Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Sponsor a Child - which charity is best?

Options

Comments

• Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas???!

Thanks
  • kissmekate_2
    Options
    Hi

This is a searchable register of loads of charities Uk and worldwide. It allows you to see an analysis of each charity and work out which one is the one that suits your needs. Hope it helps

http://www.charitiesdirect.com/index.asp

Love
    Kissmekate
  • amyparr
    amyparr Posts: 256 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I spent some time with a volunteer organisation in Cambodia and they have set up a child sponsorship programme which I would highly recommend:

http://www.kdfosponsorship.co.uk/home.html

There is also a facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2329149772
  • GeoffreyB
    Options
    You could probably do best through QuickenTrust - www.quickentrust.com - as they don't take any admin or other fees from your monthly sponsorship, getting such funds from other sources.
  • pinksleepybear
    Options
    I sponsored a child through Plan for 10 years until she turned 18 this Spring. I was even lucky enough be able to go out to Vietnam to visit her. I can assure you that the money you donate does not go directly to the child, but into projects to help her community. I went on a tour and visted her school (which Plan helped build), saw the irrigation system Plan had set up, wells they'd dug. I met with local community leaders and teachers (a sponsor visit is a really big deal for them).

Plan also work a lot with the local people about best farming practices (pretty much everyone is a subsistance farmer in their village), health care issues etc. The girl I sponsored stayed on in school until she was 18, unlike everyone else in her family who had to start working in the fields when they were about 11.

Also while I was out there, I saw the enormous catholic church in the village - no mud floors or dodgy well for the church, and the priests preach that they should have as many children as possible. Still makes my blood boil!
  • Absalom1
    Absalom1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    You are thinking of doing something good....... It's really nice. I know one organization, name: Thai Children's Trust, from where you can sponsor a child.
  • angie54321
    angie54321 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    I've just discovered Heal - (Health and Education for All) - started by an Indian GP working in Peterborough - he started the charity by donating his family home in India as the orphanage.

It's a very small charity, and relies totally on volunteers, meaning that 100% of your sponsorship goes on welfare and education.

Prices from £7.50 a month for education, £12.50 for education and residential, and £48 month for higher education.

See:
    http://www.heal.co.uk/sponsor-a-child.html
  • GiveItBack
    GiveItBack Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Options
    angie54321 wrote: »
    I've just discovered Heal - (Health and Education for All) - started by an Indian GP working in Peterborough - he started the charity by donating his family home in India as the orphanage.

It's a very small charity, and relies totally on volunteers, meaning that 100% of your sponsorship goes on welfare and education.

Prices from £7.50 a month for education, £12.50 for education and residential, and £48 month for higher education.

See:
    http://www.heal.co.uk/sponsor-a-child.html

but you could argue that they plan to hold reserves way above what is advised by many people.

personally, I'd prefer them to spend a bit more on running the charity, that way they'd be able to use the donations quicker instead of hanging on to them....

They also count their donations net, which implies that they used the money as they were raising it to cover costs, which means the accounting, though legally fine, is a bit misleading....

The thing is really that admmin costs are a rubbish way to evaluate a charity, and I'm personally suspicious of anyone that claims they have none.
    for more info check out www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk . You'll find me there.
    New Year's Resolution: Post less unnecessary posts. (and that was 2007)

yes, I realise I may appear cold and heartless a lot of the time.
  • philllip
    Options
    This year I am making a tax deductible donation to Action Aid particularly to their actionaid.org.au/child-sponsorship campaign. Why, the work they do is great!
  • Rosie75
    Rosie75 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been sponsoring a child in Tanzania through SOS Children's Villages - someone has posted the web address above. They operate worldwide.
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund #14: £9000 / £10,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport