Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fatbeetle
    • By fatbeetle 12th Sep 17, 6:24 AM
    • 297Posts
    • 427Thanks
    fatbeetle
    Living on savings
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:24 AM
    Living on savings 12th Sep 17 at 6:24 AM
    In order to retire early, me and SWMBO will be living on a lump sum I am due.

From Jan 2018 until sometime in 2024, we will live on a pot which currently stands at roughly £274,000

Has anyone else lived on a savings pot for a period?

Any tips or advice?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 20-09-2017 at 9:20 AM.
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
Page 5
    • point5clue
    • By point5clue 24th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    point5clue
    I'm planning on a similar situation to OP, but I have the luxury of needing to live off approx £200k for 5 years in 5 years time. As such I am prepared to take a little more risk.

Half will be going into VG Global All cap - can afford to wait until 7.5 years to draw this down so reasonable chance of at least preserving capital I believe.

I've put £40k in to his and hers P2P IFISAs (the main risk I worry about over longer term with P2P loans is liquidity and if taking an income this is not a problem)

Another £40k I've put into a Secure Trust 2yr bond - basically punting it into the future at near inflation. I hope when it comes out of the TARDIS the bond market will have normalised ???

Final £20k - LS20 as a proxy for a bond fund - I don't expect any returns from this, but I wanted something to rebalance the VG all cap against. Actually rebalancing against 50/50 ratio to the extent liquidity will allow.
    Last edited by point5clue; 24-09-2017 at 9:03 AM. Reason: Edited to correct £20 to £20k
    • fatbeetle
    • By fatbeetle 25th Sep 17, 10:41 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    fatbeetle
    Oh thanks Martin!! Putting this out of Facebook has made me "hate of the day" for the envy brigade.....

https://www.facebook.com/MoneySavingExpert/photos/a.466253016762524.1073741825.235728459814982/1433647640023052/?type=3
    Last edited by fatbeetle; Yesterday at 10:45 PM.
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

226Posts Today

1,553Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin