Overcharged by a Locksmith

Options

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    naedanger wrote: »
    I don't understand why you keep saying you agreed the price if you were not told the price in pounds in advance of fitting.
    But the OP was told the price in advance:

Emily2005 wrote: »
    I was given a choice of locks during the service and chose a high end British Standard lock. Hence, am liable for the exorbitant fees. The prices were not placed on the products themselves, the technician simply quoted the prices to me
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Yeah, under the Consumer Rights Act, I agreed to the price and hence the locksmith is not at fault. I understand this part. But under the Fraud Act S.3 failure to disclose information, the locksmith did not present the true prices of the locks.
    The price that they were selling the locks at was the "true price" and this is the only price that matters.
    Do Tesco, Sainsbury, B&Q etc show the price that they paid the manufacturer or wholesaler for the goods they sell?
  • Emily2005
    Options
    The price that they were selling the locks at was the "true price" and this is the only price that matters.
    Do Tesco, Sainsbury, B&Q etc show the price that they paid the manufacturer or wholesaler for the goods they sell?

Hey, thanks for you response. I get where you're coming from. Supermarkets do not show the wholesale price, that is correct. However, in the event that I ring a supermarket up/go on their website, and ask for the price of the product, I expect the price quoted to me over the phone/online to be similar to what I would find in the store.
    Similarly, I do not expect the locksmith to sell his Magnum thumb-turn lock at ~ £19 (as offered on ebay, which for the sake of argument we will use this as "wholesale price"). If we take the £19 Magnum thumb-turn as market price, then obviously a mark up to ~£120 would infuriate anyone. As once again, unfortunately, I did not have a gauge as to how much locks costs at that moment in time.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    . However, in the event that I ring a supermarket up/go on their website, and ask for the price of the product, I expect the price quoted to me over the phone/online to be similar to what I would find in the store.

You are comparing apples to oranges here.
    Yes, a supermarket may quote a price that reflects that which it is being sold for online and in the store but this will be because it is Tesco online and Tesco in the high street, therefore both part of the same company and in all likelihood the online/store prices will be very similar.
    I bet if you were to phone up Tesco and ask them how much they pay their suppliers for a certain item, they would refuse to tell you.

Provided that a retailer or tradesman advises a customer of the price of an item before that customer agrees to purchase it, then legally they have done nothing wrong.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But the OP was told the price in advance:

The op has also repeatedly said the opposite e.g. see the exchange in post 2 and 3.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    The op has also repeatedly said the opposite e.g. see the exchange in post 2 and 3.

The way I read it is that post 2 simply states that they agreed the price of £59 for labour and in their next post they clearly state that they were given the full price inclusive of parts and labour and agreed to it:
    Unfortunately, this is my very first experience with locks and dealing with locksmiths in general. That being said, he might have sensed that I was very naive and would accept whatever price he gave to me. This is why I accepted it without challenging the exorbitant fee at £255. I understand this is poor on my part, and have definitely learnt from it!
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 October 2016 at 3:28PM
    Options
    The way I read it is that post 2 simply states that they agreed the price of £59 for labour and in their next post they clearly state that they were given the full price and agreed to it:

Perhaps. To me there was ambiguity which I have tried to get the op to remove. In post 16 I specifically asked:

Did the locksmith quote (in pounds) how much extra you would have to pay over the original £59 before proceeding with the work?

After the answer, which started with "no" it still seemed ambiguous and contradictory.
  • Emily2005
    Options
    Perhaps. To me there was ambiguity which I have tried to get the op to remove. In post 12 I specifically asked:

Did the locksmith quote (in pounds) how much extra you would have to pay over the original £59 before proceeding with the work?

After the answer, which started with "no" it still seemed ambiguous and contradictory.

Ok sorry, does sound very confusing. I'll order the events.

1. Housemate rings locksmith, enquires for price. Price quoted to her over the phone is £59 for labour and any additional fees for new lock.
    2. Locksmith technician arrives. Clarifies with me that I am aware of the £59 labour fee, plus any additional extra for the lock. I said yes. Did not specify how much more for new lock before beginning inspection.
    3. Technician decides that we need a new lock. Removes broken lock from door, explains what happened with they key. Tells me I will need to change my lock, I said ok. Did not specify how much more for new lock. He heads back to (I presume) his van to bring a selection of locks up.
    4. When he comes back, he has 3 different types of locks with him. He tells me their prices.
    5. I pick one, he fits it. I pay, he leaves.
    6. Housemates finally reply and said I had been overcharged.
    7. I called in to ask about most expensive thumb-turn lock and find out it is much less than charged to me.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    tl;dr ... you were grossly overcharged, but are in a very weak position because you were advised of the prices prior to work commencing.

All you can hope for is a goodwill gesture, perhaps under the threat of negative commentary on review sites regarding their business practices.
  • smithjacknew
    Options
    You better be careful next time while choosing a locksmith for any lock-keys issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure