Mooloo's little tapestry of life, 2016

Options

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Managed to get the curtains made up with just the hems to sew now. Childs Duvet Cover and two pillowcases made, just popper closure to do.
    Several fittings done. A horse blanket repaired. Pair of men's trousers taken in, pair of jeans shortened.
    Didn't feel quite as productive, but it's not surprising really.
    Tomorrow I hope I will bounce back and get things done.
    My Mum skyped me today. She thinks that she may have left milk in the fridge. I'd planned to go over to Towcester today but I was so cold I got into my pjs and dressing gown and huddled under a blanket so I think I will have to go at the weekend.
    I've a wedding dress to deliver over there anyway so can kill two birds with one stone.
    I have just placed an order via Quidco, on Argos, for bathroom accessories. I have ordered several shelves, loo roll holder and laundry bag. My old stuff is so mouldy I have decided on new.
    I wanted to order the cooker and fridge freezer but I have to wait until we know when the ceiling is plastered and painted. Can't have my new red appliances splattered with paint etc.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Today is the aim for finishing off as many projects as I can.
    Focus time.
    I still haven't talked to the seamstress. I hate confrontation, but I also cannot be dictated too. If I let the seamstress stay then it would mean staff not working on the same days, and that would not worry staff, but it would mean that I couldn't have my day off. I could not easily change the days I take off with the childcare in place, and a few other reasons. Wednesday is a traditional 1/2 day closing so taking it as my day off I only have to pay until 1pm. If I take another day I have to pay until 4.30pm
    It also means I would loose my sewing time in a way.
    If I meet her half way, let her work Tuesday, but tell her that if she won't work with staff then she can only work on Tuesday, which means that she will loose 3 hours and any overtime opportunity.
    Also the niggling small issues about some of her work will still need to be addressed.
    If I go through with accepting her offer of resignation then I will have to do the immediate work all by myself. I can probably find the time if I actually start at 9am instead of 9.30, and I stay until 5.30 instead of 4.30.
    That's 1 1/2 hours 4 days, and Saturday I currently stop after teaching at 2pm but I used to be open until 4pm so I could work longer.
    I also have ofcourse got the options of Cherry Picking the jobs that I accept, and although it could loose me some larger paying jobs, I can accept and turn around more of the smaller, higher return jobs.
    The business is used to paying out her wages, so I could start to pay myself instead. Working overtime would feel more worth it if I had a wage to look forward too as well.
    When looking at it that way, then streamlining the jobs I accept, and doing it myself (until I find someone else), seems the way forward for me to go.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry moo just needed to ask how these extra hours would impact on DGD ?
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like this woman is taking up way too much headspace. If she'd never walked in your door you'd be managing somehow I'm sure. Fingers crossed that you find a far more cooperative replacement for her.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Options
    Mooloo wrote: »
    This morning I am just waiting for a fitting that's booked in, before going upstairs to get to work on the curtains I started.
    I'm rather tired and feel quite jaded today.

Edit.
    The ladies came for the fitting. As I feared the dress doesn't look right, and I'm going to have to redo it all myself.
    So this has not helped me in favouring the stay campaign for the seamstress.
    Yesterday a jacket had to be returned as the sleeve had been stitched in twisted.
    This compounds that it's really time to part the waves.
    !!! OMG! NO business can afford, in this day and age, to keep the incompetent on. What a [EMAIL="bl@@dy"]bl@@dy[/EMAIL] cheek, doing a crap job and wanting to be paid for it, let alone looking down on you because she's trained and you're "only" time served. I didn't quite get your earlier comment. What do you mean "trained"? Has she worked for a high class London tailor doing an apprenticeship for 4 years?

Whatever her training is, it doesn't mean squat if she can't even insert a sleeve into a jacket without twisting it. I don't do a lot of sewing and haven't for at least 20 years, but I am pretty sure I can still insert a sleeve into a jacket without twisting it in the process.

And you want to compromise?! I think you should tune into the Arnold Schwarzwenegger fear nothing part of you that set up this business and tell her she's no longer needed. What part of you likes the peace so much you not only pay her for doing crap work but then have to fix her shoddy work, for no pay?

Better to be Rambo Woman, even if it is just for the ten minutes or so it would take to get rid of her and send her packing, than martyr yourself and your business in the role of Patron of Lost Causes.

I know this is a dark interpretation and you are obviously not a dark person, but it does seem to me she would like that business for herself, and is both jealous that you own it and prepared to sabotage it at every opportunity.
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Options
    If I go through with accepting her offer of resignation then I will have to do the immediate work all by myself.
    Fiddlesticks. You've got contacts, from what you said in an earlier post. Just outsource the alterations like taking up trousers, inserting new zips etc to the person you said you know. Outsource, not employ. Then take on someone not so experienced, or "trained" but who is a dab hand at alterations.

The business is used to paying out her wages, so I could start to pay myself instead. Working overtime would feel more worth it if I had a wage to look forward too as well.

YAAY! My favourite comment of your whole blog. I can hear the cheering from Portugal from here. Think of what you could buy....a extra week's holiday in Portugal....every year. Think of what a week's worth of sun in January or February will feel like........:):) Smiley faces, looking just like the sun.

It will be fine. Your bank balance agrees with me. So does Portugal. Dump her, and don't let her bully you into backing down. You've got a good business. It deserves protecting.

(Goodness, re-reading this I sound like a right bolshie c0w! Sorry to not lay it on much more diplomatically.....)
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Molly41 wrote: »
    Sorry moo just needed to ask how these extra hours would impact on DGD ?

They shouldn't impact on DGD as it will still be when she is already in Stepping stones, or school. I will just be working the hours that I did when I first opened up the shop.
    What I will need is help in the home probably, because I won't be able to do housework before I collect her, which was sometimes what I did.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    I called her before I opened up the shop, at that time still in two minds, but after talking to her for 10 minutes or so, I decided that I would accept her resignation flung at me in her haste. She very nearly had that second chance, but she was so horrible about staff, didn't want to only do one day, or even work from home and said she could get £10 an hour working for someone else, so I said that I think it was best she didn't come back, that I would pay her her wages and a weeks money in lieu of working.
    I decided to look at the work we currently have in, mostly hems etc and I am perfectly capable to do them. Time will be a slight stress level, as there are about 40 jobs currently in. However when staff came in she was surprised at my decision, but has said she will help me wherever she can. I will just have to work back down on the shop floor more when she is not in.
    I will just take the jobs I am able to do, customers are being told the time wait is a little longer then a week, and I will make sure to keep some time sheets to make sure I am charging properly for my time.
    Sort out the annomollies.
    It will be busy but fine. Then I will see about my wages after I have paid her off.
    Her husband stormed into the shop for his gardening money, was very rude to staff, and the woman has obviously blamed staff for her demise! Dread to think what she told him. Poor staff was visably upset, and staffs husband was in the shop to witness it, as he had made a boat for my shop window. We have entered it into the town Carnival Best Window competition. I think if he had caught up with the other husband even them in their late 60's, we might just have had a fight on our hands. Oh Dear!!!
    At least there was nobody in the shop at the time and staff recovered after a small hug and we got on with organising our afternoon. We had about 11 jobs come in.
    I finished the hand sewing on the curtains, she did the poppers on the duvet cover, I made the tie backs. Then I did several fittings. Followed by shortening of some jeans, a skirt, taking in a pair of shorts ( that originally looked like the poor woman had jodpurs on. Sewed a hook and eye on a dress, made some runners, and generally finished lots of little jobs.
    We banked £340. So it's been a respectable week dispite all the upheaval. Today there are further fittings booked in throughout the morning, and no lessons so I will just get on with it.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    I got to work around 9.10 today. But I didn't leave until 5pm.
    We had two fittings no shows, so I was able to just keep sewing. I gave myself a target to sew £150 or until 5pm which ever came first. I did £158 worth by 4.59. So that was good.
    Tonight it's TV and wine.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    HI Mooloo . I am so glad toxic woman has departed . Good on you , both her and her other half sound as if they deserve each other , i don't drink alcohol but shall raise a glass of non alcoholic pimms in your honour tonight . Have a good evening you've earned it :)
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport