what are the best things to sell on ebay?

Options

Comments

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The best thing to sell on e-bay must be "Fakes" as e-bay is full of them
  • Kay_Peel
    Kay_Peel Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    Options
    I no longer buy the things I can get on the High Street or in Retail Parks.

I look for:

* Sellers who are closely connected with their products - they make them or restore them. The Keywords, for me, are 'Unique; handcrafted; handknitted; handspun; handmade; hand-dyed, one-off; bespoke. There are some astonishing craftsmen and women selling on Ebay: like the small family firm making their own mineral makeup, or the young student making her own gorgeous leather handbags, to the crofters and farmers wives making knitwear in pure wool and their own jewellery.

* Stuff that's not available in the UK shops and can only be found in the USA or Canada - like particular brands of swimwear, golf clubs, make-up, water-based nail varnish and so on. I don't want to pay the import taxes, VAT or other duties, so any seller who gets hold of these rare beauties will get my custom.

* Really cheap things that it is not worth travelling to the town for (I'd only have to pay for car-parks, fuel etc) - a 2008 diary selling for a couple of quid with postage included, for instance.

* Heavy things that I can pick up myself - a vintage bike for less than a tenner.

Well that's me!

kay
  • Kay_Peel
    Kay_Peel Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    Options
    And another thing.

I was recently browsing through the Women's Underwear Section and noticed that one of the popular searches was for 'USED'. I suspect that a euphemism for 'unwashed and with an accompanying letter of the naughty variety'.

Yep. There's a market for everything, it seems. :rotfl:

Kay
  • Dick_here
    Dick_here Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would a (current) Girls' Brigade jumper sell do you reckon, or is that too specific ?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Cleosmum
    Cleosmum Posts: 2,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to post on a forum where a fellow member made a fair whack selling used vibrators. Bizarro but they were snapped up before cheaper BNIP ones.
  • zpodent
    Options
    stevew8975 wrote: »
    People make less money by giving away their selling secrets and suppliers. It's a rather impertinent question to ask as people have worked long and hard to make their selling profitable, so do not expect any magic answers to be revealed.

Consider asking for general selling advice or help, rather than asking to be handed it all on a plate. You are much more likely to receive a favourable and constructive response.

A constructive response may be along the lines of "Why don't you make notes at the carboot sales or charity shops to remind you of what type of items are for sale, and how much, then check the current prices on eBay to see if there is enough margin in it to make it worthwhile for you." ;) :cool:

:mad:Wow, what a moronic, patronising response, you really need to get out more. I don't think the original poster was looking for the secret to making millions but merely what is worth trying to sell. Stay away if you've nothing constructive to say, forums are full of people like you trying to spoil it for everyone else.

If you have any second hand camera equipment it tends to hold its value and sells really well on eBay. Hope that's not too big a secret otherwise steveperson will implode.
  • TurkishDelight
    Options
    zpodent wrote: »
    :mad:Wow, what a moronic, patronising response, you really need to get out more. I don't think the original poster was looking for the secret to making millions but merely what is worth trying to sell. Stay away if you've nothing constructive to say, forums are full of people like you trying to spoil it for everyone else.

If you have any second hand camera equipment it tends to hold its value and sells really well on eBay. Hope that's not too big a secret otherwise steveidiot will implode.
    :rolleyes: Simple terms are needed with this one.

Generally if things are worth selling then the posters are already selling them- why would they want more competition.
    For some of us this is how we make our living. :rotfl:
    This is my opinion. There are many others like it but this is mine
    :kisses2: Fiancee of the "lovely" DaveAshton :kisses2:
    I am a professional ebay seller. I work hard at my job, I love my job, if you think it's silly that's your problem not mine. :p
  • ArmitageShanks
    Options
    zpodent wrote: »

If you have any second hand camera equipment it tends to hold its value and sells really well on eBay. Hope that's not too big a secret otherwise steveidiot will implode.
    So bizarre how old threads get dug up for no reason....
    I don't think the original poster was looking for the secret to making millions but merely what is worth trying to sell.
    Not many people sell on ebay to make millions, many sell on ebay to make a living.
    Stay away if you've nothing constructive to say,
    Steve's one the most constructive posters on here.
    spoil it for everyone else
    You're the one (hoping) to spoil it for everyone else by expecting trade secretes to be doffed out like confetti.

You registered just to post that. Mongoose.
  • zpodent
    Options
    So bizarre how old threads get dug up for no reason....

Not many people sell on ebay to make millions, many sell on ebay to make a living.
    Steve's one the most constructive posters on here.
    You're the one (hoping) to spoil it for everyone else by expecting trade secretes to be doffed out like confetti.

You registered just to post that. Mongoose.

Just because it's old, it doesn't mean it's not relevant. You're really missing the point, I'm not looking for trade secrets but it's sometimes useful to know what's worth trying to sell on eBay and what's not. You see so many items not selling. There are far more people using eBay to sell the odd thing when they have a clear out than people trying to make a living.

And yes I did register just for that, it really annoys me on these types of forums where you get serial posters that think they own the place. This steve person may very well be constructive normally but this is hardly a good example.
  • TurkishDelight
    Options
    Items don't sell for some very simple reasons:

Overpriced
    Bad titles
    Bad descriptions
    Bad/low feedback
    No demand

Try and stop all of them and it's likely you'll get a sale.
    If you're only having a clearout then that should be enough as there is no outlay save for fees and P+P. So make sure they are covered in starting price and P+P

There we go- constructive advice :p
    This is my opinion. There are many others like it but this is mine
    :kisses2: Fiancee of the "lovely" DaveAshton :kisses2:
    I am a professional ebay seller. I work hard at my job, I love my job, if you think it's silly that's your problem not mine. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure