5 years MFW - Lets get cracking...

Comments

• always believed watch the pennies and the pounds look after themselves!

Never not saved, and even when we finished paying off our last morgage we continued to save at the exact same pace.

Notice everyone round me has really posh cars and i drive a shed, but then it goes on you pays your money you takes your choice.

Never really had a budget. I put my Op's straight out of wages as soon as paid. Have an accounts book where I monitor in and outs and try and spread costs. Like buying stuff all year for christmas, planning ahead for things, like this month is big one (car insurance, MOT, etc) so no room for other non urgent spends (like kids and my passports need renewing)
    Morgage till Nov 30 GOAL MFW Sept 2016
    Aug 11 - £100k Aug 2016.... It's GONE!!!!!
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone! 2016 GOAL to be a MF marathon runner.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    The problem is you are not watching the pounds looks like you have always had enough money to do things by avoiding some of the biggies like cars so never really thought about the bigger picture.

Is this 5 year plan that much of a challenge? What about trying for 4 years? or adding university funding(some/all) to the savings plan to get head of the game?

Month to month planning really does not cut it long term, unplanned spends just absorb money. Proper planning looks forward at the spends for the 1/5/10years and has a planned ballance of income == spends/savings including setaside for the unplanned.

Once you have a budget/plan the tracking is just to make sure you are on track and the cash flow is managed through some buffer funds.

That way you detach the income timing from the spends and don't have to worry month to month.

Try doing an annual budget, total income and allocate it to the various things you spend on.

Annual totals can be quite an eye opener when it comes to discretionary spends.

Try adding up the total for takeaways/junk food eating out against the total for food groceries.

it's about choices and understanding the trade offs £2 week day == £10per week == £500per year seems obvious but not many actualy know what they spend the money on at this level.

Longer term, education funding, early retirement the sooner you save for those the sooner you become less dependant on the income levels you are used to and less suseptable to loss of those incomes impacting plans.

What about disaster planning like the loss of one income, what would the budget/plan look like then? What would have to change?

or as above change the 5 year plan to a 4 year and see what would change.
  • Month to month planning really does not cut it long term, unplanned spends just absorb money.

Try doing an annual budget, total income and allocate it to the various things you spend on.

Annual totals can be quite an eye opener when it comes to discretionary spends.

I've just done this. I've always done month to month and roughly knew what was left once everything was paid for, but doing a yearly plan has told me we are spread a bit thin. You can just about live with the fact of what's left being tight the odd month (usually a five weeker from payday to payday), but this has told me we could do with more of a buffer almost every month :(

Like you say, yearly opens your eyes as to where the money goes. 670 on mobile phones and 580 on Sky tv per year :eek: Seems nowt when it's monthly.... 56 and 48 respectively.

K_K
    Mortgage Paid Off 5th October 2013
    Back on with £71,000 July 2014
    Current Balance £58402
  • yes, i can see how that would change my perception. Will have a go. I think it may cause a bit of cringing!

Recieved something not dissimilar from Natwest, it broke it down where we spent our money which was quite interesting. I go one the following year and it was amusing to see how before I used asda predominantly for all my shopping but had then switched to a split between asda/aldi/lidl.
  • Overpaying the mortgage is the end result of other things.

The detailed overpayment plan it is pretty much a waste of time without a proper 5year budget. it helps find the target monthy amount needed from income if there are other factors like the endowments but the reality is not spending in the first place is what pays off the mortgage.

Focus on the spending/saving budget for the next 5 years thats how you meet the goal, detailed spend plans so there are no suprises.

If you have no budget start with a SOA and then start planning everything, things like car tyres should not be suprises at MOT they should be planned.

Simple really £92k over 5 years at 3%,4%,5% payments are £1654,£1694,£1736 so the rates make a relatively tiny difference to the end monthly target.

If you are not putting £1700 into the mortgage/savings you are off target.

It will get modified by other things like the endowment but at the end of the day there will be a monthly target that needs to be hit and that has to come from income.

Work out this magic number and the 5 year spend/savings/mortgage plan.

Then there is the cash flow to optimise the overpayment/savings/spends but that saves a lot less than spending less in the first place.

A £92k mortgage at 4% over 5years costs a total of £101650 only around 10% of the total is interest that can be saved by finding the £92k sooner.

For prioritizing it is better to normalize on an annual basis so you compare on level playing field, and not some on a weekly monthly basis against some with are yearly.

you could even do this on a 5 year total basis, that could be scary, whats the total income for the next 5 years?

Thats really useful. I think I need to look more carefully at my finances.
  • Here is the example I use,

I used to get a large indian takeaway every friday and we had a nice evening in after work, it did friday night and sat lunch.

£20-£25 x 45 weeks a year, £900-£1100,

We cut back to less than one a month and went on a extra holiday.

Thing is we enjoyed the take away a lot more than when we did it every week.

it's not always about not spending but about getting best value.

I think you have to review at least once a year what are my priorities especialy the regular spends like sky/VM, mobiles, utilities etc.

With kids you have to think about more than 1/2 people and think ahead their priorities will change a lot quicker than yours.

Another stratagy is the needs/wants and a priority list of wants, add new wants to the bottom of a list and review the list every now and then.

Never buy spontaniously decide the price for a want and wait for the deal to turn up.
    Often a want becomes a don't want if you wait a bit and not another ebay item.

There is a tendancy to just buy the cheap wants and never have enough for the more expensive ones, so if you set aside say £1k a year for wants you can have a few expensive things or loads of cheap stuff or a ballanced mix.
  • HelenDaveKids
    HelenDaveKids Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 18 September 2012 at 8:08AM
    Thanks getmore4less, I think thats brilliant. Thats really amazing how much you saved. i definitely need to invest time and go through my numbers. Im always mentally balancing but can see how I now need to write it down and go through it. Have a scary sneaky suspicion that I may need to reduce my wine intake! (also suspect that it would save more than just money pounds)
    I sold £17 on ebay but then we had a kfc as a treat and spent £16(don't do very often at all as not a fan but the kids really enjoy) part of me thinks Ive wasted money but the balance says we do it rarely so enjoy. (biggest part - waste of money!)

Yiku - Thanks for this, unfortunately I can't open please can you reattach?

worked long day sunday and short shift monday so off today, need to nip kittens to vets for post neuturing check up, have a 4000 word assignment I have now GOT to finish but (more importantly) no bread, milk etc in house (in fact as was at work sun till late and then back monday early didnt reaslise and so everyone had to have their (one a week) school dinner, whereas usually they choose the day themselves (have the menu on the utility wall). OH had to have 2 crusts! Therefore quick shop required. Was toying with asda, farmfoods, home bargains but time and money is of the essence so it may be a quick farmfoods with a nip to aldi in a few days to replenish fruit / veg.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have a scary sneaky suspicion that I may need to reduce my wine intake!

I've been cutting back for the last month before we go on holiday and one bottle of beer had me feeling merry on Sunday - guess it makes me a cheap date!
    cheap microsoft office software

This is a spam post ;)
  • HelenDaveKids
    HelenDaveKids Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 18 September 2012 at 1:58PM
    Thanks Edinburgher. it does make a difference though. I definitely need to use some self control!

Had sudden thought (which hasnt really helped my no drinking plan), swapped utilities earlier in year (used u switch on MSE main site) and was supposed to get free case of wine. Emailed them, they said their email may have gone into my spam box (which deletes automatically) and so resent the code. 6 Bottles (states £60 worth but for that I'd want 18 bottles not 6!) on there way -- Yippee. Although if I savour them (rather than drink the lot this week) should save me quite a bit. --- should have asked if they could send some nibbles as well....

Used my farmfoods vouchers, spend £80:(but took voucher and got £7.50 off (with £75 min spend) :). Took boys to vets, all bits ok and check up part of package so free.

By virtue of my being here shows a lack of concentration ./ committment on assignment - still have 400 words left to go. This is last assignment for this module and was told that work couldnt fund next bit (starting In October) however wrote i wrote a business case and they've agree to pay £1000 (i have still got £225 to pay) so really pleased as I thought I'd have to fund self. I have been really lucky as although done in my own time, i haven't had to self fund. Just hope I pass!
  • Nipped into asda last night after kids music lessons as had forgot to get golden syrup and chocolate (school cooking - middle child - bought there sP choc) and they had loads of baked stuff 5p. Bought 50ps worth, which included 3 packs of 6 cobs, 2 packs of pancakes, potato cakes (middle child wanted to try) lemon cake and a barn loaf.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport