Probate and Declaration of Trust

Options
Hi, I'm looking for some advice following the recent death of my grandfather.
When my Grandmother passed away 15 years ago he placed his house in trust to myself and my brother.
Land registry title deeds show all 3 of our names as proprietors (Grandfather, myself and brother).
Following his passing I understand that we should complete form DJP to remove his name from the title deeds.
First of all, is this correct? Secondly, does this mean we can sell the house or do we need to take it out of trust? And finally if we're already named on the title deeds do we need to apply for probate?
Many Thanks Jeff

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You won't need probate to deal with the house you may for other reasons.

You will still have to deal with any HMRC tax requirements.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    When my Grandmother passed away 15 years ago he placed his house in trust to myself and my brother.
    Land registry title deeds show all 3 of our names as proprietors (Grandfather, myself and brother).
    Following his passing I understand that we should complete form DJP to remove his name from the title deeds.
    First of all, is this correct? Secondly, does this mean we can sell the house or do we need to take it out of trust? And finally if we're already named on the title deeds do we need to apply for probate?
    Many Thanks Jeff
    You will need to deal with winding up the trust. This will almost certainly involve paying CGT on the gain in value. Not a job you can sensibly DIY. You need to get professional advice from a solicitor who is a STEP member.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    What type of trust?
    Was it the whole house?

If a life interest trust there could well be no CGT issues as the value of the house remains part of the Estate and thus could be liable for IHT.
  • jeffrey1111
    Options
    Declaration of trust? Split 50/50 once he died.
    House value approx £100,000.
    Thanks
  • getmore4less
    Options
    Did he retain the right to live in the place?
  • jeffrey1111
    Options
    Yes he retained his right to live there.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,780 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Many Thanks Jeff

Form DJP plus an official copy of the death certificate will update the register re the death. If you intend to sell then there is no need to update the register beforehand. Just let the buyer have an official copy of the death certificate.

If it was in three names then the legal ownership has passed to the surviving two so you can sell and take 'receipt of the capital monies' - I quote those words as I assume there is a form A restriction on the title to protect the trust and which refers and restricts a sole surviving owner for example selling on their own.

As getmore4less states you don't need probate to deal with the legal ownership of the property but may need it to deal with the his wider estate.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • getmore4less
    Options
    Yes he retained his right to live there.

Read up on life interest/interest in possession trusts.
    The rules for these changed in 2006 so be aware when reading you will se things like immediate post death that referes to the later rules.

Unless there is something unusual(worth passing by a solicitor if not sure) this could be quite straight forward.
  • securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The rules for these changed in 2006 so be aware when reading you will se things like immediate post death that referes to the later rules.

Unless there is something unusual(worth passing by a solicitor if not sure) this could be quite straight forward.

There isn't an IHT issue at £100k, so the question is whether there is a CGT issue, presumably.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options

Given the OP's lack of knowledge of trusts and taxation he would be mad not to get professional advice before doing anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure