Alternative For Quicken

Can anyone advise on an alternative for Quicken, for a new start-up business, for online record keeping etc?

Has anyone any experience with MyBusiness?

Thanks for any help.

Jay :)
The only stupid question, is an unasked question ...

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JayS wrote:
    Can anyone advise on an alternative for Quicken, for a new start-up business, for online record keeping etc?

Has anyone any experience with MyBusiness?
    Do you mean 'online' - which I understand to mean remotely, on some website somewhere - or do you just mean on a computer, locally?

If the latter, you may find you can do a lot of what you want with Excel or similar. Certainly the basics of reconciliation, analysing spend, whatever you call that thing where you predict how much money you'll have if x, y and z happen (sorry my vocabulary has just left my brain ...)

Sorry I don't have experience of MyBusiness. But if you want to see what I used to do with Excel pm me your email address and I'll send a file - I kept the books for an out of school club using nothing more than Excel.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • bridiej
    bridiej Posts: 5,775 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I use Excel too, it's perfectly adequate for small business needs and doesnt involve expensive software or update contracts.

I just pop in now and then.... :)
    transcribing
  • JayS_3
    JayS_3 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Thank you, we're off to look at Excel.

Jay
  • I use Excel too, it's excellent for a small business so long as you know a little about using spreadsheets.

I devised my workbook from one of the proprietry accounts books that can be obtained at any stationers. This was then adapted to suit my usage. I used to use these books in the days before I had a PC.

Perhaps we should start an "Excel Book-keeping" thread to compare notes.

Regards JC
  • bridiej
    bridiej Posts: 5,775 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sounds like a good idea Justin :)

I just pop in now and then.... :)
    transcribing
  • JayneH_3
    JayneH_3 Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dont forget that if you do use excel spreadsheets, you should make sure you are using a "double entry" system. The software accounting packages are all double entry, which should mean less chance of mistakes when it comes to reconciling your bank account, VAT account PAYE etc. monthly, quarterly at the year end or whatever.
    Excel is good, so long as you are disciplined. If not, you can end up spending more money at the accountants than you would have done by purchasing an inexpensive software package in the first place.
    So many shoes, so little time....
  • JayS_3
    JayS_3 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Thanks for all your advice about this. My husband, who orginally asked the question, has managed to get a copy of the trial version of Quicken and when he phoned Quicken to ask what would happen when they stop supporting it later this year, they promised to send him a full version with indefinate entry.

Result! :D

JayS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure