AMAZON on BBC1 Undercover

Options

Comments

• teabelly
    teabelly Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Beats me why amazon even have people walking. Why aren't they on electric scooters/platforms with baskets? They could be programmed to find the item automatically so there wouldn't be the issue of not getting there fast enough.
  • Podge52
    Podge52 Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    Options
    teabelly wrote: »
    Beats me why amazon even have people walking. Why aren't they on electric scooters/platforms with baskets? They could be programmed to find the item automatically so there wouldn't be the issue of not getting there fast enough.

It's obviously cheaper to maintain the human than the scooter/trolly.
  • nonnatus
    nonnatus Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    Options
    As a Midwife I REGULARLY walked more than 12 miles every shift, pacing up and down the wards and racing around hospital corridors. I was never in better shape to be honest! How can people be complaining about it?? It's hardly a 12 hour shift at the bottom of a coal mine is it???
  • brendon
    brendon Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    People need to be realistic. A mile is not a far distance. I sit at a desk all day, but I still manage to do 6 miles everyday -- 2 miles walking as part of my commute, 3 miles running exercise and 1 mile to go get lunch. If walking it part of your job, 8-15 miles per shift is entirely reasonable.
  • brendon
    brendon Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    Well they would have to dumb it a down a long way for you to get it.
    Honestly every time you say something, its a like a smack your forehead moment.
    10k is just over 6 miles,not 10 miles. Did you go to junior school? because thats what you do there, basic maths including weights and measures. Im sorry but you need to get a grip with the basics because you appear to really struggle.

If you took your time to read the thread, rather than jumping in and calling people names, you'll see that 10k actually refers to 10,000 steps, not 10km.
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    teabelly wrote: »

It's only going to be a matter of time until they do away with the people walking around the warehouse completely. Have a look at this video of a warehouse in the USA.

http://youtu.be/3UxZDJ1HiPE
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    AP007 wrote: »
    Staff walking over 8 miles on a shift! Working in the dark too with a count down on the scanner used to 'pick' stock' off the shelves.
    8 miles is not short is it?
    Really? Who the hell walks 10 miles a day.10,000 steps is 10 miles?

I used to walk only about 2,000 probably do nothing like that now.

Perhaps your job applications convey this idleness and lack of desire to work? They sense you want to browse the internet rather than crunch numbers seven hours per day.

An average of one mile each hour - so not walking for forty minutes in the hour. Hardly strenuous.

And as to ten and twelve hour shifts - if the warehouse is in the middle of nowhere who wants to end a nightshift at four am in the morning and have to wait around for two and half hours for the first train? Better to be in the warehouse and still being paid until the trains start.
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Options
    Having worked in warehouses I think it entirely doable to walk that distance in a shift, what I found unreasonable is the pick rate and time limits. What I also found objectionable is the points system and how easy it is to get the sack from the place.
  • Podge52
    Podge52 Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    Options
    scooby088 wrote: »
    Having worked in warehouses I think it entirely doable to walk that distance in a shift, what I found unreasonable is the pick rate and time limits. What I also found objectionable is the points system and how easy it is to get the sack from the place.

But isn't the pick rate directly related to the distance needed to walk to pick it?

Therefor if the walk is doable, so should the pick rate be.

I've never worked as a picker so if it's not the case as stated above I'd like to be enlightened.
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Options
    Podge52 wrote: »
    But isn't the pick rate directly related to the distance needed to walk to pick it?

Therefor if the walk is doable, so should the pick rate be.

I've never worked as a picker so if it's not the case as stated above I'd like to be enlightened.

Of course it is, but with my experience of warehouses there is more often than not the wrong stock in the location you have been sent to, and that is never figured into the times you have been given to pick. Also the fact that in last night programme he was picking in the dark too also giving rise to a unrealistic pick rate. These things do happen and should be remedied as soon as they are reported.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure