PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) The trouble with advice about moving valuables upstairs (not having a dig at Frugalsod, I scream at the Environment Agency's website for this, too) is that is presupposing something which ain't necessarily so; not everyone has an upstairs.

I don't. I'm in a groundfloor flat. And, apart from flat-dwellers, some people are in single-story dwellings. This was one of the major problems when the levees broke in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina - lots of people had 10 ft + of water (above ceiling height) in single story houses. Which is why they were on their roofs/ in their lofts and stranded in truly appalling levels of heat (100F) for days, and that's how some people died.
    I am in a first floor single level flat so understand what you mean but I know that my circumstances do not apply to everyone. A lot of people live in houses.

I was trying to be as broad as possible. Some might be significantly below the river level and others only the lowest level of bricks. It might mean keeping things away from the floors.

When the sea level breached the barriers in Essex many years ago the same happened, plus it happened at night, in winter.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    How do local authorities get away with building on flood plains in the first place?

I suspect because they are told to by central government. My local authority has to build 2000 homes a year. So developers only want to build on green field sites as it is cheaper as no clear up needed. So playing fields and farm land is being earmarked for development. There are some 960 flats being built within the city but all have been sold to Chinese, so will be empty all the time, as it will be their escape route if there is trouble in China. So not only the wrong sorts of homes are being built they are not even helping the local dire housing situation.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    So not only the wrong sorts of homes are being built they are not even helping the local dire housing situation.

True round here also, though it's not the Chinese that are the problem, but those pesky "executives" who apparently will be needing 80% of the new housing planned. So - hundreds - quite literally - of new "town" house with pocket-hanky gardens (if any), or 4-bed dets (of which 2 are large enough to sleep in) with half the ground floor given over to a 2-very-small-cars-parked-lengthways garage. In the meantime, our kids can't even afford to rent anywhere in town, never mind buy. No more school places or doctors & dentists planned, just "desirable" - i.e. expensive - housing.

But at least most of it isn't on flood plains, though some of it is undeniably boggy...

Thanks, Karmacat, I think she's on the mend now, and I'm back home, for now at least. 4 trips there & back again in the van; it's interesting how much safer I feel I driving a biggish, high-ish & more powerful, if slower, vehicle down our rural roads in the dark!
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Alloneword
    Alloneword Posts: 368 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2015 at 3:05PM
    jk0 wrote: »
    This is my phone:

jcb-toughphone-protalk.jpg

Only problem is that I have never been able to download photos from it. Maybe someone more tech savvy would manage that.
    Intresting topic phones, but bear in mind like when 7/7 took place most cell systems went down/switched over to emergency use only, for me i have a couple of old Nokia 2G phone, as well as a phone called RugGear RG100, this phone is awesome bit like the JCB but better IMO speaker is so load it's untrue, i can ride my motorbike at 40mph with helmet on and still hold a conversation while on hands free and can hear it fine, plus it has dual sims, and i also have a LG G3 phone, also keep sim from 5 providers even though some piggy back onto others you can never be too sure.
    I also keep all my electric stuff in a small waterproof bag, given water is my main worry.

All1

Alsothere is another waterprof phone made by JCB called a "Talk-Pro" so as well as being a tough phone it has 446Mhz radio in it, ok it's not the best freq to have and it's not secure but handy way to keep in touch locally if cell towers are down.
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 October 2015 at 3:43PM
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    bbbbbbbbI recommend Flood, by Richard Doyle? It's a fiction which is very well researched, and deals with what will happen in London should the Thames Barrier be overtopped, in incredible detail, borough by borough. I have re-read it in the past few weeks and believe there will be much in there of interest and relevance to your planning.

It details how emergency services and telecoms went offline as the water penetrated exchanges and took down electrics. And how the Underground flooded. It's unputdownable.

I think I will take a look for that book too!

GreyQueen, have you read One Second After by William R. Forstchen?

I haven't read it but is is supposed to be a real page turner, about the after affects of an EMP attack.

He released the follow up last month 'One Year After' but I haven't read any reviews on that one yet.

Lots of YouTube reviews and interviews with the author.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh !!!!!!! I need to knit faster......and make more jam.........
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    True round here also, though it's not the Chinese that are the problem, but those pesky "executives" who apparently will be needing 80% of the new housing planned. So - hundreds - quite literally - of new "town" house with pocket-hanky gardens (if any), or 4-bed dets (of which 2 are large enough to sleep in) with half the ground floor given over to a 2-very-small-cars-parked-lengthways garage. In the meantime, our kids can't even afford to rent anywhere in town, never mind buy. No more school places or doctors & dentists planned, just "desirable" - i.e. expensive - housing.

But at least most of it isn't on flood plains, though some of it is undeniably boggy...

Thanks, Karmacat, I think she's on the mend now, and I'm back home, for now at least. 4 trips there & back again in the van; it's interesting how much safer I feel I driving a biggish, high-ish & more powerful, if slower, vehicle down our rural roads in the dark!

Some on 124 allotment plots, 1 of them being mine. :mad:
  • Could we all club together and get that swan an EasyJet ticket back to Siberia?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Evening all.

sb44, I have that book on the shelf but haven't yet got around to reading it.

The trouble with the UK is that most of the most sensible places to be build on have been built on long ago. Which leaves some buildable bits preserved for sensible reasons, such as being great farmland or areas of outstanding beauty, and other preserved for un-sensible reasons. Such as Nimbyism.

What does that leave? Brownfield sites and the boggier bits of the country where no sane person of centuries past would have dreamed of putting a building. And that's where a lot of the new stuff is building.

My hometown has been in existance for about 1400 years. And there are a bits of ground near the rivers close to the centre which have never been anything more than pasture prone to flooding from the two rivers. Only now they have sprouted 'executive homes' a phrase and a practise I truly abhor.

I wouldn't give you a bent ha'penny for anything built down there, unless to briefly hold it and sell it on to a greater fool. I've seen that neighbourhood awash in 2 ft + water many a time.

My whole neighbourhood and beyond is described by the Environment Agency as at moderate risk of flooding but, if it did flood, it would be classified as severe. There is a river 50m away with many feet of freeboard between the normal level and the top of the banks. If the banks top over, it'll be across the carpark and into my flat.

My plan for that situation is evacuation. The sewers would back up through the plumbing and I'd have feces inside the flat. I'd go to SuperGran in the immediate term, as she's on a higher floor and I have the key to her flat. In the longer term, I would have to be out of my home for some time. Could be looking at a majority loss of my possessions, in that case.:(
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills