Christmas presents from charity shops!

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Sophs-mum wrote: »
    This is a great idea, I'd definitely do it myself but the charity shops near me never have anything good in, I'm always envious of people who find great charity shop buys!
    Don't read this thread then:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3859129&page=209
    :)
  • Noooo Polly, I definitely don't want to read that ha! :D
  • I got some bits today from a charity shop for Christmas! I think you need to have a keen eye for stuff and have a few rules regarding what you'd get or not
    094 Sealed pot member! :beer: (7) €185 (8) €138 (9) €€250
    Saving for our first home!
  • skogar
    skogar Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    OH's parent's often pick up things for us in the charity shops for Christmas and we do for them too. It tends to be cheap silly things, a funny book, something they / or us might like to read, a bit of a joke. Things don't need to be in perfect condition although many of the books we do keep. Costs little we have a laugh and anything not needed is returned to a charity shop after we've read it etc. Also raises a little money for charities as well. :)
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 61.5/66.5 coupons remaining
    1 cardigan
  • I've bought fiction books from charity shops in the past for friends who like reading, picking something I've read myself and think they will enjoy too, or a title that looks good. I'm planning to do the same this year for my book reading group friends with a home-made bookmark to make it more personal.
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    I think charity shops (round 'ere) charge too much for Christmas presents. I find a get a better deal on ebay even with a postage charge.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Towser wrote: »
    I think charity shops (round 'ere) charge too much for Christmas presents. I find a get a better deal on ebay even with a postage charge.
    I think prices charged by (some) charity shops is an entirely different debate. ;)

When you say 'charity shops charge too much for christmas presents' do you mean new items that some charity shops buy in or donated items?
  • madrhino
    madrhino Posts: 246 Forumite
    I bought a sparkly diamante necklace recently from a charity shop for a friends birthday, I just had to check it over to make sure all the stones were there. It was very pretty and delicate and the glass stones had a sort of green hue to them which made it a bit different from your usually diamante stuff. I put it in a little satin bag. My friend loves it. Haven't told her it was from a charity shop, don't think she'd be too bothered. But it looked as good as new.
  • We do this every year in my family. Budget is £10 per head, and present must come from a charity shop. We also give a donation of say £20 per head to a charity of our choosing, which represents what we 'would' have spent (plus the original tenner) on a new gift. It is incredible how much you can buy for £10 if you keep your eyes peeled and plan a bit ahead. Hardback books, CD's in brand new condition, lovely accessories and jewellery. I'm very fond of pretty china tea cups and saucers - with a box of posh tea and in a nice box they make a lovely, vintage gift.
  • Some areas have better selection of charity shops than others. I’ve recently discovered Harpenden Herts. Great selection there. Very reasonable prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure