PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2016

Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Three Graham Masterson book on Amazon kindle Daily Deal today.

The first three Kate Maguire books, White Bones at 60p, the next two at 99p.

I'm hopeless at links on the iPad, sorry.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • cairndog
    cairndog Posts: 226 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Three Graham Masterson book on Amazon kindle Daily Deal today.

The first three Kate Maguire books, White Bones at 60p, the next two at 99p.

I'm hopeless at links on the iPad, sorry.

Hi pollypenny
    I was interested to see you like crime/thriller books. I've never tried the Katie Maguire series, does each book stand on i'ts own or would I need some background to try them?
    I've read various detective/thriller type books and liked Kate Atkinsons Jackson Brodie but found Joe Nesbo too grisly for me!

I recently read a Peter James inspector Roy Grace and will look out for another but there seem to be hundreds as that's all he writes.
    For anyone who is a fan of his there's an interesting piece on crime writers in Mail on Sunday Event mag this week (mail online).It seems he has a tame detective friend and over many years they have met in a sussex pub to plot each Roy Grace book before he writes it.
    Fascinating stuff I thought.

My library book group came up with what is billed as a "psychological thriller" called Behind Closed Doors by B A Paris.
    I'm half way through but it's so awful I can't waste any more time on it. Must be me as it's got rave reviews all over the net, but there are dissenters so I'm not alone.

Has anyone else on Bookworm thread read it?
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have been dipping in and out of this thread and have been interested to read of the charges made (or not) for book reservations. Our council charge £1.30 to reserve a book. I belong to 2 local book groups and we have been discussing this and many of us prefer to buy books in charity shops (and share between members of the groups) although we have noticed prices going up in those too. One of the groups I belong to was started by the library service about 16years ago under an initiative to increase reading, and there was a list of books held in sufficient number for the various library book groups. Unfortunately this service was withdrawn a few years ago due to cutbacks so we continued by ourselves in a local church room. It is interesting to look back and see what I have read over the past 16 years, and am now trying to keep records of what I read for myself - although I often move on to the next book and forget to update my list.
    I have just finished Moving by Jenny Éclair which my daughter gave to me for Mother's Day. I wasn't sure if I would like it as I'm not too fond of Jenny Éclair (a little too ascerbic for me) but it was a very enjoyable, easy read.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cairndog, White Bones is the only Kate Maguire Ive read so far and it's the first.

I have a feeling that the books stand alone, with her own life being almost incidental to the crime. Carla Lackberg's books are like that.

Just realised that no one has mentioned Carla Lackberg - very clever Scandi crime, less violent than Nesbo.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I've been away on a 5 week cruise and this is what I read while I was away. I averaged two books a week. I thought it'd have been more, but there was so much to see and do, I didn't read quite as much as I thought

8 - The Tea Rose – Jennifer Donnelley
    9 - Precious Time – Erica James
    10 - The Smile of a Ghost – Phil Rickman
    11 - The Man from St Petersburg – Ken Follett
    12 - The Last Letter from Your Lover – Jojo Moyes
    13 - Summer at the Lake – Erica James
    14 - The Scandalous Duchess – Anne O’Brien
    15 - Best Kept Secret – Jeffrey Archer
    16 - A Place Called Freedom – Ken Follett
    17 - Gardens of Delight – Erica James

I've decided to stop looking at the Kindle Daily Deals for a while, as I want to try and clear my Kindle archive. I have more than enough books for the rest of the year.... I'll see how I get on
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello bookworms book-smiley.gif?1292867558 I've read a few since I was last here.

The remaining by D J Molles. With zombies zombi-smiley.gif?1292867706 - very good. There are 5 more (so far) that I intend reading.
    The shadow of the hangman by Edward Marston. Have read a couple of his Railway Detective books but this is the first in a new series featuring the Bow Street Rivals. Really enjoyed it, will look for more.
    Stealing people by Robert Wilson. I couldn't get into this so didn't finish it.
    The spinster's secret by Anthony Gilbert. Published and set in the 1940's. The private detective is called Mr Crook :cool: Very enjoyable. Will keep an eye out for more on my next trip to a second hand bookshop.

Currently reading Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. I've seen the film but somehow never read the book.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've read quite a lot recently but nothing really memorable - quite a lot of Penelope Fitzgerald, who I love, and a few other books which I wouldn't bother recommending! I finished 'The Bees' by Laline Paull and I thought it was quite good, although there was something about the book that grated on me a bit. I really liked the concept of the story (and anything that gets people thinking about bees is a good thing) and I could accept the fact that the bees in the story were talking and thinking like people, but I just didn't like the way the bees spoke - lots of thees and thous and 'oh, great sister of the hive'! However, if you can get over that then I'd recommend it.

I've also recently read 'The Valley' by Richard Benson and I'd definitely recommend it if you're nosy like me and you enjoy reading about other families' histories. It's a non-ficton account of four generations of Richard's family, who lived in the Dearne Valley in South Yorkshire. It's beautifully written and really good.

I've also just bought 'Rush Oh!' by Shirley Barratt which I'm looking forward to starting. It's a novel about the daughter of a whaling family in New South Wales, and is set in 1908. It's had some really good reviews online and I'm hoping that it will be good.
  • Samah
    Samah Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I'm reading Neil Gaimen, Smoke and Mirrors it is short stories great for reading out and about. Some of the stories are too short just 2 pages sometimes and lack anything really but his good stories have been worthwhile.
    I'm also reading A Deed Without a Name by Lee Morgan, its about traditional magic practise. its not overly pretentious. Well researched. I'm enjoying it.
    I've started picking over a Brief Introduction to Darwin again. I've read it before and its only little but I Have to spend ages thinking of what I just read, and I'm always astounded what a clever man Darwin is.
  • Giddynmg
    Giddynmg Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Haven't been managing to read as much as I'd like at the moment as my concentration is lacking.

Have read Elizabeth is Missing - Emma Healey. Liked it and enjoyed the way it was written but a bit close to home subject wise.

Read Midnight in Austenland - Shannon Hale. Real trashy read but I actually thoroughly enjoyed it.

Have just read Finding Audrey. This is Sophie Kinsella writing YA fiction. Was curious as I've read some of her books before.

Next on the go is Walking the Nile.
  • AliBee16
    AliBee16 Posts: 107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Also reading Rush Oh Callie23, will be interested to see what you think of it. I'm not sure so far - it seems a bit 'unfinished' to me, like it could have done with one more draft, but has some funny bits. I will read more and see.
    Have had to read Pride & Prejudice and Persuasion and a couple of critical article books about Jane Austen as the last knockings of my Eng Lit degree. Come May 27th it will all be over - 6 years of the OU, and I will be able to read what I like, when I like again :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure