Spear phishing scam?

Comments

• I've received one too, purporting to be from a Scottish charity, demanding payment for an invoice from a defence contractor, using my recent old address. I was a bit concerned there was some sort of keystroke logger virus on my computer but looking at this thread, it looks like it's probably a data breach from a company where we are all customers,
  • SomeOne_2
    SomeOne_2 Posts: 144
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I recieved one of these too, a different company but exact same wording and my address.

I'm wondering if this is from a previous ebay breach as the email address it was sent to was used for my ebay account - I don't have any proof of this.

SomeOne
  • I also got one i just googled "we act on behalf of " and found your post.

Scary how they have my correct name, address & email.
  • torbrex wrote: »
    I got one today.
    Strange how they have my full home address including postcode and sent it to my most private email address. :mad:

I got a very similar one today too. It was sent to an email address I ONLY use on ebay. I can only assume my personal details were "acquired" via somebody I have bought from on ebay.

Anyway, the email is now deleted, I only googled the text out of curiosity to see if anybody else reckoned their details had come from ebay...
  • Ewung
    Ewung Posts: 1 Newbie
    I received this similar email yesterday:

Dear (gave my full name)

Regarding the amount due 1206.90 GBP, we act on behalf of British Filters Ltd in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.

We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 25.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link:

Had to remove link as it would not let me post to the forum but it was a w w w website followed by littlebigdev then dot net

Original invoice will be sent out to:
    (My full name & address)

In order to avoid further costs, please forward the payment to us and transfer the amount due not later than 12.04.16

Yours sincerely,
    Sean Sanders
  • gollum007
    gollum007 Posts: 301
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The data they have has come from eBay-
    I made a very distinctive typo (Surname ended up being repeated twice, one stuck on the end of my first name) which this shows.

-Gollum
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    I did a check on 2 of the company names that were on the mail sent to me and one of them had a scam warning posted on the front pages of their website.

I would encourage everyone NOT to click on the link in the email.
  • Hi

also got one this morning......

Dear (Just my name, no Mr)

Regarding the amount due 435.80 GBP, we act on behalf of Smit International (Scotland) Ltd in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.

We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 31.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link:
    ringwoodgrantwriters.com/index.php?????????

(My Full Address)

In order to avoid further costs, please forward the payment to us and transfer the amount due not later than 14.04.16

Kind regards,
    Phillip Martinez

Firstly, the named company seems to be a Marine Salvage company. I back traced the ip address of the sender located inside the email details. It originated in Italy. 'ringwoodgrantwriters.com' does exhist and is a non profit fund raising company based in California. The web address they want you to go to opens up a box containing a named zip file to download. Obviously stay away from this as I went there safely.
    The email address of the sender is 'pmartinez@chect.org.uk'. The @chect.org.uk belongs to a Childhood Eye Cancer Trust in London.

The thing that annoyed me most was that they had my address. Sold on be someone. Wish I could find out who.

The sooner these scumbags tracked down and dealt with the better.

Always be suspicious and u will be ok
  • SomeOne_2
    SomeOne_2 Posts: 144
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The sender's email address you've quoted most likely would not have been involved, posting it publicly here exposes them to more spam.
    Hi

also got one this morning......

Dear (Just my name, no Mr)

Regarding the amount due 435.80 GBP, we act on behalf of Smit International (Scotland) Ltd in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.

We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 31.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link:
    ringwoodgrantwriters.com/index.php?????????

(My Full Address)

In order to avoid further costs, please forward the payment to us and transfer the amount due not later than 14.04.16

Kind regards,
    Phillip Martinez

Firstly, the named company seems to be a Marine Salvage company. I back traced the ip address of the sender located inside the email details. It originated in Italy. 'ringwoodgrantwriters.com' does exhist and is a non profit fund raising company based in California. The web address they want you to go to opens up a box containing a named zip file to download. Obviously stay away from this as I went there safely.
    The email address of the sender is [Removed] belongs to a Childhood Eye Cancer Trust in London.

The thing that annoyed me most was that they had my address. Sold on be someone. Wish I could find out who.

The sooner these scumbags tracked down and dealt with the better.

Always be suspicious and u will be ok

SomeOne
  • SomeOne wrote: »
    The sender's email address you've quoted most likely would not have been involved, posting it publicly here exposes them to more spam.

Ridiculous comment. If you had bothered to read the text properly you would find that I explained that the @chect.org.uk belonged to a childrens cancer trust. People are on here to warn and advise each other. Not to send out emails to fictitious scammers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure