Lenovo z580 regular, slow and inconvenient Windows 10 updates

Options
GibsonSt19
GibsonSt19 Posts: 2,736 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 8 October 2016 at 6:15PM in Techie Stuff
Hi all, my wife's laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 i5-3210M 8GB) is only used once a day for a matter of an hour or two, but everyone she comes to use it (often when our little one is having her nap) it always seems to be applying an update.

Sometimes the updates takes 20 minutes or so, but more often then not they take nearer two hours, by which time our little one's woken up, and the convenient moment to do some work is well over.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

I know it's not a bleeding edge laptop, but really thought it should more than adequate for Internet and Office use.

Even when it was running Windows 7 it never felt snappy (since the day I bought it, September 2012).

I've already tried clean installing Windows 10 and that seems to have made no difference whatsoever, so I'm thinking it could possibly be a hardware issue?

All drivers up to date as far as I'm concerned.

I also take issue with the Windows update etiquette! "Your computer is scheduled to restart. Either save your work and restart now or it will restart at 16:30." Not verbatim of course.

Thanks!

Comments

• fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Use "Settings", then "Updates and Security" then "Change active hours" and "Restart Options" to force the updates to be applied at a time of your choosing.
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2016 at 6:53PM
    Options
    Check the fans and exhaust port are free of detritus, CPUs can down clock if they get too hot, it's called thermal throttling.

When shutting down do a proper shutdown and not sleep as the updates will be applied there and then or alternatively disable hybrid sleep/fast start up.

What AV are you using ? If Nortons then remove, ugh.

Fit an SSD in replacement of the hard disk, it will speed things up enormously.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • GibsonSt19
    Options
    Thanks! That should sort the inconvenient times.

It's just the length of time that needs addressing now.
  • GibsonSt19
    edited 8 October 2016 at 7:03PM
    Options
    fifeken wrote: »
    Use "Settings", then "Updates and Security" then "Change active hours" and "Restart Options" to force the updates to be applied at a time of your choosing.
    Fightsback wrote: »
    Check the fans and exhaust port are free of detritus, CPUs can down clock if they get too hot, it's called thermal throttling.

When shutting down do a proper shutdown and not sleep as the updates will be applied there and then or alternatively disable hybrid sleep/fast start up.

Thanks, I keep them clean so throttling shouldn't be an issue. It's always felt a lot slower than it should. It's not too bad with general tasks, but updates taking a couple of hours is nonsense!

AV is Avast free, and SSD is a possibility, but I begrudge paying for functionality that should be delivered out of the box (just referring to not being dog slow!)
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    rather than only firing it up an hour a day, leave the thing on over the weekend or any other few days on the trot to allow the updates to work through, restarting manually whenever it's indicated that a restart is required. You're never giving it chance to do updates, so they're queuing up to be applied/restarted/download the next lot.

This has been a very common issue on all versions of windows where updates are set to install automatically, most of the ones I've had to fix have been like that TBH. The shorter time the machine is on at a time, the worse the problem tends to be....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2016 at 11:19PM
    Options
    There is a wide spread windows 10 update failure resulting in the need for many re-boots again and ad nauseum. It prompted me to find an alternative means of using my PC. ( The win10 reboots settled down after a week of hair pulling).

I put a linux ISO of Ubuntu on a USB 'thumb' drive with the YUMI multiboot USB creator. I granted the USB system 4GB space to play with for updates etc... My router is happy to grant an internet connection. I still can find out that I am going to be late despite a computer update failure.

I also have the usefulness of other ISO based material. Such as the universal boot CD as an alternative boot strategy on the same USB stick.

J_B

Here is a perhaps a useful link if you can get you machine to boot up properly:-
    http://www.windowscentral.com/windows10-anniversary-update-common-problems-how-fix

Unfortunately you can't read this message if your computer fails to boot through some idiocracy at MSoftHQ.
  • GibsonSt19
    Options

Bah! I'm blaming you! :p

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5540472
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Options
    GibsonSt19 wrote: »

Don't go willy nilly changing the settings in the BIOS when you don't know what they do, ask first ;)
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • GibsonSt19
    Options
    Don't go willy nilly changing the settings in the BIOS when you don't know what they do, ask first ;)

It certainly wasn't 'willy nilly'! It was after after the best part of half a day reading through the Lenovo forums!
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Flick the computer on in the morning and let it do its update if needed while you/wife go about your business, then when you come to use it it is ready and waiting.

As mentioned above, if you arent giving it a window to do these updates then it is inevitable you will need to sit and watch it sometime
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure