entering a DMP but now concerned about risk of CCJs

Hi, I'm hoping you can help me.
I've recently sent off the paperwork to enter into a DMP due to a reduction in salary/hours at work, my debt repayments are no longer manageable.
On further reading, I've read on stepchange site I can get default letters, visits from debt collectors and CCJs. :eek:
I'm very concerned about this. I have never had a default letter or anything like that, I want to pay off my debts at a payment I can afford so I avoid debt letters and visits, I don't want more stress.
How likely is it that I will get a CCJ?
I only have 11 months left on my loan, is it worth taking this out of the DMP and just putting credit cards and overdraft into it, or can't i do that?
Please help. I'm stressing now. :(

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,
    No need to stress. Its unusual to start a DMP without even defaulting on your debts, but actually, that's what I did, a few years ago.
    I was in a similar position to you, more debt though, my experience was that lenders didn't want to know, as up till that point I hadn't broken the terms of my agreements by either stopping paying, or paying less.
    Things have moved on a bit now though, and lenders are obliged to treat you fairly.

Its a good move to go with stepchange, and yes, if you pay less than the contracted amount you will get collection letters, possibly default letters too, but as long as you are making the effort to repay what you owe, any court action, and possible CCJ`s are very unlikely.

What usually happens if a certain creditor does not like your offer of payment, they will say so, stepchange will of told you this, and just to keep paying what you can, all the creditor is likely to do is sell the debt on to a DCA, and the game begins again with them.
    This is common industry practice, court action usually only occurs if the debt has been ignored for a long period of time, so pecker up, your doing the right thing, don't be worried about a few computer generated letters, they all go very nicely in the recycle bin :D !!!!!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • AleMrsT
    AleMrsT Posts: 577 Forumite
    Thank you sourcrates. I've asked a couple of forums and asked on a Facebook group, most have said similar to you. I guess if I carry on as I am trying to juggle the payments and paying debt with debt, in the long run ill probably be worse off than I will be doing the DMP. I guess any spare cash I do have by adapting to a more frugal lifestyle I can put into my new savings account to use as an emergency fund instead of trying to overpay.
    Thank you. I will carry on as I was.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi AleMrsT

Just in the interests of reinforcing what sourcrates and those on other forums have said already. As the DMP is not a legally binding agreement, Stepchange will feel it's important to point out the risks you mention, even if they're relatively low - it just wouldn't be appropriate for any of us debt charities to say that a DMP can guarantee avoiding DCAs, court action etc.

Good luck on your debt-free journey.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • It costs them time and money to get a CCJ and, even with one, they can't take money you don't have.
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Hi,

I am in my second year of a dmp with stepchange, hadn't defaulted on any debts before starting it. All but 1 of my creditors have frozen interest and that pesky one has reduced it after a bit of a battle involving the FOS. I have had no mention of ccj's from any of my creditors.. owe lots and i'm a house owner, you will get letters and default notices this is standard.
    Should you with to find out more do pop over to the dmp mutual support thread and have a read back, lots of information available and we are all in the same boat.

Puzz.
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • AleMrsT
    AleMrsT Posts: 577 Forumite
    Thanks all, you've put my mind at rest so I think I'm going to carry on as I was. This forum is amazing! Thank you so much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure