County court business centrehi

Options
Hi,

Wondered if you could help. I had a debt with a company called cash genie back in 2013, earlier this year I was awarded redress and was told in email by the liquidators that my account was now settled and closed.

On Thursday I received a letter from moriaty law saying that I have made no payments and I would be receiving a notice from county court, but the letter also mentioned not to worry, contact us within 14days to discuss repayment. Today I received the notice from the county Court asking me if I accept the debt, also asking for income etc.

As I mention above, moriarty law mentioned I have 14 days from their letter so I was surprised what I received today. I tried to call Moriarty but they were closed when I got home.

I will call them Monday and discuss that I was advised the debt was settled closed, but what do I do? Offer them a repayment and they can cancel the notice or?

Thanks,

A panicked Chris

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

Why would you pay a debt that's already settled ?

Inform them in no uncertain terms that the debt was settled and the account is now closed, do you have evidence to support this ?

If You have received a claim form, then defend the case in full on the basis there is no case to answer as no debt now exists.

Don't be bullied because they have a legal sounding name, they are a plain old debt collector, nothing more.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • thabeska
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have in an email during the redress, and I quote from the email "
    The refund is to be offered as full and final settlement. However, you will also be entitled to statutory interest from the date of your loan, which will be calculated by RSM and added to the amount of £24.19 when payment is made.

This will mean that you will have repaid the capital only and your Cash Genie account is now closed in full."

I also could not locate this debt on my credit file, but I am aware not all debt is reported.

I had two loans with them, the second had no credit check or affordability. But as they mentioned the cash genie account is now closed I take it, as it's closed settled etc.

Chris
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    In that case do as advised above.

They will, no doubt want to see a copy of that email.

It's not unheard of for accounts such as this to be sold on.

I think they do it deliberately just to cause you hassle, I would put written complaints into both companies if it were me.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • thabeska
    Options
    Thanks, I believe you can answer the query online now? I will still phone them Monday and see what they are playing at. I have no problems giving them a copy of the email
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    That's all fine, but you will still have to go online to the moneyclaim site and tick that you defend the claim in full, and do so within 19 days (14+5) of the service date, or you will get a ccj in default.
  • thabeska
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. I have done the defence online tonight. I will keep you updated.

Chris
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport