New mattress but what type ?

Options

Comments

• Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    wilbert wrote: »
    Im also looking for a new mattress and seen argos have a half price sale on, are either of these any good? Or if not is there one someone can recommend for under £250? Thanks!

Silentnight Adelaide Trizone
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6596965/gotoTab/reviews.htm

Airsprung Cranmore Trizone Luxfirm Double Mattress

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6945877.htm

Thets just say that Argos don't sell good quality mattresses.

As for Silentnight, do a search on the MSE forums for them.
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    You are right.

It is a non turn mattress that won't last as long as a two sided one, but like you said it does appear to be too cheap to have full size steel pocket springs. Also it doesn't say the depth or the density of the memory foam.

The label on the mattress says Times Beds.
    Is this a company you are familiar with ?
    The vendor does have others,some more expensive
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Daz2009 wrote: »
    The label on the mattress says Times Beds.
    Is this a company you are familiar with ?
    The vendor does have others,some more expensive

I don't know much about Times Beds, but their web site has been taken down, so they could be bankrupt stock.

If I were you I would search on google rather than ebay.
  • Mum22
    Mum22 Posts: 57 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2010 at 1:50PM
    Options
    Hi,

I am looking at getting a mattress for my daughter as she moves into a single bed from a cot. My son has a Airsprung pocket sprung bed with memory foam top that we bought form the actual airsprung factory warehouse. We now live too far to go back and see what they have, but after reading all the posts on here, I now am puzzled as to what to get. We have seen this mattress from monsterbeds for just over £200. Is it any good?
    Westminster Chelsea 1500 Pocket & Memory Foam 3' Single Mattress

•1500 individual pocket springs
    •Memory Foam on both sides
    •Hypo allergenic
    •Wool and cotton mix fillings
    •3 row hand side stitched border effect
    •Knitted stretch fabric

Have just looked and found it elseware cheaper... But is it a good mattress?
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Mum22 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking at getting a mattress for my daughter as she moves into a single bed from a cot. My son has a Airsprung pocket sprung bed with memory foam top that we bought form the actual airsprung factory warehouse. We now live too far to go back and see what they have, but after reading all the posts on here, I now am puzzled as to what to get. We have seen this mattress from monsterbeds for just over £200. Is it any good?
    Westminster Chelsea 1500 Pocket & Memory Foam 3' Single Mattress

•1500 individual pocket springs
    •Memory Foam on both sides
    •Hypo allergenic
    •Wool and cotton mix fillings
    •3 row hand side stitched border effect
    •Knitted stretch fabric

Have just looked and found it elseware cheaper... But is it a good mattress?

I know we all like the best for our children, but a toddler wouldn't be heavy enough to benefit from the pocket springs or the memory foam.

Although the fabric may be hypoallergenic, wool and cotton aren't.

You would be far better getting a good quality open coil sprung mattress. Especially as it would withstand a toddler bouncing on it far better than pocket springs would. You can get a top of the range open coil sprung mattress for around £100, and it would be far better quality than an Airsprung one that costs far more.
  • Mum22
    Options
    Many thanks for your (fast) advice. Now I am back to searching the net for a open coil sprung mattress. Not sure where to start? Happy hunting ahead!!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Mum22 wrote: »
    Many thanks for your (fast) advice. Now I am back to searching the net for a open coil sprung mattress. Not sure where to start? Happy hunting ahead!!

If I were you I would stay away from big brand names and big chain stores if you want good quality at a low price, and shop on line from a seller who gives a proper satisfaction guarantee that allows you to actually unpack and sleep on the mattress. This way it is in their interest to make sure that you make the right choice the first time.
  • Mum22
    Options
    I have seen that you advise that before, so before finding possible mattress's I am now checking their returns policy before going any further. I know you aren't allowed to recommend anywhere, but god that would make this easier!
  • danlojo
    danlojo Posts: 564 Forumite
    Options
    I'm also after a pine double bed for our guest room.

I dont want anything cheap and cheerful so that the guests can go home and moan about the bed but something that is good quality and doesnt cost the earth.

Any ideas?
    Life is a rollercoaster.....ya just gotta ride it:whistle:
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    danlojo wrote: »
    I'm also after a pine double bed for our guest room.

I dont want anything cheap and cheerful so that the guests can go home and moan about the bed but something that is good quality and doesnt cost the earth.

Any ideas?

Buy one that is made to order in the UK, rather than one of the prepacked ones that you find in most of the big stores.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure