KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Morning all

Dad rung me yesterday to ask if I could collect 4 big boxes of books he had kondoed BY HIMSELF :eek: I am teaching him well ;)

So before he changed his mine like a bullet I was loading them in my car ;) They are now in the 24 hour charity shop (village hall shed)
    Dont you just love it when something goes to plan :D

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,880
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Anybody interested in Kondoing weight may be interested in low carbing using https://www.amazon.co.uk/Escape-Diet-Trap-John-Briffa/dp/0007447760/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1463125648&sr=1-1&keywords=escape+the+diet+trap

I was steadily putting on weight, not huge amounts, but was carrying about 20lbs more than I should with no signs of it reducing. Having been recommended by a friend who had tried 'every diet under the sun' but this was the only thing that had worked for her, and she'd maintained the loss for a couple of years, my OH & I both decided to give it a go.

Two years on we maintain a healthy weight quite easily. It's my 10th wedding anniversary next week, I weigh the same as I did the day I bought my wedding dress.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I do the three a day list thing and it really works.:T It's even better if you do the thing you dislike the most first as then the next two seem like a doddle.:)

Thank you for this I am going to start seems like a great idea and one which I maybe able to get done rather than failing on all fronts ;)

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for the link Slinky have checked the library and will collect it later. Since I retired about 12 years ago have put on far too much weight -meals out and afternoon teas seems to be what all my friends go for. Also not walking to work and back every day made me lazy.
    Have decided not to replace my dishwasher so it has gone and I bought a new basin and some new joyful tea towels. The kettle was replaced free of charge so went for a different one in case the same fault developed. As for my iron I checked the 2 spare in the loft and they had died in storage so £8 for a new shiny one from Sainsbuds - I am easy pleased. :rotfl:
    Off out for coffee ( no scones ) with some old workmates this morning.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,459
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Karmacat, my mind is boggling at the cow-horn/ light-bulb combo. Do run it by a couple of antique/ collectable emporiums as it may just be outre enough to attract a buyer even if not for very much money.
    kazwookie wrote: »
    Karmcat, if the one you have is genuine, they are generally carved by sailors on long sea voyages, and can be worth quite a bit, can be known as scrimshore horn,/ or whale bone. I suggest you remove the light bulb and any wiring, and take it to a local auction house, or the antiques road show if it is coming near you.
    essexgal wrote: »
    Karmacat - sounds like it might be Scrimshaw - there's a collectors website which might be worth looking at.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/folk-art/scrimshaw

would love to see a photo of it :D
    Wow! Thank you all.

I have a feeling its not original scrimshaw, it's not "homespun" enough (to mix my metaphors), but that page is fascinating, thanks essexgal! I'm utterly useless at putting photos on here, and I'm too stressed with other things to try at the moment, but over the weekend I'll try to take a photo and put it up on my flickr account.

No kondoing, except for pruning and weeding (oh, and more scanning and chucking out for the European au pair book!).

2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,798
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Right morning folks

So far I have weeded as I am on the late shift.
    Sorted out old clothes, some to CS, others rags / bin
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • dragonette
    dragonette Posts: 879 Forumite
    Good morning all :)

Hmm, ty Kaz - I should really do some weeding. I've bought some wildflower mix, in the hope it cheers up the back garden a bit

I'm very tempted to do some kondoing today but I might have a really lazy bath instead and use up some bath bombs ;)
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
  • ScotinLondon
    ScotinLondon Posts: 357
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Morning all. RL really crappy but life goes on.

Tiny bit of kondoing going on. Think have sold one of my old books - will know def on Monday.

Clothes all done apart from the indian ones.

Make-up partially done - need to go through the rest of them including nail polish now.

Paperwork will be next - will start on the ones that are floating around the house. The ones in the loft will get done probably towards the end of the year when DH is better able to some activity.

Getting all the appliances paperwork together bit by bit too.

Hope everyone is Ok and having a good day so far and a good weekend.

SIL
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Love the idea of the three things list although TBH if I just get three things done off my very long list that would be a plus!!
    Kondoed about 7 misc tubes/jars of part used face creams & sunscreens into a pump bottle with a good stir & shake to mix them all up together. More space in the cabinet and about a years worth of moisturiser in the bottle.
    I've managed to attack the mending pile. A button sewn on,2 bras of DGD repaired where the wire poked through and 2 shirts of DH collars turned.
    I was given a Tshirt on holiday & I'm keeping it but going to customise it from a round neck to a slash neck and do something with the hem - not sure yet.
    Ive moved some big pots that have Tulips in them to the end of the garden now they have finished so patio looks tidier. Oh - I also kondoed the minutes I had to type up from a meeting on Wednesday! Need to give the front garden a weed & that will be my lot for today.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,886
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    VJsmum wrote: »
    A three item "to do" list. Now THAT'S something I can achieve. I apply it to my exercise already (a half hour walk three times a week as a minimum, anything else is bonus) so I reckon I can do the same. Rather than being frustrated at all the things I haven't done, I can celebrate completing my to do list.

So today's three things are
    • Ironing OR shopping (i.e. something housey) (sorry GQ to mention the I word :D)
    • Prepare for tomorrow's day of assessing (something that will make tomorrow less stressful)
    • Start compiling my reference list for my PhD (something I should have done ages ago, rather than just dive in, and now seems HUUUGE)
    Now my question to all of you who are far more organised than me, is there a website / app thingy I can use for these lists? Someone recommended "Workflowy" but it seems a little lame - I think it's just cos there isn't a tick box element. Or shall I just spreadsheet?
    I put my 3 on a tiny post-it note (made during working hours for the evening) and then cross out and throw away. Even if I don't finish completely, I still throw away. Tomorrow is another day with other priorities.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure