Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 17 October 2016 at 7:15AM
    Slinky wrote: »
    Oh dear.

You could have asked her to phone the funeral directors and found out if they would do a 2 for 1 offer......
    :p Lol, this same firm did her hubby two years ago, will do Nan now and are going to be doing Aunt eventually.

If I don't restrain myself, it may be sooner than she thinks.:rotfl:

ETA; have just stuck something from Nan's up onto freegle (un-personal shed type item, I hasten to add) and have collated a carrier bag of nicer Stuff for the chazzer. I have some errands after w*rk which will include visiting a chazzer where I have my second gift aid registration. I feel a bit promiscious gift-aiding in two places at once but this particular shop is more accessible to me on a work day and I have to start processing this Stuff outta here or I may go slightly stir-crazy.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,007
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    *lobs pack of Valium over to GQ*

Sorry I can't help out with the other 3 items :p
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,007
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hugs to all those who need them.

RL a bit challenging here too at the moment. Have a couple of days to myself now so will crack on with some things off the list and do a little bit of Kondoing in between. Haven't done much over the last couple of months and the mess is starting to get me down again.

Will have help from a friend on Wednesday and plan to get a lot more things on their merry way.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Oceanspirit, things have slipped here too but I comfort myself with the thought that clearing up is so much easier now. Things may have been left out on the worktop (let's be honest, on any available flat surface!) but they all have homes to go to, and those that don't have a home will be disposed of now that my clutter detector is so sensitive. Stuff that used to hang around for months is now blindingly obvious as junk/recycling.

Enjoy the process. And GQ, hope you have a good day at work - it's good to get back to normality for a few hours sometimes, even though you're still grieving.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,886
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My parents reinforced the 'Sunday is a day of rest' yesterday, and told me to sit in the sunshine in the garden and do absolutely nothing! And it was lovely. Not even a book or an ipad, just tea and chatting. Dds had a friend over and played with new-to-them playmobi1 (gift from one of my colleagues who had cleared out his dds playroom), also in the garden.

I made a list of chores, and my parents will see what they feel inclined to do. Mutual understanding is that if they don't want to do any of them, that is fine, too. Mum will do laundry and general tidying/folding, and put any items she is unsure about on my bed. Dad will do diy, has already replaced a lightbulb (I know... I should have done that) and dissembled 2 children's chairs for the dump. He will look at the shortcircuiting dryer today.

Dad has offered to cook every day :), pick up youngest dd from school, drive oldest dd to math tutoring twice a week.

I have taken our African dresses from the hanging rail in dh's wardrobe, and folded them in a neat pile on the top shelf of his wardrobe. We don't wear them very often, and I remembered that the women in his family all fold their lovely dresses.

Next: change dds' wardrobe by swapping over the hanging rail and the shelves, to accommodate their longer clothes, now that they are growing so fast. Dd1, who is 8, already wears size 146 (10yrs), and dd2 seems to follow in her footsteps.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,880
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    This morning I have kondoed our house purchase. What a waste of time and money that was, we decided the vendor who was to be our new neighbour was playing tricks that were too controlling and we didn't want to live next door to him.

Back to square one.

The tiler is here to replace random patterned tiles in the bathroom with plain ones, however a load of the other tiles are coming away as they weren't stuck on very well by the previous tiler.

Off to the repairers with the lawn mower next.......
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,940
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Just kondoed the mother in law back home. I am fond of her ( chants i AM fond of her i am FOND of her) but, goodness, she plays the martyr well.

I am in the middle of gathering children's clothes which are being sent to south Africa on Wednesday. They are so expensive there and, when I heard that someone was going to the village we are helping, and with an empty case, I have been trawling the chazzers and put a plea on Facebook to fill it.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Sorry it's been a while since I posted, though I have been reading most days. Virtual hugs to all who need them.

GQ, the tales from your Nan's home are ringing bells with me. When I went home after my Dad died, I was working my socks off clearing stuff and found my youngest brother happily sitting drinking coffee and watching TV. I didn't miss him and hit the wall!! Especially since he was going to be living there after I returned to my own home!! Bless him, she said through gritted teeth!

My own move a few weeks ago was a complete nightmare. I had already kondo'd a lot of stuff, there wasn't a huge amount to move (lounge furniture, spare bed, white goods, curtains/light fittings all staying). Various friends recommended getting the removal company to do all the packing. What a fiasco. They were supposed to come the day before, didn't happen, then sent two men in too small a van with insufficient packaging material. The two extra men who were meant to arrive with a second van didn't materialise. I cleaned behind them as I'd planned to do anyway, as well as packing some of the boxes myself. The van didn't leave until 6.30pm and they had to go back next day for things they had no room for and had stashed in the shed overnight. The owner of the company wasn't answering his phone all day, either to me or his driver who was trying to find out when the other van was arriving. Thank goodness I have no intention of ever moving again!

There are just a couple more boxes left to unpack. I have taken a few bags to the charity shop since I moved, but there hasn't been much rubbish to go to the tip which I'm pleased about.

Sweetpea69 xxx
    Note to self: I'm a human being, not a human doing! 😊
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Hugs for all who need them.
    Tip run done this morning we managed to cram a queen sized and single mattress, a slide, a couple of boxes of old pots and some Lino into the landy and get it down in one run.
    Have Kondoed an enormous overgrown clematis that was pulling the fence over at mils, mended fence, treated bottom fence, unblocked gutters and mended porch where it needed it. We are having a hot choclote break at the mo waiting for the rain to stop so we can carry on creocoting our fence.

Busy day but it feels good with lots leaving.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :) Afternoon all. And thank you, oceanspirit, for the happy pills, I feel much better now. Or mebbe that's the 390 g bar of G@laxy I'm chowing down on. Because I'm worth it.

Slinky, sorry to hear your house purchase fell through but, based on what you've said, he sounds a dodgy person to have as a neighbour and you're well out of it. Fingers crossed that the next one will be suitable. Just think of it as extra available time for kondo-ing.

Aunt, oh aunt, you have come *this* close to being sliced into ribbons by the sharp side of my tongue. Where can I even start?

Oh yeah, there was her decision to go for two weeks' notice instead of four, to save about £200 rent to the estate. Which really puts the pressure on.

Aunt lives 70 yards from Nan. Straight line, you can see one bungalow from the other. Aunt gave up paid employment when expecting Cousin - in the early 1960s. She is able-bodied and enjoys good health. Strong as an ox, always has been. She has all the time in world to do stuff and boy does she not do it; she'll probably live forever whilst me and Cousin and our younger siblings will be working until they haul us off to the glue factory.

:mad: Some gems from the weekend; GQ and her Dad outside in the p-ing rain on Sunday morning, gutting and demolishing a shed and sorting wet and nasty stuff, and bonfiring. Two and a half hours into a hard morning and Aunt comes out the back once the rain has stopped (getting under my feet) and burbles about how hard she has been working emptying two (of three) drawers in a small COD of linens. This was a five minute job but she'd somehow made it take over two hours and was boasting about how hard she had worked.

She didn't even think that we'd mebbe like a cuppa until I flat-out asked her to make one................!

Then she made a point of taking a big pot of cheapy biros and testing them to see if they worked before 'bothering' to take them home. Never mind the boxes every which way, the family pix still on the wall, furniture to be moved etc etc with the council officer due this afternoon for inspection.

And she beggared off just after lunchtime on Saturday afternoon to go to the hairdressers and in the middle of yesterday afternoon to have tea with her son and DIL (who carried one small thing when I made the point of asking him, and he's a strapping 6 ft plus and younger than me).

Today, I have worked 6 hours, returned a library book due back today, taken one bag of donations to a chazzer on the way back from work and dropped into my pal's junk shop for a 10 minute natter. Then bought a small amount of groceries and a large amount of chocolate, came home and took a luggage trolley bearing a bin-bagful of clothing, plus a ragbag plus another bag of donations to the other chazzer half a mile away.

These were the things I took across the region on a coach yestereve.

Meanwhile, Aunt's plans for today involve taking the shopper's bus from the bus stop by her home into the market town (15 minute run). She could take some of the Stuff from Nan's in her very strong 4-wheeler shopping trolly into the town, where there is a chazzer every few doors. I can see clean across the region and know that this did not happen because the rest of us can do all that, can't we?!

:o sorry for venting.:o
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills