Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deutsch
    • By deutsch 22nd May 12, 11:06 AM
    • 300Posts
    • 42Thanks
    deutsch
    Pension credit - Temporarily abroad
    • 22nd May 12, 11:06 AM
    Pension credit - Temporarily abroad 22nd May 12 at 11:06 AM
    My father wishes to go abroad, but my mother won't be going with him. My father is the claimant. How long will he continue to receive pension credit after we notify the DWP. Can my mother continue to benefit and receive his pension credit because she is the claimant's spouse and if so, how long for? Will it only be a partial payment (like 50;50)?
Page 1
    • sleepless saver
    • By sleepless saver 22nd May 12, 11:26 AM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 2,368 Thanks
    sleepless saver
    • 22nd May 12, 11:26 AM
    • 22nd May 12, 11:26 AM
    How old is your mother?
    How long is your father going abroad for?
    Are they separating?
    • Whiteknight
    • By Whiteknight 22nd May 12, 12:02 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    Whiteknight
    • 22nd May 12, 12:02 PM
    • 22nd May 12, 12:02 PM
    My father wishes to go abroad, but my mother won't be going with him. My father is the claimant. How long will he continue to receive pension credit after we notify the DWP. Can my mother continue to benefit and receive his pension credit because she is the claimant's spouse and if so, how long for? Will it only be a partial payment (like 50;50)?
    Originally posted by deutsch
    He can be overseas for up to 13 weeks before the Pension Credit would stop, you mention in the title that it is only a temporary absence so as long as he returns to the UK within this 13 weeks there would be no effect.

If he is planning on staying out of the country longer than this then there will be an effect on the Pension Credit.
    • deutsch
    • By deutsch 23rd May 12, 5:28 AM
    • 300 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    deutsch
    • 23rd May 12, 5:28 AM
    • 23rd May 12, 5:28 AM
    How old is your mother?
    How long is your father going abroad for?
    Are they separating?
    Originally posted by sleepless saver
    59 years old
    6 months
    they're aren't seperating.

if my father splits this trip so it lasts for 13 weeks, then comes back, does this pension credit affect restriction reset itself?
    • Whiteknight
    • By Whiteknight 23rd May 12, 1:03 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    Whiteknight
    • 23rd May 12, 1:03 PM
    • 23rd May 12, 1:03 PM
    59 years old

if my father splits this trip so it lasts for 13 weeks, then comes back, does this pension credit affect restriction reset itself?
    Originally posted by deutsch
    No, it does not reset itself - even if he comes back for a week or two and then returns he is treading on thin ice. If your mother is 59 she will not be able to claim it herself.

When your father returns after 6 months he will need to make a new claim.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,855Posts Today

5,203Users online

Martin's Twitter