PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can I freeze fresh leeks?

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi kate,

We have an older thread that should help so I've merged your thread with it to keep all the suggestions together.

This thread might give you some ideas on how to use them up too:

What to do with oodles of leeks?

Pink
  • Hi Guys
    Apart from open freezing, i also cook leeks and onions together and puree them and freez them in portions ready for soups etc.

Hope this helps
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thanks Bigpaddles, welcome to OS! :D
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• jc2703
    jc2703 Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    just slice and freeze. best used for soups etc and cooked from frozen. not my wisdom - i googled :-D
    Climbing back on the OS wagon after a short vacation to Recklessness
    Quit Smoking 08/06/09
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    I buy up any 'whoopsied' leeks that I see in the supermarket and freeze them (just trim, rinse off any dirt/grit and slice). I even freeze the 'trimmings' for putting into my slow cooker scouse :grin:. The only bits that get thrown out are the very bottom stump bit and the really coarse end of the dark green tops.
  • p00
    p00 Posts: 824
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Aldis had leeks on offer a couple of times lately so I buy them then cut them up and freeze them for soups and pies and they are fine. In fact I buy most things on offer at Aldi and freeze them anyway
    xxp00
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    almost all my leeks are frozen. Split if dirty as easier to wash, slice, wash, drain and spread on t towels. Bag and freeze. They are one of the greatest standbys in my freezer
  • jenster
    jenster Posts: 505
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    aldi was doing leeks as one of there "super5" so i bought some well a few actually LOL-- wizzed em in the food processor with some garlic and onions i had - froze them in packs (poundland freezer bags) and i use them in shep pies spag bols ect
  • I have just used some frozen leeks they were soft and did not cook well and when eaten tasted foul in fact husband said they tasted almost fermented like whiskey. Never going to try that again we both feel ill having eaten only a tiny amount of them :(
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    cambourne7, Sorry you have had a problem with your leeks. I've always frozen both home grown and shop bought ones. Just chop and freeze. Never had a problem before.

We only ever use them in casseroles/mince type meals as they are "nothing" on their own.

I have noticed that this thread is between 3 and 6 years old btw, but a frozen leek is a frozen leek :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure