How much energy do you use?

Options

Comments

• E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hiya FreddieFrugal,

Not much I can add really, sounds like you're doing super well with your usage :D

It does look like you already know, but just ensure you're using your usage in kWh when you pop the details into the comparison sites.

If you need any help from me though, I'm here.

Helena :)
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • FreddieFrugal
    FreddieFrugal Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 September 2015 at 4:53PM
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    @FF -as an aside - does your fridge/freezer stay frozen in the Winter in the garage ?
    We have an older fridge/freezer in our garage for overflow storage, but can only use in the Summer because the compressor never runs in the Winter as the thermostat is in the fridge part and is nearly always cold enuf.:o

Yes ours works fine, freezer stays frozen, fridge stays chilled.

What make is your fridge freezer?

Is your garage an integral one?

The only reason our fridge is in the garage is because our kitchen is a funny L shape and there's nowhere it would fit. But it's fine as it's literally just there through the door , makes no difference, just have added benefit of it being kept at a cooler temp.
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    @FF -as an aside - does your fridge/freezer stay frozen in the Winter in the garage ?
    We have an older fridge/freezer in our garage for overflow storage, but can only use in the Summer because the compressor never runs in the Winter as the thermostat is in the fridge part and is nearly always cold enuf.:o

Hiya. If you have a single thermostat FF then you probably will have problems if sited in a cold location. I think there is a fix available, but it's pretty daft, involving a small heater that warms the fridge occasionally to force it to run the compressor and thereby cool the freezer.

We have a freezer in the unheated garage, not many makes/models are guaranteed to work in such locations, so it's worth checking the specs before buying. If your freezer or FF isn't suitable for use in a cold location, then your insurance might not cover lost food if it fails.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Yes ours works fine, freezer stays frozen, fridge stays chilled.

As suggested in posts#10 and#14 that will only work correctly if you have separate thermostats on the freezer and fridge sections.

With a single thermostat, whilst the freezer contents may be frozen, it is extremely unlikely that the contents will be around -18 to -20C required to store food for long periods.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    uncreative wrote: »
    :eek: 5 of us in a 4 bed detached:

22,174 kWh Gas
    6,586 kWh Electricity

I'm in a similar situation with similar numbers.

Gas is 24,428 kWh.

Electric was 8,276 kWh pre-solar and is kWh 5,594 post-solar.

Base-load for property is 330 kW including fridge and freezers. About 3,000 kWh in a year.

Tumble dryer metered 897 kWh in a year.
    Washing machine metered 416 kWh in a year.
    Dish washer metered 296 kWh in a year.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • fluffymuffy
    Options
    Elec - 11,600 kWh
    Oil - 1000 litres
    Logs - 4 m3
    Coal - 600kg
    I am the Cat who walks by itself and all places are alike to me.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    3 Bed mid terrace, 3 occupants.

Electric: 1500kWh
    Gas: 4600kWh
  • Vampgirl
    Options
    4 bed detached, 2 occupants
    Electric: 2275 kWh
    Gas: 8450 kWh

We do have all the usual things: large TV, dishwasher, tumble dryer (but only used occasionally), electric oven, fridge freezer + chest freezer in garage. I also work from home most days so the heating is on during the day in winter.

But on the positive side: the house is only 1 year old so its well insulated, we have a few solar panels and almost all the lighting is LED. And we do tend to use throws on the sofas instead of turning the heating up if we're ever a bit chilly in the evening.
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2015 at 12:49PM
    Options
    1200kwh/pa or 136watts average use is low, how did you arrive at this figure, actual readings? what is the stated running costs and make/model of this fridge freezer
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • NittyGritty
    Options
    3 bed
    3000 day units
    10000 night units

total 13000 all electric econemy 7
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing