Issues with online purchase!

Hi all,
Not sure if ive posted this in the right place but here goes....
On Tuesday (5th Dec) i made an online purchase from Superdrug for £62.
The money was sat in my pending transactions until yesterday which is unusual for my bank tbh (Halifax) so i checked my superdrug acc and goods had not even been dispatched so presumed they would take payment upon dispatch of my goods as some companies do.

I emailed them anyway just to see what was going on...got an email back last night saying they couldnt find my order anywhere and money would be refunded to my account.

Fast forward to this morning...checked my online banking as i do every day and my bank balance (available to spend) had gone up by £62-obviously the returned money from superdrug.

So ive gone on Superdrug to place a new order, signed into my acc and my order that i placed on Tues has been shipped!! Its given me a tracking number for Royal Mail!

As you can imagine im very confused!

Sooo rang superdrug customer services with my order number this morning...they confirmed that yes 100% its been shipped, theres nothing on the system to say theyve refunded me and transaction went through fine.. Rang the bank and theres no record of me ever paying superdrug. Looked on online banking again and theres nothing! Its not in my pending transactions, not in my recent transactions (a pending transaction comes up in my recent transactions when the money has left my account) and my bank balance is up by 62 quid!

Ive had nothing paid by bgc into my acc (its saturday, my bank doesnt allow payments on the weekend)

Superdrug said it must be an issue at their end so basically im getting 62 quids worth of stuff for free as theres nothing they can do so ive to enjoy them they said but i feel so bad!

What the heck has happened?????

Comments

• CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    The hold may have gone but the payment hasn't been taken yet.

Keep the £62 to one side for a while as it's likely to go at some point in the future, as happened a few years ago with a hotel I'd paid for (they took the payment after about 3 months).
    💙💛 💔
  • Thanks for that.
    The email they sent me when i queried it said there was no order...well obvioulsy there was because theyve shipped it but not taken my money.
    What happens if they take the money eventually but theyve made a mistake and not actually sent my goods? Means im out of pocket and no goods which ill be mad about as theyre for my daughter for Christmas.
    And if they do that ill not be able to buy my daughter anything else.
  • murtle1981 wrote: »
    What happens if they take the money eventually but theyve made a mistake and not actually sent my goods?

You said you have a Royal Mail tracking number so you can check on the Royal Mail website if Royal Mail has received it (but don't panic if it's not there yet - it can take a little while to show up).
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Check the parcel tracking- that should give you some clues.

If it starts moving the goods will be on their way to you.
  • KxMx wrote: »
    Check the parcel tracking- that should give you some clues.

If it starts moving the goods will be on their way to you.

Morning!
    My parcel has started moving...it was received by Royal Mail regional distribution centre this morning and is on its way to me!

Will superdrug try taking the money again? Id rather they did to be honest as i feel bad even though theyve said its probably their fault! They said that on their systems the transaction went through fine and no note of any refund. But if they never got the payment then they wouldnt have note of any refund.

They did ask me if theres a chance i could have made a duplicate payment by mistake eg if their system glitched and i had to do it again but i know i didnt as im super savvy when it comes to my banking and know exactly what ive spent, how much i have in my acc etc. I write everything down too just incase anything like this occurs (something my Dad taught me bless him).

I cannot find this transaction anywhere. Its not in my pending transactions nor is it on my list of recent transactions.

Im thinking maybe its been in my pending transactions for so long that its automatically dropped back into my account???
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I had a similar issue with Argos, payment pending then vanished and my available balance went up.

It bugged me so did a Live Chat with them a few weeks later, they said "yes" to my question of "so you have 100% been paid for this".

Yet another couple of weeks later I get an email saying they haven't taken payment and are going to on date X. Also a £10 voucher as an apology.
  • KxMx wrote: »
    I had a similar issue with Argos, payment pending then vanished and my available balance went up.

It bugged me so did a Live Chat with them a few weeks later, they said "yes" to my question of "so you have 100% been paid for this".

Yet another couple of weeks later I get an email saying they haven't taken payment and are going to on date X. Also a £10 voucher as an apology.
    Ive done some research and this is what ive found.

Its something to do with the merchant bank and also something to do with the retailer not processing the payment properly.

If the merchant bank dont release the payment within a certain time it automatically falls bank into yoyr bank, the transaction disappears from your pending transactions and your account available to spend goes back up...this is whats happened to me.

Also some retailers only take payment once the item(s) are shipped. In my case superdrug were super behind with orders afyer Black Friday and took 4 days to ship my order. By the time they did this, the money has already dropped back into my account and is now available for me to spend again.

Yet they are 100% that they have taken payment and that the transaction went through smoothly. And my goods are on the way.
    This is the first time its ever happened to me so thats why ive been so flipping confused 😂
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    murtle1981 wrote: »
    Yet they are 100% that they have taken payment and that the transaction went through smoothly.

If they haven't actually received the money in their bank account. Then the discrepancy will come to light.
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    I had an instance with Boots in October. My transaction in store went through and confirmed but the till then crashed and didn't print a receipt. The assistant wrote me out a gift receipt at the time to save me waiting for the till to reload. It showed as pending on my account but then after so many days reabsorbed back into my account. To date this has not been claimed but it is sitting there waiting for them as believe they have up to six months to try to claim this. Best to keep the money aside in your account for a few months
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The first transaction would have just been an authorisation or earmark.
    If this isn't replaced by a matching actual payment (within 7 days) it drops off.

They will likely debit your card shortly after the goods are dispatched.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure