B&Q PVC windows and doors - any good?

I need a new half-glazed back door, and a new window about 1m square, give or take.

Having almost fallen off my chair at the prices I’ve found online, I was in B&Q and found the perfect-looking back door for about £150, and window for £80. The bloke who is making the new door and window openings can fit them, so no problem there.

The question is – are they any good? Obviously I don’t want something that’s a load of rubbish and completely insecure. However, given that we’ll have to replace all of the windows in the house at some point in the next 5 years or so, they don’t necessarily have to be the most durable windows/doors ever.

All thoughts and advice gratefully – as always – received!

Cheers

BB

Ps whilst I’m here – how can I turn a plain glass window into a frosted window, without replacing the glass? I’m thinking some kind of film or spray… I can’t stand the patterned obscured glass, but prefer the etched/frosted look, if that makes sense. Thanks!
:love:"Live long, laugh often, love much":love:

Comments

• Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Not sure about B&Q's windows / doors, certainly Wickes are very good quality and very reasonably priced.
  • I can also recommend Wickes doors and windows - we had some for a house that we were renovating about 12 years ago and they were fairly good quality. However, we now use an online company called dunster house and they manufacture them to your measurements. We have used them in our last few houses and have been really pleased with them.
    With regard to turning plain glass into frosted without changing the glass - I recall seeing a spray advertised in a home magazine a number of months ago - Don't know if it is any good as I have never tried it.
  • bobsmum
    bobsmum Posts: 77
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sorry can't help with the door/window quality query, but I had good success with using the frosting film sold in B&Q about 2 years ago.

Found it very quick & easy to apply to bottom half of plain UPVC windows (bathroom with fabulous rural outlook but new barn conversion built next door!!) The instructions were clear, and it's helpful to spray a fine mist of water over the window before positioning. End result did not look like sticky-back plastic at all, more like frosting, and it's easily removed if required - we were renting so didn't want a solution that couldn't be "undone". Some of the fancier designs might not look so good but I went for a design with tiny clear squares on a frosted background.
    HTH
  • I am also looking at a B & Q full glass back door - wickes dont do clear glass which I particularly want. Nobody with any comments about the B & Q ones? Has anybody tried online 'doors direct' or 'door express' or 'just doors' ? I cant imagine they are £600 worse than a middle of the road local firm! :o
  • Hi,
    we did our whole house in b & Q windows and have had no problems,
    one window we had to order from a local window company as it was a odd size- water leaked through the handle, the seal didnt work and started steaming up inside the glazing.

i would reccommend b & Q

hope this helps
    bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills