Scam?

Options
I received a text message this morning (unfortunately I've deleted it, so can't quote the exact terms). It said that my "P60" tax repayment "from Gov.UK" amounting to £700-odd pounds (a specific amount was specified, including a pence amount, so it looked "official") was now finalised and giving a link with warning that my bank account details would need to be verified (or some such wording). I have no tax repayment claim pending. Nothing to indicate who sent the message. I deleted the message on the assumption this is a scam. Has anyone else had something similar?

Comments

• bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    My wife had something similar even though she had only just had a real refund. I'm sure the HMRC website even says they will only ever write to you, not text or email.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes, as per https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/reporting-fraudulent-emails:
    HMRC never send notifications of a tax rebate or ask you to disclose personal or payment information by email or text message.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have no tax repayment claim pending. Nothing to indicate who sent the message. I deleted the message on the assumption this is a scam. Has anyone else had something similar?
    If you have no tax repayment pending, did that give a clue that it might be a scam? I get these on a daily basis across a variety of emails. It doesn't matter whether it's a tax repayment, Amazon account locked out, Natwest online banking error, they're all scams.

Far safer to assume all are scams unless you know otherwise.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    If you have no tax repayment pending, did that give a clue that it might be a scam? I get these on a daily basis across a variety of emails. It doesn't matter whether it's a tax repayment, Amazon account locked out, Natwest online banking error, they're all scams.

Far safer to assume all are scams unless you know otherwise.

That's what I did :)
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    On a similar note, whenever I get a phonecall from the likes of SKY, if they ask me to go through some security questions I refuse, saying that it's them who are wanting to talk to me, not the other way round and they could be anybody!!
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ...Has anyone else had something similar?

As the old hag on "Round the Horne" used to say: "Many, many times" :)
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had this many times along with the usual scam phone call from Microsoft.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MABLE wrote: »
    Had this many times along with the usual scam phone call from Microsoft.

But the calls are more fun if you have half an hour to spare.

I wonder if anyone has had an email from 'NS&I' , asking them to click on a link to claim their million.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure