessary to leave home in that way or at that age? I had this story in mind. I've been thinking about it since.

westcoastscot, I'm sure no one means to scare anyone off. We all have different perspectives for different reasons. I do feel a lot of empathy for refugees of all ages too and am grateful that I can't imagine what they have come from that makes Calais better.

I'm going to shut up about it now, though.

--

GQ, my job doesn't involve lot of data entry but I do have to create lots of resources in very little time. It's irritating to have to switch to my left hand but probably does me some good, even if just to get me to slow down and strip things back a bit.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    GQ, MITSTM recommended I get a track ball.

I did and it's brilliant. I even found an old one on ebay that works with my Windows 95 machine.
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 October 2016 at 9:47PM
    I read in the news that Russia (Putin) is thinking of putting a base in Cuba. :eek: Also Vietnam (wonder what China thinks of that?)
    Russia is ratcheting things up all over the globe. There was a time when the US had influence with them. Not anymore. What will hinge, for the US, on our election in November? And for you guys, it's the exit from the EU. Unsettling for a time at least.
    It's very sobering. I'm thinking things could get stirred up, folks. Time to check those preps.

I was wondering yesterday>>What will things be like in ten yrs? Our world changed dramatically after 9/11 as did your's to a lesser extent. Now Europe's experiencing the fallout of our policies. Obama left a vacumn when he pulled everything out of Iraq all at once...leaving all of our military equipment behind. Our generals warned him that would be a huge mistake, but he thought he knew better. Apparently not.

The East has been very quiet...except for the nutcase in N Korea.

Me oh me, interesting times we live in. I'm usually not this cranky or morose. This stupid election has the entire country on edge. 314 million people and these are the best two we can find?
    Stupid, stupid, stupid!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2016 at 10:08PM
    jk0 wrote: »
    GQ, MITSTM recommended I get a track ball.

I did and it's brilliant. I even found an old one on ebay that works with my Windows 95 machine.

Glad you're sorted jko:T. I think it makes the world of difference personally.

MILA - I have a theory that seachanges go through in society within a 10 year timespan. A theory first developed for positive changes - but it does seem to apply to the negative ones as well (darn it). I know I look back even 10 years and Society feels so very different to then - and it's only such a short time ago. Looking back 30 years and it could be a totally different country almost - as it feels SO different between my 30s and my 60s. I am guessing the pace of change is much faster than it was in most previous centuries (ie prior to the 19th century - as things seem to have moved pretty fast then). The pace of change has been galloping along in the 20th century - and it feels like it's been going at breakneck speed for the last few years. Is that the downside of the Internet coming into play there - ie as ideas spread across the globe so fast now. Personally - I can even see that seachange has happened in my society just since I moved elsewhere in the country - and that was only 3 years ago!!!!
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 12 October 2016 at 10:36PM
    Dipping in here again....

News is saying Mr.T is going to be out of stock of goods due to Uniliver demanding more dosh. Other shops may follow suit i guess. Time to stock up maybe ?

Off to google just what Unilever supply in case i need anything from them...... :)......hopefully not.

Edit, they dont seem to make anything i cant do without or be able to get elsewhere. I do t use Mr.T anyhow, but we can all get by without Unilever it would appear having a look.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • I'm yet to turn 40 and so I am trying to manage RSI for the long-term. I have next week off, so won't have to think about it as much :)

I can also recommend MTSTM's advice on the track ball. It makes a difference at home. Work can't/won't provide me with one - and I'll not be taking one in as I don't have a workstation for my own exclusive use. As it is, one colleague likes appropriating my nice pens/stationery and occasional dehydrated lunch left in my desk drawer for my own emergencies. As a promoted member of staff, although not my line manager, he must realise that they are not provided by the workplace.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure