PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Disappearing Threads and the like

Options

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    Help! The 'What are you making for Dinner' thread seems to have disappeared again? What's happened to it? i'm sure everyone wants to know about my lamb casserole :o

I certainly do :rotfl:

Who’s nicked it..... the thread, not the casserole :D
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 January 2018 at 1:33AM
    Options
    It has gone again!!

I started the last one inadvertently, by asking where the old one had gone. It's gone from my history.

I will start another, then if the old one can be resurrected hopefully they can be merged?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5772733
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And now the Love Food Hate Waste thread has gone, this is really so unfair, both of these threads are a great source of hints, tips and recipes, particularly for those who really need to tighten their belts and perhaps have not been taught to cook or manage food storage and preparation.

If it is a case of too much spam, then I like many others, think that the spam button should be re-positioned where it is less likely to be "hit" accidently. I feel that they both, and predecessors both fully met Martin's philosophy:money:

Very unhappy MSEer today:(:(:(:(
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I didn't get a reply to my last post so I have posted it on site feedback is that the correct thing to do?
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I can’t see where hitting the spam button has anything to do with disappearing threads. As someone else has already said, as soon as you hit the spam button you get a message in the middle of your screen thanking you for reporting the post as spam. All you have to do is close that message then hit the Not Spam button to undo your mistake. Believe me, I have done this loads of times, it is indeed easy to hit the spam button by mistake. Maybe the admin bods can clarify why threads disappear?
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Zippychick could you please close the KonMari 2017 thread, we've got anew one. I PMd you but perhaps this has gone awol.

Thanks
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I can’t see where hitting the spam button has anything to do with disappearing threads. As someone else has already said, as soon as you hit the spam button you get a message in the middle of your screen thanking you for reporting the post as spam. All you have to do is close that message then hit the Not Spam button to undo your mistake. Believe me, I have done this loads of times, it is indeed easy to hit the spam button by mistake. Maybe the admin bods can clarify why threads disappear?

Andreas post at the start of this thread explains it

Having checked both mentioned threads it does seem the same issue has occurred.

I have flagged both up to Andrea as part of the ongoing issue. This issue is well outside of my control I'm afraid

to quote my first post in this thread
    * Sadly, myself or the Forum team aren't able to reinstate threads auto deleted in this way. The forum team have confirmed it's for legal reasons as we would be deemed as "publishing" the information, and would be liable for the content on the threads. I'm unable to comment on or discuss the teams stance on this. I first checked they were happy with the way I have explained this :)
    I suggested the site feedback board to give feedback on this precise issue as we have no more input here. Suggestions may include moving the spam button to stop the issue happening

It is simple to undo an incorrectly clicked spam button. Sadly, if someone hits it by accident, they may not realise the consequences and just leave it ticked as spam. If enough people do this, the spam count goes up.

I have every sympathy, lost content is very upsetting so you have my sympathy.

Sorry I'm unable to help more.

Kindest regards

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• bob_a_builder
    Options
    Still don't understand why a whole thread has to be deleted due to too many spam hits
    MSE response is they would be responsible for publishing it
    but
    The spam button refer to a specific post which someone believe to be spam, either genuinely or accidentally, so auto delete those posts not the whole thread

And generally in programming systems, Auto Deleting something very rarely actually deletes anything, it just marks it so that it won't be shown and or held for review prior to actual deletion

Don't see this problem reported being reported on the vBulletin support forums much ?
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Possibly someone is deliberately targetting threads by using the spam button, it appears to be an automated process triggered by spam reports, and perhaps picking the opening post in a thread as spam just deletes the entire thread?
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The debt free diary thread is now filled with people who have had to make a new diary because their's have been deleted.

I'm beginning to suspect foul play, but that could be the paranoia in me.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family