PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Floss wrote: »
    I had a good session - 4 shops and £23.50 spent on a blue spotted gathered jersey Phase Eight dress, a BNWT Boden tweedy shift dress, rusty-colour Kaliko wide-leg linen trousers, White Stuff top, pink linen M&S shirt, a Zara batwing cardi, Zara printed linen tunic, an Autograph grey cashmere sweater and a Tu broderie anglais tunic/ cover-up. Well chuffed with that lot :D
    And righly so! Please take me with you next time :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    A great haul, Floss, some good brands there.
    Mir! wrote: »
    ....especially pleased cos Wallis have bothered to centre the pattern and match up the sides perfectly, (a particular bugbear of mine), so well done Wallis!! :T
    Mine too. :mad:

I used to do a lot of dressmaking so mismatched fabric really shouts out at me.

I have a jersey dress with horizontal stripes of different widths and colours that I only wear on holiday as a 'day' dress for going to have lunch or for the pool.
    It's dreadfully put together and it really sets my teeth on edge when I wear it and stand sideways.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Well today was utter chazzer madness. I unexpectedly saw a parking space near a library branch I generally view from the majesty of London traffic, so took the opportunity to nip in and return an overdue book that had been in my handbag for a couple of days.

My walking route to the library took me past a chazzer, and I picked up another 6 books from the display outside. I hadn't planned to look inside, but a fellow pedestrian pointed out the big sale sign in the window to me. Would have been rude to resist ;)

What I came out with was 3 Autograph blouses for my mum, 3 for me by Per Una and Long Tall Sally - which I fully expect my mum to wear / sister to pinch! For my niece: 6 nearly new and very smart dresses in various sizes (including one that was obviously a bridesmaid dress) and 3 BNWT smart t-shirts. And a mug for my mum, clearly labelled Mum from her best child :D

Then I bought a couple of books from the said library - "The Lighthouse" for me, a "Horrible Science" book my niece - for 10p each. My total haul (not including the library fine :o) came to £14.91.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »

Mine too. :mad:

I used to do a lot of dressmaking so mismatched fabric really shouts out at me.

I have a jersey dress with horizontal stripes of different widths and colours that I only wear on holiday as a 'day' dress for going to have lunch or for the pool.
    It's dreadfully put together and it really sets my teeth on edge when I wear it and stand sideways.

Ha.....yes I used to do a lot f dressmaking too and i can remember being taught in my school needlework classes about the importance of matching and placing checks and stripes. These days even the more expensive makes don't seem to bother about things like that :o
  • patricia50
    patricia50 Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Went out charity shopping today and picked up some little bits and bobs including a fossil handbag and 5 nice Jasper Conran cups and saucers. In the shop where I got the cups and soaucers I was looking through a box of bags and there was a lovely I think it's called a French market shopper bag. It was a large woven straw type shopper with leather handles (short and long ones) I liked it but wasn't sure whether to get it or not. I wandered around the shop and then went back and picked it up and looked at it again. That should have been a sign but I left it. After going off for an hour or two to do some more shopping I was going for my bus and decided to go back in the shop with the bag and get it if it was still there. Now..... if it had been gone I would have just thought "ohh well I should have bought it" but worse than that..... there was a woman looking through the box of bags and "my" bag was at her feet filled with her stuff. That was so much worse than if it had just been gone lol. It just goes to show if you like something you should just get it ��
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    patricia50 wrote: »
    Went out charity shopping today and picked up some little bits and bobs including a fossil handbag and 5 nice Jasper Conran cups and saucers. In the shop where I got the cups and soaucers I was looking through a box of bags and there was a lovely I think it's called a French market shopper bag. It was a large woven straw type shopper with leather handles (short and long ones) I liked it but wasn't sure whether to get it or not. I wandered around the shop and then went back and picked it up and looked at it again. That should have been a sign but I left it. After going off for an hour or two to do some more shopping I was going for my bus and decided to go back in the shop with the bag and get it if it was still there. Now..... if it had been gone I would have just thought "ohh well I should have bought it" but worse than that..... there was a woman looking through the box of bags and "my" bag was at her feet filled with her stuff. That was so much worse than if it had just been gone lol. It just goes to show if you like something you should just get it ��
    Bummer, patricia50. :(

But console yourself with the fact that the straw would most likely catch on your clothes and 'bobble' them. ;)

I have a policy that if I really, really want something I'll buy it there and then.

If I'm not sure, I'll leave it on the basis of when I go back, if it's there it was meant for me and if it's gone, it wasn't. :)
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    I've been on the lookout for a copy of Hairy Bikers' Great Curries for at least a year, it was recommended to me by another poster on MSE.

It's £17.00 on Amazon. :(

I look in every charity shop every time I go in but no luck so far, I'd happily pay £6.99 for a good copy. :)

I'll keep a lookout for this in the chazzer I work in - we have loads of books & all paperbacks 50p & hardbacks £1....did I say my weakness is books??
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi,
    WhS have 70% off the Hairy Bikers Curry book at the moment. So it is now only £7 instead of £25.
    I am going to receive a copy for my birthday next month.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Bummer, patricia50. :(

But console yourself with the fact that the straw would most likely catch on your clothes and 'bobble' them. ;)

I have a policy that if I really, really want something I'll buy it there and then.

If I'm not sure, I'll leave it on the basis of when I go back, if it's there it was meant for me and if it's gone, it wasn't. :)

What a brilliant philosophy. I will add it to my other CS mantra - if I don't know what it is, I don't need it! :rotfl:
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport