Any other depression sufferers here?

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Another sufferer here but I am on medication that works, I feel fine about 95% of the time, small hiccups now and then. The relief of having motivation again, looking forward to events, being able to read a newspaper, a book, my thoughts no longer going round and round on all the minute mistakes and faux pas (not sure on spelling), that I ever did, even the thoughts on jumping off a cliff, all gone.
    Please if you have not been to see a doctor do so, there is help available.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    comeandgo wrote: »
    Another sufferer here but I am on medication that works, I feel fine about 95% of the time, small hiccups now and then. The relief of having motivation again, looking forward to events, being able to read a newspaper, a book, my thoughts no longer going round and round on all the minute mistakes and faux pas (not sure on spelling), that I ever did, even the thoughts on jumping off a cliff, all gone.
    Please if you have not been to see a doctor do so, there is help available.

I wish I could find something that would help me. As I say a lot of the time now I am pretty ok and I have kind of learned to live with it although at the same time doing things to help with it (walking, music etc).

I still can't sleep though because of the thoughts constantly in my head and wish I could go to sleep and never wake up.

I've had various medication over the years but none of it has ever help and most of it has had horrible side effects. One tablet made me feel terribly nauseous and I kept being sick. I persevered with it but after a few weeks I just could not take it any more. It also gave me panic attacks
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A few years ago my daughter suffered terrible post natal depression. She was lucky enough to get expert help and is fine now. One key part of her "treatment" was to read this wonderful book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Depressive-Illness-Strong-Overcoming-Problems/dp/1847092357

She was lucky enough to meet the author a couple of years later and told him "your book saved my life".

It helps understand what depression is, but also gives positive strategies through Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to help sufferers deal with it. It is also good for those around you to read and help them understand this illness too.
  • Hi. I don't suffer from depression myself but my oh does. We've been together 27 years now and he's only just seeking out help now. Life has been so frustrating and painful for the family culminating in him having a massive meltdown a few weeks ago, we had to ring the police as he was in such a state.
    Like zagubov says, please keep your loved ones in the picture regarding your condition. Since my oh had his meltdown things are much better as we are all talking more openly about this. I do realise it's very early days and I'm still walking on eggshells some days but I feel a lot more positive.
    He has a very understanding doctor, has had a few telephone assessments with mind and is currently awaiting an appointment for counselling.
    Ds suffers with anxiety as well, I feel his dads condition and being a T1 diabetic have contributed to this. I would love to be able to persuade him to seek further help with this but know from experience that he will only do this in his own time. I'm hoping once his dad starts his counselling this will inspire him to do likewise. I really don't want him leaving it until it's as bad as his dads as our family has gone through so much over the years and don't want history repeating itself.
  • I want to thank the OP for starting this thread and those who have and will contribute to it. It does help a little to get it out there and maybe for others to get a better understanding of those that suffer.

After my lengthy epistle the other night I had some thoughts about my condition and noted them down. Here's what I got:

Depression is...

...finding the negative in everything which, in it's best form, is complacency and indifference.

...when you hear someone laughing and wonder where it's coming from only to realise it's you.

...when you feel like 'there's no-one here but me' even when you have people who care.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Sam_Fallow wrote: »
    I want to thank the OP for starting this thread and those who have and will contribute to it. It does help a little to get it out there and maybe for others to get a better understanding of those that suffer.

After my lengthy epistle the other night I had some thoughts about my condition and noted them down. Here's what I got:

Depression is.....

...finding the negative in everything which, in it's best form, is complacency and indifference.

...when you hear someone laughing and wonder where it's coming from only to realise it's you.

...when you feel like 'there's no-one here but me' even when you have people who care.

Thank you Sam. :)

I would add these:-

Depression is the thief that robs you of hope.

It turns the smallest of everyday tasks into an unscaleable mountain.

It turns the smallest of everyday tasks into a Thing to be feared, and then that fear itself becomes a Thing To Be Feared.

Depression is the thief that robs you of hope, robs you of your sense of self, robs you of your sense of worth.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Pyxis that is a very good summation indeed.

I have suffered depression most of my life; been on one or another anti-d medication for the last 44 years - no that's not finger-stutter, it is forty-four years. Been through more counselling in one lifetime than anyone should have to endure in three.

Anyone meeting me casually, would think I was fine; it's afterwards that I get all the panic, the conviction that everyone who meets me must hate me because I hate myself, the feeling that I just can't cope with one more day alive. Three o'clock in the morning seems to be the worst point.

I came closer to doing something about that last bit two weeks ago than I have been since the end of 2001; luckily (or not) I had two dogs staying with me, and couldn't let them down, so I deferred it til they'd gone home, by which point I felt a little more in charge of myself.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Pyxis
    There's a physiological reason for the three a.m. dip.

Certain metabolic functions are at their lowest ebb, certain hormones etc. are at their least optimum levels.

At 3a.m. the body is physiologically and biochemically at its most vulnerable.

It's no coincidence that more people die at or around 3a.m. than at other times of the day, for that very reason.

(I can't remember the specific details, but it's very interesting. I'll see if I can find some info).
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• Sam_Fallow wrote: »
    I want to thank the OP for starting this thread and those who have and will contribute to it. It does help a little to get it out there and maybe for others to get a better understanding of those that suffer.

Depression is...

Same, reading these stories has made me feel better in a weird way. Good to have support with these things, even if it's online.
  • Pyxis
    Same, reading these stories has made me feel better in a weird way. Good to have support with these things, even if it's online.

I find it helps knowing that you're not alone with these feelings, particularly when people say that they know what those feelings are like.
    Depression can be very isolating, even if you have lots of people around you, so knowing that there are others who share those experiences is comforting. (Even though you wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy!)
    It is, after all, an illness like any other!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport