PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Small machines in launderettes

Sorry if this isn't the right forum?

I'm currently without a washing machine, and I'm probably not getting one till I move (soon, hopefully).....

My local launderettes small washing machines don't seem to let any water in on the 2nd and 3rd rinses, so there's a wash, and one rinse and that's it. The big machines do have 3 rinses, so I normally stick with those, though I have to save up washing.
I asked them about it once, and they were a touch aggressive, they pointed out my washing was wet, so yes there was water going in, which isn't really what I meant but I didn't want to argue.

I've just tried going to another launderette, (which is a little too far too be hauling a big wash), and the same thing is happening, so, what is going on? Is one rinse OK, and I'm supposed to be using less soap or what? I normally use the recommended amount of soap, but I like a pre-wash as well, and it ends up quite sudsy.

In the interests of being old style, I do tread washing in the bath in summer, but not in winter, no.

Comments

• nobody else uses the small machines then?:(
  • it's been about 20 years since I used a launderette but I found everything came out really clean and nothing irritated my skin so I was quite happy with the machines, there was only one larger machine in there so most of the time I had to use 2 smaller ones. My bug bear was the dryers, they gobbled up 20p's in double quick time, cost a fortune to get my stuff dry but I didn't have outside space to dry it in s so had to do it.Are you pleased with the way your washing comes out ?
  • I'm a worrier, I guess:( But, yeah the washing seems OK. Maybe they were just using too much water before?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,966 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It;s a long time since I used a launderette but I know the wash cycle was a lot shorter than our current machine. I'm sure there was just one wash cycle and one rinse, seemed to take about 30-40 minutes as I recall.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    You only need to look at how the number of launderettes has collapsed over the past 10 years or so to see what a poor deal they are.

I was appalled the last time I used one after paying £4.50 For a small wash which lasted 18 minutes but shockingly included a pre-wash, spin, main wash, spin, 3 rinses with spins inbetween and then a final spin. The washing was shockingly wet aftwards no doubt to increase drying revenue.

Despite buying a £1600 washing machine I believe it paid for itself in just over a year compared to using a launderette.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,966 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Interesting Suki.

The last time we used a launderette was on holiday in Jasper, Canada. A combined launderette and internet cafe, was booming with all the tourists passing through the area. Prior to that we used one on holiday in Italy. They can work well in tourist areas I think.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    suki1964 wrote: »
    There's one in the town where I live, next to a filling station forecourt. I saw them last summer as we kept dropping a friend of DD's back home and kept querying what they were. I didn't believe DH's correct answer of washing machines.

I find it the weirdest thing ever! Who wants to stand outside and wait for the washing cycle to finish? I occasionally use the launderette for thing like duvets which are too big to fit in my own machine or if something has got very muddy etc, or if my WM breaks down. When I do use it, I either go and grab a magazine and a coffee and sit and wait or pop somewhere else and come back in time for it finishing.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    suki1964 wrote: »

We've used several of these outdoor launderettes when holidaying in France in our motorhome. They're really good and not too expensive either. They seem to dry much quicker than launderettes in England (which I only use if on holiday for longer than 2 weeks in the motorhome!).

Denise
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Spendless wrote: »
    There's one in the town where I live, next to a filling station forecourt. I saw them last summer as we kept dropping a friend of DD's back home and kept querying what they were. I didn't believe DH's correct answer of washing machines.

I find it the weirdest thing ever! Who wants to stand outside and wait for the washing cycle to finish? I occasionally use the launderette for thing like duvets which are too big to fit in my own machine or if something has got very muddy etc, or if my WM breaks down. When I do use it, I either go and grab a magazine and a coffee and sit and wait or pop somewhere else and come back in time for it finishing.

There's one in a seaside town near me, in the forcourt if a filling station, I couldn't believe it when I saw it

I think I'll take down my pillows and duvet. Cost me a fortune taking them in to the laundry, of which we have loads
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure