Barclays Bank (merged)

Options

Comments

• rickshaw500
    Options
    many thanks for all the advice, its very gratefully recieved.

money saving rules
  • nagee8
    Options
    hi

I wrote to Barclays requesting from my statements and my refund. firstly i have received the statement copies but from 2002 to 2006 only, secondly they informed me that it would take 4-8 weeks to find a solution. My question is what do i do now?? wait for them to respond in the timescale they have said??? help me
  • samsaric
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am an international student who has banked with Barclays for over 4 years (firstly on a student account, and then on a High Interest International Cheque Account). Before writing to Barclays and requesting my money back, I just wanted to know if the £5 monthly administration charge that they take if your balance at the end of the month is less than £2000 is lawful? Could I claim back this amount as well? It seems highly injudicious to expect a student (and an international one at that) to have over £2000 in their account at the end of each month.

I'll admit though that I have been rather stroppy with my account from the beginning - having had many bounced cheques and missed direct debits. Plus, they also wrote to me once saying they would be closing down my account due to my having 'misused' it. I managed to avoid this by ringing them up and apologising.

I just wanted to know if I would get myself into a worse pickle by claiming back the rather substantial amount they have charged me for the apparent 'evils' I have committed over the last 4 years. Anybody out there in a similar situation as I am? Please advice and add your thoughts - they'll be much appreciated. Thank you.
  • DebDay
    DebDay Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi just wondering who to make the cheque out to when sending first letter?? Might make me a sound a bit thick but don't know whether it is to be made out in the name of the bank or not. :)
  • DebDay
    DebDay Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK I understand that Barclays might be t**** and close down the joint account that my Husband and I are going to be making a claim from. But I have just opened a new seperate account with them. Can they close that too if the claim is only in my husbands name or can I use this as the Parachute account?

Secondly, who do I make out the initial cheque to when requesting charge records?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:confused:
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    NAGEE8: The bank has 40 days from reciept of the the fee (this will be the same date as the subject access request if you sent the two together) to respond. If you sent your SAR recorded, find out what date it was signed for and count forward from there. If they don't reply by this date, they are in breach of the act.

SAMSARIC: You can't claim back admin charges as unlawful. However, it might be worth looking at whats out there as an alternative - the account doesn't seem to be appropriate for your needs. Don't trust the bank to necessarily advise you what suits your needs. They'll recommend what suits them first and foremost. However, the bounced cheques, overlimit fees etc can and should be claimed back. Start the ball rolling!

DEBDAY: In theory you should be okay, but I would open an account in an entirely unrelated bank or building society. Even if the claim is in your husbands name, it is a joint account. Remember, the parachute account is to cover the worst case scenario. The worst case scenario here is that the bank decisdes to stop dealing with you altogether - though that is really, really unlikely.
  • loren83
    loren83 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We issued a Claim on Monday, Barclays have until the 9th to reply.

Can't wait to hear what Barclays say!! I'm helping my boyfriend with the claim and monday was also his birthday... hope thats a good omen!
  • James_B_2
    Options
    Hi!

Wow... my first post! I've been lurking for quite a while now, with great interest, and now I need some advise!

Right... I'm in the process of claiming overdrafts charges back... I've wrote the letters, started a claim, and now Barclays have made a defence.

Barclays' defence basically states my information wasn't detailed enough, they don't believe what they were doing was wrong morally/legally, it's in my t&c's, and some other stuff... It looks like a pretty standard defence.

I've been sent a questionnaire to fill out from the court as the case has been transfered to my local court.

Has anyone else's gone this far?

I assume I'm okay just to keep going, fill out the quesionnaire and hope for the best?

I look forward to your advise!

Cheers,

James :)
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome James!

Yes, there is a very boring standard defence that Barclays issues, often without even bothering to remove paragraphs that aren't relevent. IMHO it's designed to scare you off proceeding more than it is to actually defend yourself. It sounds like you got it.

Keep going, fill out the questionnaire... oh yes indeedy!

I'm personally not that far yet but I know plenty of people who are. You really should go look on consumer action group. They have a lot of people who have been this far and beyond, and can give you great advice on how to word the questionnaire etc. Aside from anything, they can show you that, although this is a big (and possibly terrifying) step for you personally, it is all fairly routine stuff that you don't need to let get to you.

Although you should stick around here too ;)
  • queenofthedump
    Options
    Hi all

I handed my letter to my local branch last week can anyone tell me how long they take to respond to you- or how long i should wait before chasing up the bank.

Thanks

Marieb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family