Ja-NEW-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread

Options

Comments

• kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moomin that's a magnificent amount saved, very well done to you :T £29.61 fab. What are you going to do with your new found wealth :D
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • kittiej
    Options
    Just to let you all know that I have put a link on the first post for sandwich fillings but as you read you will see that there are links to other lunchtime ideas.

Happy reading!
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My second favourite lunch is a pasta dish that I can eat cold - probably tuna and sweetcorn.
    kittiej wrote: »
    Hey juno that is a fantastic idea! You could do that with Quorn roll too, and I love Quorn roll and coleslaw sarnies and Q and tomato and onion.

Just thrown ingredients into the sc for chilli. 4 portions should work out at 55p each plus bread roll at 8p sees me at 63p leaving room for something else out of my £1 per day budget.

This MSE stuff if brilliant :T
    I don't actually know what quorn roll is, but I'm sure that would work too :)

I find that if I'm using the really thin ham I'd use several slices anyway, so one large folded over is about the same amount but much easier to use.
    babes21 wrote: »
    I'm starting to do this too, I succeeded last week (all but one day) and managed to save at least £15 just in the 4 days.
    That's brilliant!
    FatVonD wrote: »
    Brie and grape is yummy! M&S also put cranberry sauce in theirs toobut we don't buy M&S sandwiches any more do we girls? :D

I've decided scrambled eggs on toast is my third favourite though (sorry cheese and tomato and brie and grape!)
    I love brie but hate grapes. Actually, I haven't ever tried them, but something about them puts me off. I love raisins, though.

I've never bought an M&S sandwich. I do love their sushi, though :o
    Still not back in work (monday:eek:) but have not succumbed to a Subway, Greggs or takeaway all week, Quite secretly proud of myself as I have been out and about.
    Been shopping today and have my munchies ready planned in the fridge - just have to remember to take them now.
    I forgot to take my reduced Rumblers yoghurt to work today :( I took my soup - which I even got from the fridge next to it - but somehow forgot the best bit.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• kittiej
    Options
    Aww juno, when are you working next, we could give you a shout out - juno you forgot your Rumblers!
  • AFK_Matrix
    Options
    Hello fellow ex buying lunch workers lol :) Well another miricale for me today, I had the last of my gammon in a sandwich for lunch this afternoon and then cooked my own food from the fridge tonight. So that's 2 bits of saving done as I would probably have definitely gotten a takeaway for lunch and might even have done it for dinner too!!! So that's like £15 odd saved just today!!! :D

Oh forgot to add my fav sandwich fillings:

Sausage and ketchup or mayo or branston pickle (try the pickle its OMG yummy lol!!)
    Gammon with salad cream
    I also love a chicken maryland with added sasuage :eek::D
  • penelopedee_2
    penelopedee_2 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2013 at 3:35PM
    Options
    Afternoon all. My three fav sarnies at the moment are:

• Chicken and cranberry sauce/jelly
    • Cold sausages and onion relish
    • Cheese and home made coleslaw
    Salads I like are:

• Cold duck and spinnach, raddish, pepper & carrot
    • Cheese, ham & whatever salad is in the fridge
    • Chicken and cold bacon bits
    Kittie, use any of the bits my from previous post if you want to.
    My work mates are pretty good at taking in lunches - they like couscous and salad or cold pasta with chicken. Once is really into beetroot salads. They also bring in chopped mixed fruit in tub as we have a fridge we can store in it (but I prefer my Christmas chocolates personally).

I'm carry the process into weekend lunches now. Yesterday was ham and egg sarnies (using up Christmas bits). Today is another christmas lunch with the spare chicken I bought just in case and the remainder of the veg. The spare sprouts have also been cooked up and frozen ready to have in the week.

Amazingly, given that the 2 boys were off school this week my shopping bill was only £35 for foodstuff, the kitchen is still full and we've only had to get in some more ham for the lunch boxes. Not sure what they will say about getting mince pies every day though :)

Have a good Sunday afternoon all.
    This time I haven't smoked since 6th Jan 2014 and still going ok.
    Fingers crossed x
  • vics199
    vics199 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    First week of no buying lunch completed! Probably not that much saved for me as I would have only bought something once or twice in recent months, so maybe £5 saved. But thats still £5 that I didn't waste.

I had a cheese and salami roll today - using up the rest of the salami I bought at Christmas.

Tomorrow shall be a cheese and pickle roll and then 3 more days of using up the now frozen parsnip and ginger soup.
  • Betty_Crumble
    Betty_Crumble Posts: 609 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2013 at 4:50PM
    Options
    i have just divied (?) up into little resealable bags
    pretzels
    chocolate cake
    nature valley bars (2 are too much)
    cadburys animal biccies from christmas
    scones and butter portions ( cant remember where I acquired them from)
    and the last of the mince pies yaaaaaay
    make them easier to grab to put in the lunch bags

we're having sfc wraps tomorrow and whats left of the other half of the scones i made up with jam and clotted cream

those birds eye chargrills work out good £wise for wraps when they're on offer
    going to cook extra pasta the day we have pasta bake so we can have tuna pasta for lunch the next day
    Littlewoods £10 Very BNPL £234.42
    My total debt is [STRIKE]£7242.32[/STRIKE]£244.42
    Extra payment a week: This week: £
    Total to date: £1279.29 not incl this week
    #33 NOvember challenge
  • kittiej
    edited 10 January 2013 at 11:22PM
    Options
    Hi Guys

You all seem to be doing incredibly well - woo-hoo keep it up :T

Betty you are really organised, much more than I could ever be :D

vics - phew you managed to have a rest from the parsnip soup! Very well done on saving yourself a fiver that's terrific :T
    penelopedee and AFK_Matrix- you are doing magnificently also :T well done for avoiding those take aways AFK and Penelope what a good idea to carry your lunch ideas over to the weekend, I might have to consider this as well.

It's a good job I made chilli yesterday as my DS2 has eaten all of my bread by having jam on toast! I get bread from work but now DH is having to buy another loaf from a regular shop so that's going to be over a pound instead of 60p. Oh well he's paying :D.

Sorry guys I haven't had chance to compile that list of fave sw or lunch ideas but I promise I will get round to doing it. I have an accounts assignment lurking in the background atm but that will be gone after Thursday then it's Marketing yippee, I love marketing, finding out about how retailers sell us their products!

Oh and I thought I would just mention the little food flask I bought. I tested it out last night by putting boiling water in it at 7pm, at 11pm the water was still very hot and at 11am this morning the water was still warm enough to eat had it been food so I expect great things from my £7.50 spend lol.

I will report back later, keep up the good work everyone.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been getting ready for my first day back at school. I've made up fruit salad (extra in a tuppaware box for the next few days... I try to save time by doing as much chopping as possible in one go).

This is made up of a funsized apple, 1 kiwi fruit, a slice of honeydew melon, some tinned mango slices and a few spoons of the syrup from the mango tin to stop the fruit turning brown. The blue bowl sits within the lid of the plastic bowl. That contains some granola that I bought in home bargains today. probably add a yoghurt to my fruity granola creation for my snack at breaktime.

28lcjur.jpg

The main event then is my salad box. Pics from left to right show salad base (chopped cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber, julienned carrots, some baby gem lettuce leaves and a few chopped baby beetroot). I topped this with a squirt of salad cream, a hard boiled egg and some chopped turkey. On top of that went half a pack of cous cous.

2n6cfl.jpg

Finally, I bought some supplies in Home Bargains today. The fruit slices were 89p for a pack of 5 (each pack contains 3 biscuits), the malteaser sachets were 99p for 5 and the tinned spahetti were 29p each (dated until 2014). Finally the mugshot was 30something pence. They will live in my cupboard in work for when I need a treat or forget my lunch.

2vhx85f.jpg
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills