Market research.. official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• In Martin's article, he says:
    "Focus-group based market research can pay between £30 and £50 for a couple of hours of talking. To get started in it, look up local agencies in the Yellow Pages, or try Saros Research online"

This isn't really accurate. Focus groups are recruited by people like me and you won't find us in the Yellow Pages. It tends to be done via networking and word of mouth. We always need more people and anyway that we can spread the word would be great.
    I have been recruiting market research group discussions for 23 years in the Nottingham area. I also have extensive contacts with other recruiters around the UK. If anyone is interested in putting their name forward to attend groups, I could pass names on to people in the relevant areas.
    I am also having a web site written which will inform and educate people about what market research is and how they can get involved. It will have a facility for people who are interested to be put in touch with someone in their locality who might be able to use them.
    Typically a standard discussion lasts one and a half hours and people receive around £35 for attending. They can be longer or shorter and payment varies according to the difficulty of getting the group together. For instance, I am currently having to get together a group of 10 carpenters/joiners who use nail guns regularly and for that they wiil receive £60 for a 2 hour discussion.
    Groups tend to take place in home (usually mine) or hotels or in special research studios.
    Everything we do is governed by the rules of the Market Research Society which ensures your privacy and reassures you that it is all above board.
    If you'd like any more information, do PM me.
    Lynne Chapman
    Considered Response
    Nottingham
  • Following on from Lynne's comments above, I'd just like to add that if you are in or near London you can register online with focus groups like http://www.focus4people.com/ or http://www.fhios-uxd.com/ which tend to pay £50 for 2 hour discussions. They do also have assignments outside London but not the same volume.
  • I'm new to this earn a bit of pocket money situ.. I'd like to register on one of these websites for market research but don't like the thought of giving them my address and some personal details (i'm a bit too careful!). Has anyone registered on these sites and found no problem with the security aspects of research companies with personel info?? would love to know before embarking on this venture..
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I've registered with Saros and had no problem. Recently taken part in 2 researches. I think you need to accept that you have to give them some information so that they will know what research to offer you. They are bound by the market research society code of conduct, so aren't likely to misuse the information you give them.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Just received the following. It won't apply to most of you but if you're interested contact Fhios for more information.

fhios has been contracted by an energy provider to conduct some research in order to help improve their website and would like to invite people aged 25-60 years old, who are small business owners and who are responsible for administering the payment of electricity bills to take part. We are looking for people who own one of the following

- professional organisations such as : solicitors, architects, etc
    - pub restaurant
    - fish and chip shop
    - hotel and breakfast
    - beauty/hair salon.

Everyone who participates will receive £50, which will be paid in cash at the end of the interview, for their time and expenses.

The research consists of attending an interview that lasts no more than 2 hours in our research facility in central London (The Media Center, 3-8 Carburton street, W1W 5AJ) on 12th or 13th of February at various times throughout the day and early evening at your convenience. During the interview, you will be asked to perform some simple tasks on our client's website and provide your likes, dislikes and feedback.The scheduled times are:

10:00 – 12:00
    13.00 – 15:00
    16:00 – 18:00

If you are interested in taking part please click on the link or copy and paste the link into your browser address bar to complete the pre-participation form.

https://www.questionpro.com/akira/gateway/883527-18799561-0

Please feel free to pass this on to any family or friends that you feel would be interested.
  • sammy452
    sammy452 Posts: 84
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I always am a bit worried to join more than one market research group as I did not think that the companies allow this. Am I right to think this or are most of you with many companies?
    Nyks Interest Beater £29/£260
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    The restriction is usually on how many times you can be called for a research session, not how many companies you can register with.

For example, I recently earned £40 doing a 2 hour discussion on hair products so I wasn't eligible to do a project on hair products that another agency was offering.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Here's another request from fhios:

fhios has been contracted by The Electrical Contractors Association to conduct some research in order to improve their website and would like to invite professionals working in one of the following fields: electronic, electrical or installation engineering, or building services to take part. Everyone who participates will receive £100, which will be paid in cash at the end of the interview, for their time and expenses .

The research consists of attending a focus group that lasts no more than 2 hours in our research facility in central London (The Media Center, 3-8 Carburton street, W1W 5AJ) on 18th or 19th of February. During the focus group, you will take part in an informal group discussion about our client's website with like minded people and provide your likes, dislikes and feedback. The standard scheduled times are:

16.00 - 18.00
    19:00 – 21:00

If you are interested in taking part and you are an professional working in one of the following fields: electronic, electrical or installation engineering, or building services please click on the link or copy and paste the link into your browser address bar to complete the pre-participation form.

https://www.questionpro.com/akira/gateway/885950-19442227-0

Please feel free to pass this on to any family or friends that you feel would be interested.
  • gingernuts wrote: »
    I'm new to this earn a bit of pocket money situ.. I'd like to register on one of these websites for market research but don't like the thought of giving them my address and some personal details (i'm a bit too careful!). Has anyone registered on these sites and found no problem with the security aspects of research companies with personel info?? would love to know before embarking on this venture..

If you aren't comfortable with a site you can check whether they are members of MRS which is the world’s largest association within market and opinion research and has a strict code of conduct. You can check out members on http://www.mrs.org.uk/companypartner/companies.htm . Of course this doesn't mean a company not listed isn't reputable (most focus group companies aren't on here) but in most of these cases you'll not be asked to give much more than your e-mail address and maybe a telephone number as regards personal information initially. If still not comfortable you should find a phone number on the site to ring.
  • If you aren't comfortable with a site you can check whether they are members of MRS which is the world’s largest association within market and opinion research and has a strict code of conduct. You can check out members on http://www.mrs.org.uk/companypartner/companies.htm . Of course this doesn't mean a company not listed isn't reputable (most focus group companies aren't on here) but in most of these cases you'll not be asked to give much more than your e-mail address and maybe a telephone number as regards personal information initially. If still not comfortable you should find a phone number on the site to ring.

What happens is that many people are individual members of the MRS, as I am, rather than corporate company members so the company may well be represented but not listed as such.
    Lynne
    Considered Response
    Nottingham
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills