Great 'Tips on buying a second hand car' Hunt

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up. £1500 includes my insurance deposit so around £1200-1300 I got. Never though of using eBay though, don't want to bid on cars I don't want. How does it work?

Looking either a Seat Leon 1.4 or a 2002 Focus Ghia diesel.
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    My last 2 cars were off ebay - and i cant see me buying anywhere else now.

One was still going strong when i sold it on after 5 years, with just tyres etc needed when i had it - and my current car as been trouble free 1 1/2 years.

You need to pay a bit more attention to feedback. My last seller turned out to be a main dealer in disguise - and i got the car fully serviced and valeted - for 75% off screen price.

I have never test driven - but if you have the time and patience - some will let you do this before you bid.

Set your location and price bracket in ebay search - then leave a shortcut on you pc so you can just keep checking whats available without a new search every time.

Lots of dodgey sellers out there too - but just be EXTRA careful. If in doubt - don't buy!!!!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Stanley01 wrote: »
    One needs to be careful while investing on an used car.Once you get the feeling of trust then you can go for the investment and for this it is essential to take the help of professional car dealers.

Who are trained in ways to gain your trust?
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 November 2011 at 8:56AM
    My top five...

My big tip is to research the weak areas on the cars you're looking at. You can look at honestjohn car by car and whatcar reader reviews for starters. Then find the relevant owners club and ask them. Once you know the common weak areas you're in a much better position to check out any second hand car you're looking at.

If you have transport then don't limit your search to local dealers. I saved £4k by being prepared to buy from a dealer 150 miles away. I did check the car extra carefully though - its much harder to take it back. Though as it still had manufacturers warranty I was covered.

If you're buying a nearly new car, a fair few of them have been on hire fleets. That's not a problem in itself, but some haven't been serviced at the right time/mileage. And even if you're buying it from a main dealer, the 3-year (5/7-year) warranty may be void. I never did get a straight answer on whether the Toyota I was looking at which had its first service at 13 months/13000 miles was a problem (Toyota services are 12 months/10,000 miles).

Don't get suckered in by the 'I need to check with the manager' technique to negotiate. I walked out of the showroom after 15 mins of it, even though I'd travelled 100 miles to see a car. The next day they were phoning me and offering to bring the car to my house to continue the negotiations. I might have done that but I'd already caught the salesman out in a lie (I'd phoned before travelling and asked some specific questions about the car, and he'd said it hadn't been a hire car, when it had). I almost always terminate negotiations if I'm lied to.

Before you start negotiations, ask to see all the car documents. Examine them closely. Check the number of owners. Check the mileages and dates of the services. Receipts for services count for more than stamps in the book. If a main dealer/nearly new car, get the dealer to bring the service history up online and check it matches. I once looked at a mini with 35000-odd miles. Only when checking the documents did I find that it had been at 35000-odd for the last 4 years. The odometer was faulty. Check that all the keys are there. How much tax is on the windscreen. Do this BEFORE you start negotiations.
  • bodgerx
    bodgerx Posts: 190 Forumite
    Thats not a banger, thats 3 bangers.

1. Forget car auctions. Additional charges are around 25% added on to what I look to pay.

That is not correct for the likes of BCA and Manheim.

It depends on the value of the car. Last time I bought, I paid 7.5K and paid about £300. You will pay another percentage of the hammer price if paying by card, but debit cards are usually taken without charge.

If you know someone in the trade, it is even less.

Auctions are best when buying cars that are ex-lease and less than 4 years old, as they usually come with full service histories.

Older cars are typically dealer cast-offs they don't want, and usually can't sell - best avoided.
  • Hi everyone,

If you want to buy second hand car then you firstly check its model number, average, look, car condition etc. then decide to buy car.:EasterBun
    :kisses:
  • Hi,
    I was looking to buy a second hand car, wondering if more experienced members can give me some tips. My criteria is
    1. Spend around £10k,
    2. less than 40K mileage,
    3. reasonable insurance group (I am a new driver over 30),
    4. Saloon or hatchback
    5. automatic or semi-automatic transmission
    6. and the most important wifey should like the looks of the car :))
    No 5 effectively rules out Nissan, Peugeot and Citroen.
    Any good suggestions.
  • Fender1963
    Fender1963 Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 13 February 2013 at 5:25PM
    flash2006 wrote: »
    Hi,
    give me some tips

Start your own thread :D
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    usa only spam from GeordieGray
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The above new poster would also appear to be spamming.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure