£100k - what to do?

Comments

• Maceo
    Maceo Posts: 19 Forumite
    Put in in a actively managed investment platform like Hargreaves and Lansdown or Nutmeg and out max out your ISA allowance each year.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    you dont have to be 'savvy' about investing to invest in equities

IF you diversify (ie buy global trackers or multi asset funds) you can invest w/o great knowledge.

Of course, int he mean time you can read threads here, read Monevator, motley fool et all and actually read up and learn?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,586 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Maceo wrote: »
    Put in in a actively managed investment platform like Hargreaves and Lansdown or Nutmeg and out max out your ISA allowance each year.

Not sure you can say that HL is an actively managed platform. It's certainly a platform but is a DIY option.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Put in an index tracker fund. Keep adding money. Once you get to 300k or so change to a dividend index tracker and just retire! Running the numbers at the 7% average return it would take 15years. Less if you keep adding funds.
  • bigadaj wrote: »
    Why are Zopa and Ratesetter appropriate for any scenario?

Assuming this is a question and not a statement, the answer is because they involve very little time and effort and provide a higher rate of return once you have filled the 5% current accounts. They are perceived by some as the safer end of p2p in part due to their time in the business and/ or provision fund.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Assuming this is a question and not a statement, the answer is because they involve very little time and effort and provide a higher rate of return once you have filled the 5% current accounts. They are perceived by some as the safer end of p2p in part due to their time in the business and/ or provision fund.

No security, no evidence of credit checking, and now rates of return little better than cash deposits but with risk of capital loss.

Most of their lending seems to be unsecured with teh platforms taking the majority of the returns meaning they can profit but still cover defaults that occur.

Better sites offering security, transparency and due diligence, with higher returns are available.
  • I'm new to this could you let me know where find the better sites please
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Josh2 wrote: »
    I'm new to this could you let me know where find the better sites please

Search for p2p on here, but the p2pindependentforum is probably better and more useful.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 October 2016 at 3:37PM
    Maceo wrote: »

Already covered that HL is not an actively managed platform but regarding Nutmeg, they are a middle ground option between full advice and no advice.

However, Nutmeg have issues. They have yet to make a profit and every year, their losses increase. Their latest figures show a turnover of 1.7million (up from £635,000) and a loss of £8.9 m in 2015 (up from 5.3m).

Their turnover was in 2014 was equivalent to a local single office IFA firm (to put the figures in context). Now it is similar to a 2-3 office IFA firm. None of which would be expected to be loss making (let alone of the scale Nutmeg is)

You have to question how long the hole is going to be plugged by the borrowers before they call it a day as the figures are not sustainable.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    Go to an IFA, pay them a few of anywhere between £1,000 to £5,000 and let them set up their recommendation.

Job done

Every year you pay them £1,500 to £3,000 a year for them to send you a report on how it's doing and further recommendations.

They may even do your tax return.

Make sure you explain your objectives and expectations very clearly.

Then just sit back and enjoy life with the satisfying knowledge that your finances are being looked after.

Cheers fj
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport