PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

HMO and pennypinching landlord

2»

Comments

• G_M wrote: »
    Any hostility is directed at a landlord who gives us all a bad name!

1) check via council website if the HMO is licenced. If not, should it be

2) decide if what you want is
    a) to get things improved and stay, or
    b) to leave in Dec

If a) see below. If b) put your energy into looking for somewhere else for December or the new year.

3) Read how to deal with repairs. Note in particular the protection you can get (IF you do it right) from revenge eviction:
    * Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new protection (2015)

4) what exactly does your tenancy say about
    a) electricity usage
    b) heating

5) Always communicate in writing so you have a record and history of complaints/reports and LL response

6) if you can act as a group you are stronger than acting individually - Losing one tenant is not the end of the world to a landlord. Losing a whole HMO house-full is not so easy for a LL to accept!

1) it is licensed. I did check thar before i moved in
    2) I would like to get things sorted and stay, but at the same time its very difficult to get the landlord to do anything.
    3) Thank you for the link i will have a read :)
    4)Our tenancies just say it is incorporated into the rent. It mentions nothing about usage caps or temperature control.
    5) Communication goes through the agency but i do have the landlords email, so i copy them both into communications now.
    6) Ad it stands, none of us are happy with his control by wifi.

The other stuff in the house currently is minor in the grand scheme of things but the temperature is the biggie.

I work outside most of the time whatever the conditions and with no tumble drier or ability to turn the heating on when i walk in soaking wet and cold is really demoralising and it could make me ill.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    5) Your tenancy must give you an address "for serving notices on the landlord". That is where you write, addressed to him by name. It may well be c/o the agency address, but still write to the LL at that address. Copy the agent.

If you wish, you can write to the agency and ask for the LL's actual address. By law they have 21 days to give it to you (Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 Section 1)

I'd recommend an initial, polite, letter pointing out the lack of adequate heating, and the inability to adjust it as required yourselves. Refer to the tenancy agreement which indicates heating and electricity are incuded and suggest that either
    * more adequate heating needs to be provided, with controls within the building, or
    * you will be forced to use alternative supplementary heating

If you ALL sign the letter it will carry more weight.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Its in England, and i last signed up for 6 months on 2nd July

Just to point out that earlier in the thread, you said you were in the tenancy until December.

On the quoted information, your 6 months expires on 1 January 2017 - so you'd be there for Christmas (unless you moved out sooner - but would remain liable until the end of the 6 months.

Do you and the other tenants have a joint contract, or a separate one each?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Right, it's a licensed HMO. If he won't let you control your own heating complain to the council. Contact Shelter as well.
  • We are all on different contracts.

I have contacted the agency today with a request for the landlords postal address, which the agent is reluctant to provide.

I honestly thought the agreement included the month of July but yes it looks like im stuck until Jan because theres no way i can pay 2 lots of rent every month.

It does come on sometimes for an hour during the day, but not for long. The thermostat is in the kitchen, which if you could see the layout of the house is almost like an extension so even if its 19c in the kitchen the rest of the house can be much cooler. Overnight it has dipped down to 12c and we are only in October.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have contacted the agency today with a request for the landlords postal address, which the agent is reluctant to provide.
    In writing?

Did you refer to the Act?

Agents are often unfamilar with the Act (or pretend to be) - there's no training required to be an agent. And enforcement of the Act depends on the council/Trading Standards being willing to prosecute. Given their limited resources, they tend to only do so where there are significant failures by the agent or LL.

However quoting the Act can sometimes pursuade they of the right thing to do.......
  • G_M wrote: »
    In writing?

Did you refer to the Act?

Agents are often unfamilar with the Act (or pretend to be) - there's no training required to be an agent. And enforcement of the Act depends on the council/Trading Standards being willing to prosecute. Given their limited resources, they tend to only do so where there are significant failures by the agent or LL.

However quoting the Act can sometimes pursuade they of the right thing to do.......

Thank you for that i will try again tomorrow :)
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you for that i will try again tomorrow :)

To emphasise, it must be in writing. Pen, paper, envelope, stamp, proof of posting. None of your new-fangled communication methods.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure