Options

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    HAH!
    Well, PasturesNew is probably going to have a number of people visiting who are happy to sit on the floor in the dark, eating chips (with wooden forks :D) & generally having a right good chinwag.
    Eh, PasturesNew? :)
    Ref a thread from the Marriages board. :)

With their own wooden forks, don't forget that.;)
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Theres 3 adults, teenager and dog...

We spend on average £140 a week - that includes everything x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    edited 5 April 2016 at 8:54PM
    Options
    What sort of meals do you have? If I spent £50-75 on myself each week just for food I'd be having steak/salmon every night! Especially if you're shopping at Aldi, batch cooking, freezing etc.

For example, a spag bol meal from Aldi would cost me £1.69 for 20% mince, about £3 for onions, peppers, mushrooms other veg to chuck in. £1 for chopped tomatoes and passatta. Pasta is about £3 for 3 kilos in a number of supermarkets, not sure about Aldi as I don't like their pasta.

£8.69 for that roughly and I get about 6-8 portions out of it. Depending on your pasta to sauce ratio yours might be less but that's still at least £40 for lunch and breakfast!

Nothing particularly extravagant, although I'm a bit of a foodie who likes to cook lots of different dishes from many different cultures and cuisines, so my store cupboard is quite extensive and varied, e.g. I recently splashed out £5 on some cuttlefish ink as I fancied a black risotto, but that will also make several other dishes.

I also like eating exotic meats (ostrich, kangaroo, buffalo, horse etc) but never pay more than I would for a decent rump steak (thank heavens for military discount). I certainly don't go buying fillet steak or lobster, unless it's for a very special occasion and I like to balance some of the more expensive cuts of meat & fish I eat with cheapy meals such as shepherds pie, sausage & lentil casserole, spag bol, stories, corned beef hash etc. Plus, I frequently make gallons of soup, often for pennies a bowl.

As I said in a previous post, I only gave that figure as a very rough estimate which probably nowhere near reflects reality. I might only eat £15-£20 in actual food costs during a week, who knows! I would have to actually keep a food diary for a few weeks to get a true cost of what my food bill actually costs, and I will do. Plus I'm often feeding extra mouth at weekends when adult kids come to stay.

This is because I don't do a weekly shop, never have done. I shop once a month or so at Aldi (spending £100-£150) to buy fresh produce, tins, dairy, frozen fish etc then do top up shops at the local Co-op & Asda a couple of times a week. I also use Amazon save & subscribe for a few items monthly (mainly Tassimo coffees) plus I've just discovered their new Pantry section so placed an order this weekend (£80) to top up store cupboard and household stuff (laundry, dishwasher, toilet/kitchen rolls).

I just averaged out what I tend to spend each month in Aldi, Asda, Coo-op and Amazon which tends to be around £300-£350 a month but this includes food, alcohol and household sundries. I don't include toiletries as I tend to buy these separately in Superdrug or Boots and I don't include dog food as my boy is raw fed so his food comes from separate suppliers.

PS It's just occurred to me that if disaster struck tomorrow and I had to suddenly spend an entire month, maybe two, trapped in my home, then I certainly wouldn't starve to death ... although I may have to become a little creative with my cooking during the second month :rotfl:
  • Feral_Moon
    Options
    I wouldn't split a breast into 2 portions unless it was a very big chicken so, for me, an average chicken is 4 portions ( 2x breast, 2x legs) with scraps as treats for the cats.

If I were worse off (as I have been in the past) the scraps would make a risotto for 2, as long as you were adding cheese to it.

I couldn't eat more than half a breast from a large chicken, so we'd always share one between two. A leg consists of a thigh + drumstick so the meat on one leg alone is enough to feed two in a curry, risotto, pasta dish with added veg.

So I can easily get 8 meals from a large FR chicken. That leaves the wings (cooks prerogative, as are the oysters :rotfl: ) but my parents used to give us kids a wing each and slice of breast for Sunday lunch back in the day! Now, when I roast a chicken, I cut off the wings as a (raw) treat for my dog.
  • Feral_Moon
    Options
    I don't much like most veg - I certainly couldn't eat a whole plateful.:o

Ahhh now that's where we differ. If I'm cooking a roast dinner then there's always Yorkshire puds, no matter what the main meat dish plus roast potatoes, parsnips and at least 2-3 other veg dishes from mashed root (celeriac, swede, carrots, turnips) steamed baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower cheese or stir-fry leeks & cabbage etc - depends what's in season - in summer it might be a medley of roast Mediterranean veg & sweet potato or salads.
  • Super_Whiskey
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Nothing particularly extravagant, although I'm a bit of a foodie who likes to cook lots of different dishes from many different cultures and cuisines, so my store cupboard is quite extensive and varied, e.g. I recently splashed out £5 on some cuttlefish ink as I fancied a black risotto, but that will also make several other dishes.

I also like eating exotic meats (ostrich, kangaroo, buffalo, horse etc) but never pay more than I would for a decent rump steak (thank heavens for military discount). I certainly don't go buying fillet steak or lobster, unless it's for a very special occasion and I like to balance some of the more expensive cuts of meat & fish I eat with cheapy meals such as shepherds pie, sausage & lentil casserole, spag bol, stories, corned beef hash etc. Plus, I frequently make gallons of soup, often for pennies a bowl.

As I said in a previous post, I only gave that figure as a very rough estimate which probably nowhere near reflects reality. I might only eat £15-£20 in actual food costs during a week, who knows! I would have to actually keep a food diary for a few weeks to get a true cost of what my food bill actually costs, and I will do. Plus I'm often feeding extra mouth at weekends when adult kids come to stay.

This is because I don't do a weekly shop, never have done. I shop once a month or so at Aldi (spending £100-£150) to buy fresh produce, tins, dairy, frozen fish etc then do top up shops at the local Co-op & Asda a couple of times a week. I also use Amazon save & subscribe for a few items monthly (mainly Tassimo coffees) plus I've just discovered their new Pantry section so placed an order this weekend (£80) to top up store cupboard and household stuff (laundry, dishwasher, toilet/kitchen rolls).

I just averaged out what I tend to spend each month in Aldi, Asda, Coo-op and Amazon which tends to be around £300-£350 a month but this includes food, alcohol and household sundries. I don't include toiletries as I tend to buy these separately in Superdrug or Boots and I don't include dog food as my boy is raw fed so his food comes from separate suppliers.

PS It's just occurred to me that if disaster struck tomorrow and I had to suddenly spend an entire month, maybe two, trapped in my home, then I certainly wouldn't starve to death ... although I may have to become a little creative with my cooking during the second month :rotfl:

Haha thanks for the detailed response. Would love to try more exotic meats on a more regular basis! And I will be making my way over to yours when the apocalypse happens.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I couldn't eat more than half a breast from a large chicken, so we'd always share one between two. A leg consists of a thigh + drumstick so the meat on one leg alone is enough to feed two in a curry, risotto, pasta dish with added veg.

So I can easily get 8 meals from a large FR chicken. That leaves the wings (cooks prerogative, as are the oysters :rotfl: ) but my parents used to give us kids a wing each and slice of breast for Sunday lunch back in the day! Now, when I roast a chicken, I cut off the wings as a (raw) treat for my dog.

I think you're talking about a bigger chicken than I am.

I don't normally buy portioned chicken but I got a couple of reduced FR chicken breasts yesterday and, having checked, they're 125 gms each (uncooked) so would be about 80gms once cooked.

I'm afraid I wouldn't want to split 80gms of chicken between 2 people.
  • Feral_Moon
    Options
    Haha thanks for the detailed response. Would love to try more exotic meats on a more regular basis! And I will be making my way over to yours when the apocalypse happens.

You're more than welcome! :beer:

In fact I think it probably would benefit me to itemise my shopping bills further as I suspect I'm possibly spending as much on alcohol per week as I do on food! I can pop down the Co-op for a bottle wine and spend the same again, if not more, on reduced items and promotional items. Usually stuff I don't immediately need but I can't resist a bargain lol :o
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

Having said that, I'm still nowhere near PN's budget. She is incredibly disciplined!

I have issues, phobias and fears that prevent me cooking .... and I've no interest whatsoever in cooking .... and I don't shop at Asda (where food is lovely and tempting, with glorious packets) ... so I go out, get the raw basics and knock up meals in the microwave mostly.

It's just me - and I can't really be bothered with the whole cooking malarky. It doesn't interest me whatsoever.

Without the interest, I've no motivation to spend money on food beyond the essentials.

Hence the small bill :)

I eat tasty food ... and doughnuts. Cheesecakes and chocolate biscuits this week ... and fruit scones.

Tea tonight was 2 toasted fruit scones with a blob of marg on them :)
    Then, a bit later on, another 2.
    Lunch was beans on toast.
  • Feral_Moon
    edited 5 April 2016 at 9:54PM
    Options
    I think you're talking about a bigger chicken than I am.

I don't normally buy portioned chicken but I got a couple of reduced FR chicken breasts yesterday and, having checked, they're 125 gms each (uncooked) so would be about 80gms once cooked.

I'm afraid I wouldn't want to split 80gms of chicken between 2 people.

If I'm buying a whole chicken then it's usually 1.8-2.0kg and that is what I was basing my portions from. If I buy a smaller 1.2-1.4kg chicken then we tend to have a breast each and the legs might make a couple of risottos/pasta dishes if we're lucky. It's just not cost effective to buy smaller birds and I always get a greater meat yield from a FR chicken.

That said, we like to eat a lot of chicken and buying whole chickens is not always feasible. So I regularly buy 5kg chicken breast for £25 and I get 20 X 250g breasts which are pure meat, no injected sugar water that you get in supermarket chicken breasts. I can use one of these breasts to feed three to four people in something like curry, fajita, pasta, risotto, pie, stir fry etc.

ETA : cooked protein vs raw protein is entirely different. If you're eating more than 1g per kg body weight pure cooked protein per day then you're kidneys won't like you very much lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure