Santander data leak or address book assault ? AKA Direct Debiting Seminar Invite.

Comments

• I am getting a steady stream of stuff to both my Santander email addresses now.
    The latest ones are advising me of an urgent voice mail on Skype !
  • Lomcevak
    Lomcevak Posts: 1,023
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I am getting a steady stream of stuff to both my Santander email addresses now.
    The latest ones are advising me of an urgent voice mail on Skype !

And me - recently i've had that Skype message and several DHL 'delivery attempts', all with a .zip to open. Forwarded to Santander phishing address and not had any kind of response, even bot-generated.

Unique email address on a domain I own (and not santander@...) so zero chance it is guessed or taken from somewhere else, must be a Santander-internal leak. I've only been a Santander customer for a few months, so must be quite recent too.
    £40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Lomcevak wrote: »
    And me - recently i've had that Skype message and several DHL 'delivery attempts', all with a .zip to open. Forwarded to Santander phishing address and not had any kind of response, even bot-generated.

I've had loads of those too, but to randomly generated addresses as well as my Santander address. Be VERY careful with them, it's highly likely that the attachment is Cryptolocker.
    Stompa
  • Lomcevak
    Lomcevak Posts: 1,023
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Mostly i'm upset that a bank where I hold a lot of money has leaked at least some information about me :)

Less worried about the payload as I'm pretty careful with these things; the email runs as a limited user on a Linux box and although that's not impregnable it is likely pretty good against most generic trojans.
    £40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)
  • quaybab
    quaybab Posts: 115
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Santander deny leaking (unique) email addresses and will not be investigating any further. However with information security, you deny everything and admit nothing.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    I'd contact the information commissioner.
  • They have yet to reply to my query to their phishing email address about how the email address that I only gave to santander leaked.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Also look out for Emails from Barclay's saying they are confirming payment to an another account..

Has a zipped file attached which says it's a printed receipt( yeah! right :D).

Had 4 emails exactly the same, except for different amounts land into my email address.

I am surprised by the amounts 'taken' , I have not already had a visit by the Barclay SWAT team. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Only just seen this thread. I was concerned last month when I received a number of emails (with zip file attachments) sent to an address I would have used when a customer of Abbey National. So the address acquisition could be from old records not properly disposed of.
  • bubieyehyeh
    bubieyehyeh Posts: 587
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 6 December 2013 at 10:41PM
    Its not old santander email addresses, mine was my current santander email address that I've used for only 2-3 years.

I've not had anymore emails since but I think my webmail provider discards email which its is sure that are dodgy and doesn't even put them in the spam folder.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure