British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler

The customer service advisor then went on to BLAME me - for not 'guessing' my bill and putting money aside for the future!

Whilst your frustration with BG is understandable, you stated in your earlier post that you 'often switch supplier to save money'; so being a frequent switcher you presumably were aware of the prices on this tariff and can read a meter.

So is it not reasonable that you should have made a guesstimate of how much you owed and put it aside?
  • FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    Been with them for quite a while and fortunately no complaints.

Also their latest freeby a selection of chocolates has gone down a treat with our kids.
  • Anonymously
    Anonymously Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Switched to them with MSE energy club deal and had a bad time as I reported.

Just got an email saying that from July 1 they are taking away one of the sweeteners that was mentioned in the switch ie that of Nectar Points. So seems to me they have changed the contract halfway through.
  • Hey all.
    Sorry, I've not been around here in a very long time, but I know everyone is incredibly helpful & AWESOME.

I'll keep this very brief.

My housemates recently moved out after 2 years to save for a new home. We'd lived elsewhere for a year prior to that too.

Despite having given relatively regular readings for gas/elec to folk who came to the house (I personally let them in at least 3 times & my housemate phoned in readings) we were told in Sep/Oct '16 that we were in debt despite monthly direct debit payments. Fair enough.

My housemate told us all & together with the BG representative (hours on the phone), she arranged higher payments for a few months (Oct-Feb) to zero the account. Which we did.

She phoned up to get confirmation that the account debit had been cleared which she got & we arranged slightly higher monthly payments. All fine.

My mates were moving out in May, so there was a final metre reading to make sure everything was fair.

The BG rep now said that there was a new debt of £250 (in the couple of months since we were told it was clear & we were paying more so no debt would happen again), which my housemate absolutely contested.

We closed the account as we were obviously disputing this farce, and wanted it looking into.

I got a shout form my housemate this morning saying that BG were now demanding £308 immediately or they would be sending our details to a credit agency.

For the record, we weren't heavy users. I don't have the figures with me (I need my hm to send the paperwork back), so we were paying a normal amount monthly.

Oh! another thing BG did is send letters saying that they have set up new accounts under the landlords name, despite no one asking/okaying that, and of course we've already gone to a new supplier.

Any, and all help is welcome.
    Thank you all.
  • dlvemv
    dlvemv Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 12 June 2017 at 4:30PM
    British Gas couldn’t get our meter readings right for weeks. We switched from Scottish Power, who gave them their closing readings. I immediately gave them our meter readings when they first emailed the request. Although my readings and Scottish Power's readings were the same, British Gas still got it wrong. I would submit readings on our online account and they would email me the next day asking for readings. <sigh>

After countless calls and emails to customer service throughout October, I was assured they had the right readings in their system, but the first bill was incorrect. It took from 12 October until 27 January to get them to sort out the problems.

We were with Scottish Power for 15 years before trying this collective switch. Every year we would negotiate a new SP tariff -- always competitive. The same as one with British Gas, but without the £30 cashback. Their customer service is impeccable and they never made a mistake. I will go back to them next year. I wish MSE could team up with Scottish Power for a collective switch!!

NOW British Gas raised our tariff, even though we are going into the summer months and obviously will be in credit. I am not confident about their systems or their staff's competence.

Does anyone know if there is a way to update my Cheap Energy Club online account dashboard to show what they are actually charging me? They have raised my monthly direct debit by £15! I know they will owe me ££ throughout the summer and at the end of the contract, but their website does not allow me to adjust my direct debit.
  • Update - The ombudsman agreed with my complaint, that British Gas had made repeated service errors (that I was not to blame!) and through this British Gas had to increase the financial award credited to our account.
  • Used to have BG, then switched to E.On, and than last year I switched back to BG. All the time getting cheaper rates (thanks Energy Saving Club).

On fixed tariff until Oct 2017 and been paying £55.50 per month.
    Currently in credit.
    Now just been told that they have recalculation and will refund the credit and then start charging me £70 per month. How crazy is that?

I think they are assuming that in October I will just revert to std tariff and so next years costs will be much higher. A very stupid assumption. I would hassle them about this but it's not worth it. I'll just switch in Oct and get the overcharge back. But to me this seems a crazy way to proceed.

Has this happened to anyone else?
  • Yes I am also with BG until Oct 17, sent my reading in and just got the result, I am £172 in credit and they are going to increase my payment to £178 a month from £152.
    In one section of the letter it states that the payment plan runs from Jan 17 to Jan 18 so I also think they are assuming that I will stay with them on the standard tariff after Oct 17. As I started the plan in Oct 16 it should run to Oct 17.
    I do use a lot of heating but up to Oct 17 I would expect warm weather well into Sept and even Oct should not be too bad.
    I will contact them and ask the payments to stay the same as I will leave in Oct.
  • Pete9501
    Pete9501 Posts: 427 Forumite
    Switched the BG as part of the MSE switch thingy last Autumn. Previously were with Eon who refused to allow us an existing customer to have the same great new deal as a new customer, hence they were fired.

No problems with BG to date and prices are very competitive.

Pete
  • Just had an email from BG inviting renewal after MSE October 2017 Fix.

They clearly state current costs and Standard Tariff Cost in full pounds and pence and then give two figures of Direct Debit savings over Standard Tariff (That naturally I would not even contemplate using!) that I will get if I take their recommended tariff.

I can fathom NO good reason for this other than to deceive customers. Why can't the actual figures for the replacement tariff cost be in the same format ie. Either cost above current or below Standard tariff?

I am excellent a Math but I had to take to pencil & paper.

Deplorable tactics.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure