PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The best mince pie pastry ever?

Comments

• taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Am just about to have a go at this recipe! let you know how they turn out!:D
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • taplady
    Have made the mince pies and OMG they're gorgeous! the pastry is absolutely scrummy! have had one and am having to restrain myself from having another!:o :D

Thanks for the recipe researcher!(and your neighbour!):T
  • researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    taplady wrote:
    Have made the mince pies and OMG they're gorgeous! the pastry is absolutely scrummy! have had one and am having to restrain myself from having another!:o :D

Thanks for the recipe researcher!(and your neighbour!):T

You are very welcome - I'm so pleased to know that I was able to pass on something special before it disappears for good. There must be so many old recipes known to the generation who are now in their late 80's, and if we don't get them now.......

In the meantime...:xmassign: and I think I might sneak a mince pie too!
  • piratess
    piratess Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    Thankyou for your comments :) ... well i have to report that they are scrummy! .. im not sure if this is correct but my DP asked if i had used wholemeal flour as they had a slight speckly look about them! But i have to say they were scrummy! my DP ate 4 yesterday LOL and has asked if ill make some more to take to Cornwall for xmas
    lovely and crumbly ..... Thankyou so much
    Hoping to be a thinner me in 2010!
  • taplady
    researcher wrote:
    You are very welcome - I'm so pleased to know that I was able to pass on something special before it disappears for good. There must be so many old recipes known to the generation who are now in their late 80's, and if we don't get them now.......

In the meantime...:xmassign: and I think I might sneak a mince pie too!

I have made them at work today and they went down a storm! :T I have passed the recipe on to several people as well!

thanks again !
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I sacrficed my Kenwood Chef for this pastry.

Its very very nice (not sure it was worth the sacrificial offering though ;) ) - to whoever was asking about replacing the Trex, I used half butter/half lard and it worked absolutely fine - haven't tried it with Trex yet though, so cant really compare. However, as we've eaten most of the batch already, I'll just have to make some more :D

I know pretty much everyone will know this, but I advise dividing the pastry into two (or four) once its made - makes it much easier to roll thinner
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • I just bought some Trex for my Nan and delivered it to her so she can make her usual batch of mince pies for the family.

She has been using Trex for years and swears by it. The mince pies she makes are really scrummy:j
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I use a similar recipe but use icing sugar for a finer pastry. Same goes with shortbread - use icing sugar - its much nicer
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    ooooh just what I am looking for... I'm in baking mode today as well as flinging mode so hopefully I shall have a clean tidy empty house which I can fill with buns and pies!! lol

I'll let you know how I get on!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    How long will the mince pies freeze for please?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback