LLoyds internet banking fraud detection

Had some 'fun' earlier today with Lloyds bank security\fraud detection. I tried to transfer a fairly large amount of money (some '000s) out of a current account, but not that huge and certainly never had any problems transferring money of this size around before, by faster payment.

It was to a new savings account, so I went through all the security of setting up a new payment (various passwords, then an automated call where I verify the payment). All ok, so I do a test payment of £1 (in case I've keyed in any of the account details incorrectly). When I can see that goes through ok, I then follow up with the full amount. Lloyds decide to decline the payment - annoying enough, but I thought maybe it was over the faster payment limit or something, so I'd need to make 2 payments of half the amount each.

Then I realise they've also decided to lock me out of all my accounts and I have to ring a fraud number. This I do, and get several more security questions: what's the payment for, plus various questions taken from my credit file (who's my mortgage with, what's the o/s balance etc.). I pass all of this security, and the rep then goes away to 'investigate' for about 10 minutes, before telling me I have to go into a branch with photo ID, and he can't tell me the reason why!

I try complaining for a bit, but the rep hides behind the 'for your security' line. So eventually I give up, go to the branch, who ring the fraud line for me and pass me over to the same person I was speaking to from home, who then unlocks my accounts and finally tells me the reason why it was blocked in the first place: I was expecting him to say something to do with money laundering (the money had only recently come into the Lloyds account from another savings account via a current account with a different bank), but the reason he give is suspected malware on my computer!

This sounds like rubbish to me - e.g. how would their internet banking systems be able to detect malware on my computer? And even if it could, why couldn't he tell me this over the phone - why do I need to go into a branch with photo ID? The moment I get home I run an Anti-virus scan which comes up blank.

Comments

• I've had the suspected malware excuse from Halifax in the past. However I didn't need to go to a branch to unlock my account.

I got the impression it was a made up reason when they didn't want to admit their system made a error. Or possibly because my adblocker was blocking some of their webtracking which it falsely then detected as malware.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    I had exactly the same thing on two occasions over a spacing for about 4 months I had to go down into the branch with my passport before they would let the payment go through

the branch told me it was because sending a pound and then a large amount is what the fraudsters do and so that's what triggers the fraud filters not sure if I believe it or not

on the second time I went in the branch manager came out and said it would take a bit longer because the fraud people didn't believe it was the branch and the branch had to provide ID that it was the branch and that would take a few minutes you couldn't make it up in any case I now no longer use Lloyds as my account to transfer large sums through when I switch savings accounts

I wish savings accounts could be switched like Isas where the money never hits your banking account but is transferred straight between providers
  • If they did suspect you of money laundering they could not tell you because tipping off is a criminal offence, so the malware statement is probably to get you off the phone.
  • beefturnmail
    beefturnmail Posts: 905
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 23 November 2017 at 11:36PM
    If they did suspect you of money laundering they could not tell you because tipping off is a criminal offence, so the malware statement is probably to get you off the phone.

But they only give me the malware statement, after I've been into the branch and they've accepted I am who I say I am, and have unlocked my accounts.

I'm considering raising a formal complaint to Lloyds.

It's not so much blocking the payment going through - I understand systems need to be in place to prevent fraudulent transactions - but blocking access to all my accounts and refusing to unlock over the phone, even after I have correctly given several different security details (3 passwords, 1 automated phone call to my home phone, 4 details from my credit file relating to other products) is not on.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I ran foul of the fraud dept at Lloyds a couple of years ago. I had moved bits of money to various accounts (not £000ks!) on the Saturday using telephone banking.

On the Sunday tried to set up a smallish SO again by telephone , certainly not closing account and got passed to the fraud dept with some very officious guy with strong N Ireland accent. Couldn't answer all the security questions and after an hour I said something like 'I've had enough!' at which point he threatened to block all my accounts and I would have to go in branch with ID.

I can't remember how it was resolved but I made a complaint and didn't have to go to the branch.
    If I had been clearing all the money out I would have understood but setting up a small SO?
    It was not a good way to spend over 1+1/2 hours on a Sunday morning!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • The banking app/website must be absolutely marvellous to detect malware on your computer, well done Lloyds.
    Now, if only they could detect real fraudsters instead of law abiding customers, that would be neat.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Badger50
    Badger50 Posts: 123 Forumite
    edited 24 November 2017 at 2:42PM
    I recently had something similar after transferring a £1 test payment followed by a larger amount. I only had to ring up though, not go into a branch, but the larger amount was only £1000 in my case. I was given a very-difficult-to-believe story about their system detecting that my landline phone was insecure - which seems to be just a variant of the "malware detected on your pc" story.

p.s. all the security checking was done on the allegedly insecure phone line!
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Badger50 wrote: »
    I was given a very-difficult-to-believe story about their system detecting that my landline phone was insecure - which seems to be just a variant of the "malware detected on your pc" story.
    p.s. all the security checking was done on the allegedly insecure phone line!

Lloyds could end up with severe egg on face when they try that sort of twaddle on someone using a Gigaclear full fibre FTTP broadband only line - while still using BT landline for voice calls.
  • Missus_Hyde
    Missus_Hyde Posts: 531
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 24 November 2017 at 11:48PM
    I'm considering raising a formal complaint to Lloyds.
    It's not so much blocking the payment going through - I understand systems need to be in place to prevent fraudulent transactions - but blocking access to all my accounts and refusing to unlock over the phone, even after I have correctly given several different security details (3 passwords, 1 automated phone call to my home phone, 4 details from my credit file relating to other products) is not on.

I certainly would consider raising a formal complaint; I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, whilst transferring money into various savings accounts and sensibly like the OP, I always move a small amount of money first, to ensure that it goes into the receiving accounts successfully. I received a notice online that my Lloyds accounts were blocked and had to ring up their fraud dept and answer some security questions (fortunately they accepted this and it didn’t necessitate my going into a branch with ID as the OP was forced to do.) I remember feeling quite miffed at the time and complained bitterly about it to the person to whom I was speaking. :(

Recently, we had an extension built and before I made any payments, I rang Lloyds and informed them that I would be moving large amounts of money through my accounts to pay my builders and told them very firmly that I didn’t expect any problems from them when paying the money out. To be fair to them, in this case there was no trouble, even though I sent my builder a small amount as a first payment, to check that it went through to his account successfully.
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The banking app/website must be absolutely marvellous to detect malware on your computer, well done Lloyds.
    Now, if only they could detect real fraudsters instead of law abiding customers, that would be neat.

The biometrics can detect by your typing style if it’s you enetering your password, if you break your arm and use your other hand it knows it’s still you. Phone banking can detect your voice in a wind tunnel at 100mph.

You will never know the reasons why an account may go through further security, but it will be for your benefit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure