KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Welcome back CLutterfree! :wave: After a very tough, no doubt totally exhausting few months you now have really exciting times ahead!!

Siebrie - what a lovely day you have had. Well done on having so much energy and enjoying it all!

I had to go into town this morning. I raced into 2 banks, grabbed the 3 things on my list from Iceland and darted home to collect DH. We drove the 50 miles to his parents, gardened all day and got home at 9pm.
    The 'no carbs' message didn't get through to mil so I had to (and I can hardly believe I am saying this) kondo the chips off my plate and onto DH's plate.

So I discovered that even when presented with chips and then offered all manner of sweet treats I
    COULD RESIST :T

I think I deserve a quiet read of the book I am currently enjoying. I am sure it will be finished in time for Monday's trip to CS.

'Nite All,

M
    oh, yes, I found a cheaper offer on the budget hotel we had already booked for a night to break a long journey in summer so I booked the cheap deal and cancelled the original booking at no charge. Saved £20 :money:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,940
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Kondoed a massive load of weeds today. Another day of it tomorrow, I fear.

And the ironing, finally

White, 70s suit came clean, so that is going next week. :T

Now kondoing some wine and watching Eurovision....... :o
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,880
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    OH came home on Friday night with a horrendous cold. We've been circling round each other in the house trying to avoid each other so I don't catch it, he's been sleeping in the spare room. Really need him to get better soon as we're off on holiday next weekend. Last year I got gastric flu to take away with me, so we've not had a lot of luck on that front in recent holidays.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,065
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    House is still chaos, but have got lots of laundry done this weekend - currently washing bedspreads that were covering piles of stuff in the room that is now being renovated.

As the plumber was delayed and electrician isn't here till tomorrow anyway, the dining room is still out of action. Having taken the radiator off and moved some furniture there are bits that are a different colour to the coat I hastily slapped on just over a year ago because the bright yellow was annoying me. So I've decided to repaint the whole room in the colour I think I might end up using (Dulux Cornish Clay - it's a very pale green). At least I'll get a chance to see whether I can live with it.

I used up a tester pot of green marl (slightly darker) covering some of the visible bits of the kitchen which were annoying me. There's not much point in doing a huge amount in there as the ceiling is going to need to come down and the walls will need scraping right back.

I've also made some progress in the garden - cleared large amounts of water parsnip from the stream on one side of the garden onto the neglected patch of land next door (hopefully it'll squash the nettles!). And have managed to dig over more of the one bed I'm trying to keep under control (it was a hedge until last year, so is a bit of a battle!). I need to get some sweet peas in as it's a bit later. Grass needs mowing as soon as it is dry enough - it may take two cuts as I'm not sure I can lower the blades at the current length. And the other stream needs a bit of clearing too. So plenty to keep me occupied!
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Morning All,
    Well we cleared out 2 sheds yesterday. One is completely empty and the other only has items we are taking with us plus paint and tiles we will be leaving for our buyer.
    Unfortunately water had got into one of the sheds so a lot of toys that were destined to be sold/car booted/donated have died in storage. I felt ashamed at the waste :o but lesson most definitely learned.

Below is the discard pile. Decided to get a skip because it won't cost much more than numerous trips to the tip and will be quicker.

Loft next! Dreading that because I think there will be lots of baby paraphernalia up there. (youngest turned 17 last week!!) :o

0f51ae95-14ac-432d-8826-4ad33f1600d6.jpg
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • Susan1962
    Susan1962 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Very impressed with all this Kondoing going on! I've been slacking off recently due to RL but bit the bullet yesterday and have made some progress: all clean laundry now put away or folded and ready for ironing; two loads of washing on the rotary and another in the machine (and I thought I'd already Kondoed all my clothes but found another couple of giant bags of summer/winter stored things); three Re-Bags to the Sally Ann yesterday and OH helped by Kondoing kitchen cupboard space and making a giant bowl of popcorn!
    Looking ahead
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :) Good to see you back, Clutterfree.

Good work on the shed and don't beat yourself up emotionally about the died-in-storage. We've all been there to some degree, the trick is to learn the lesson so we don't have to play that game again.

I don't have kids but spend enough time with folks who do to know how it works. You put the baby paraphenalia/ kids clothes and toys away justin case there's a late addition to the family. Then it surfaces when your kids are in their mid-late teens and you start thinking it won't be that long until they start their families and you better keep hold of the stuff justin case they need it for the grandchildren.

Only it's died in storage. Or they postpone child-rearing until their late thirties. Or your not-yet-met DIL turns out to be a right little modom about some things and only wants new stuff for the baby. Or the saved stuff is non-compliant with new safety regs......... the list goes on.

:) Been on the allotment today and decluttered some weeds and made a breakthrough in terms of orderliness. Won't last at this time of year but still visually pleasing.

Came home and bathed and stuck some stuff on freegle. Got a taker already, will arrange a pickup asap.

Keep up the good work, one and all. GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,459
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I have a feeling its not original scrimshaw, it's not "homespun" enough (to mix my metaphors), but that page is fascinating, thanks essexgal! I'm utterly useless at putting photos on here, and I'm too stressed with other things to try at the moment, but over the weekend I'll try to take a photo and put it up on my flickr account.

Here I am ... and here's the link https://www.flickr.com/photos/113913137@N06/with/26959762921/ Its not the flickr account I *thought* I had :o but I'll use it for this while I try to find the other one. I'm absolutely *sure* its not scrimshaw now :o it may not even be horn of any sort at all, I suspect its a weird plastic imitation. Maybe it was only bought in the 1950s, not the 1930s as I thought. Heaven only knows what anyone can tell from those photos! I *will* take it to an antique shop, if only for the joy of seeing their expression when I show them the thing :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :DKarmakat, that's a mental-looking object!

I think it's a cow's horn but confess myself not an expert in such things. It's nutty enough to be one of those things which are like marmite - if you're gonna like it, then you'll really like it, IYSWIM.

Don't bin it, I'm sure someone, somewhere, would love to give it a new home.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,459
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: it *is* mental, isn't it :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

It's got an old fashioned two-prong plug as well - it's far, far out of its comfort zone :D

Okay, I suspect it *will* be properly rehomed, rather than rehomed in the bin, ta muchly.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport