Villa Renters.com

Has anyone used this website?

We are looking to rent some self catering accomodation in Majorca and can't find anything we like with availability on Owners Direct, so I am casting around for an alternative website.

I need to know whether they have come up with the goods for anyone else? I know that with these sites, the quality of the accomodation is down to the owner, not the website, but I thought it was worth checking!

Alternatively, has anyone got any great recommendations for somewhere quiet, but not too quiet, in Majorca? All of the hotels we can find in our price range are big tower blocks and that really isn't our style..

Thanks in advance for anyones help!

Comments

• Villarenters.com is a good site, now partly owned by Teletext, I understand.

The difference with villa renters is that you book online, by credit card, but you still deal with the owner. Compared to Owners direct, where you deal with booking through the owner, by cheque, etc.

Hope this helps.
  • That's great, thanks!
  • I am very concerned as a villa owner with this site as I am unable for the last four days to get payments transferred for my last booking.They state they have a technical problem with only this part of their website.The problem has been listed on their website which means no one is getting paid for their bookings.Does anyone have any information regarding this?
  • I have used this site on a few occasions to book accommodation and also as an owner and have found it excellent in both aspects.
    For booking accommodation there are verified reviews so you can get a really good idea of which property is right for you. There is also a money back guarantee scheme should you have a problem with your accommodation, I'm not aware of any other site that offers this.
    From an owners point of view it's great because the site handles bookings and payments securely and professionally. When I joined there was no setup fee, which I think there is now (about £50), I wouldn't begrudge paying this though as you get a lot for your money.
    If you sign up to VillaRenters via apartmentsturkey.org you can get a free listing on their site too, I missed out on that though, already being a VillaRenters member.
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    We have used it a few times when booking villas in Bulgaria never had a problem

Steph xx
  • eslick
    eslick Posts: 2,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    try vrbo.com used it loads of times for the US but they also do Europe. Dont forget to haggle :)
  • mchale
    mchale Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    Google: laymyhat & have a look on the forum you'll find loads of holiday rental sites mentioned that you can have a look at
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Since this has been brought up again....

we have used villarenters twice now.

First time was last Christmas for townhouse in Malaga, worked out very cheap but it was as per the photos and just as expected.

We have booked for Orlando this Christmas.

The main reason we went with villarenters is we have had bad experiences with a Canadian property booked direct before, where we had paid extra for foreign currency cheque but he was still hounding us expecting us to pay his bank charges - even while we were out there he was trying to phone the condo at all hours. But we had paid all we agreed to, so it out us off booking direct again.

Villarenters.com uses a thing called rental systems that deals with all the money and makes sure everyone gets paid, you pay in GBP even if the price is dollars or Euros. I have used their live chat before too, to get them to chase up an owner who hadn't confirmed availability, and it was no problem.

I've also learned to go with the 'instant confirmation' properties if there's nothing to choose between two properties, as owners do hedge their bets and forget to update the calendars, much like any other property ebsite, really.

Have a great holiday!:D
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Jelliebeen
    Jelliebeen Posts: 331 Forumite
    My parents advertise on holidaylettings.co.uk. I also use it to book s/c holidays. Works like Owners Direct, where the booking goes straight to the owner and is not dealt with by a middleman. I see this thread has been resurrected, but may be of use to people now as well.
  • Would I be covered by Section 75 if I paid for an appartment by Mastercard credit card through villarenters.com? I ask because of this on the Villa Rentals FAQ: "Although your booking contract is with the owner, we are the credit card merchant and ultimately we would be responsible for returning your money if the service was not provided." and this on Martin's article about Section 75: "You’re usually unlikely to be covered when payments are made to a company that isn’t the one providing you with the good or service because the credit card company must have a direct relationship for them to be equally liable."

If I'm not covered by Section 75 would I be able to get my money back if anything goes wrong using a chargeback?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport