Furniture without long delivery time?

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Most furniture is made to order and UK manufactured will have a lead time of six to eight weeks, 12 weeks for Chinese goods. Summer holiday factory close down will add two weeks to this time soon.
  • Zither
    Zither Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    check the local independents for ex display and return stock.

don't rule out top second hand there are some good buys out there even top end stuff people are just changing for reasons unknown.

Yeah I've got no probs with second hand - just it's finding it - I imagine a lot of the 'best' second hand stuff goes quick. I kind of just want to go to a shop and buy some and know I can get it delivered next week. Where do you recommend for second hand gear?

Thanks!
  • Zither
    Beales are very good,and not too expensive :)

High street? I've never heard of them!! :shocked:
  • Zither
    Most furniture is made to order and UK manufactured will have a lead time of six to eight weeks, 12 weeks for Chinese goods. Summer holiday factory close down will add two weeks to this time soon.

Yeah this was my expectation too - I was hoping that some chains carried a warehouse stock that would require less delivery time. I don't mind waiting a month but 12 weeks is ridiculous!

Are there any furniture stores that have their own warehouse rather than made to order?
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Absolutely worth approaching British Heart Foundation - you may get a special deal on an entire houseworth... With white goods as well - don't be bashful, you can get all sorts of furniture & gradually trade up as you find nicer pieces. They also sell new stuff - the lads outgrew their bunks & now crash on their own brand new beds (mattresses separate) thanks to the BHF.

+1 for IKEA which can be good solid furniture - if you put it together correctly. Not the best-just-moving-in party game, but enough alcohol & players & you won't be able to get into bed without ducking under the bookcase for Ages. But it'll seem pretty normal.

I'd also check out local auction houses, and of course freegle & freecycle. Why buy brand new when with a little patience you can install harlequin slightly shabby chic that you're in the middle of upcycling?! Setting visiting-in-law traps, indulging your daydreams of being a painter (of chairs etc) & enjoying yourself?

Auction houses tend to have pieces cleaned right up ready to install, and thus you can end up with an originally several thousand quid dining set reduced to a few hundred and only you know. It was made to order, (just not yours), but it was made by folk who gave a hoot, and of real solid wood often as not.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    When I made similar enquiries to Harveys, they had some lines that were available from their warehouse 2 weeks after order, and also some remaindered individual items in their showroom available immediately.
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Lots of places that usually make to order have some clearance stock consisting of either cancelled orders or ex-showroom stock.

We got an excellent quality sofabed from Willow and Hall. Their clearance section items are all available for delivery within 2 weeks and is here: https://www.willowandhall.co.uk/clearance.html OK, so they're mostly an online retailer, but they do have a showroom in Chiswick if you are London-based.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Zither wrote: »
    Nowhere near Swindon unfortunately!
    So where are you near? Up here in Staffordshire there are furniture outlets for returned/unwanted stuff.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Zither wrote: »
    Yeah I've got no probs with second hand - just it's finding it - I imagine a lot of the 'best' second hand stuff goes quick. I kind of just want to go to a shop and buy some and know I can get it delivered next week. Where do you recommend for second hand gear?

Thanks!

Freecycle type places, gumtree, local adds, ebay, auctions, charity shops.

if happy to get something good enough and trade up when you have time you could well find something very reasonable to tide you over.
  • Westbridge are a big upholstery manufacturer for Next, M&S and others. Factories in North Wales but they have an outlet in Stoke (Meir Park) Whatever they have is 50% of the NExt or M&S price. THey have a 40ft trailer of sofas delivered every week. Either customer returns/cancellations or excess stock. Well worth a visit if in the Midlands
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure