Transfer Test* Support* AQE 2016-2017

BOBS
BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
Rox12 and Neveranymoney - especially for you - wishing you and your children all the best for this not so nice AQE process. Will dip in from time to time to see how its all going - as I am sure others from 2015-16 thread will too.
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]

Comments

• Rox12
    Rox12 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Thanks Bobs. Will keep everyone updated, kids are off for half term but school is starting Fairfield p6 papers when they go back next week.
  • May100
    May100 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Hi,
    This is my first time through transfer. I have read the 2015/16 posts and found them informative but also scared me a bit. I don't know if my DS's school prepares the kids or not. We don't have parent teacher meetings until after Easter hols which is annoying as I don't know how he is doing. The grammars in our area require very high scores.
    What are Fairfields as I googled this and couldn't find it. Are PMP and WIndmill different again.
    I don't want to buy papers on line and then find duplicate school work.
  • My ds got 97 in his aqe what would this equate too would this be enough for a grammar school placement
  • May100
    It depends on the competition for the school. The required score various a lot between schools in different areas. The Belfast Telegraph published a table that showed the scores they took previously. It gives a guide but it can go up or down a bit. You could also call the school of your choice and ask them what sort of grades they normally take.
  • My ds sat the aqe this year but his primary school used the windmill papers my ds found these papers to be harder than the aqe themselves you are better buying aqe past papers they are very good and the layout of questions are repeative every year hope that helps!
  • Thanks may 100 I had a look at the telegraph the school he wants to get into took 94 as its lowest score I have put my son threw special circumstances as he has an underlying medical condition I was told that the board of governors make the decision and can award a max of 5 points is this true?
  • Hi Guys

Good luck to you all for the next several months - it is tough going !

Just thought I'd share thoughts on useful practice papers as I've been through AQE twice now.

My top tips would be -

1. Transferready.co.uk. which I found to be super, they have stepped papers so you can practice 20 min & 30 min papers before building up to 1 hour papers etc

2. The transfertest.com practice tests were also very good and

3. Past AQE papers which you can get from the AQE website - the only thing about these is that some Primary Schools prefer parents not to use them so that the Primary School can use them - but I suppose it depends on your Primary and whether they are doing any practice tests at all !

Finally, although our Primary used some Windmill papers - I definitely think they were harder so I avoided them second time round.
  • May100
    Thanks for that tip. I don't want him doing really hard papers at the start in case he throws the head up.
    I think his vocabulary and spelling needs a boost but maths stronger.

No idea how the margin special circumstances affect the mark. I think they look at results of other standardised tests that were done in school too. Likely to differ between schools so maybe best to speak to them.
  • Thanks may 100 I had a look at the telegraph the school he wants to get into took 94 as its lowest score I have put my son threw special circumstances as he has an underlying medical condition I was told that the board of governors make the decision and can award a max of 5 points is this true?

Hi Masquerade77

The Board of Governors for any school does make the decision on SC but from what I 've read on these forums from others who've applied for SC, they've said a maximum of 3 marks can be awarded. Perhaps you could ask the school you're interested in? Mind you, with a score of 97 your DS will probably get in any way. Good Luck
  • Rox12
    Rox12 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Hi all, this will be my 1st experience of going through the process too. It seems so daunting already for the parents never mind the children. We have had a meeting with P6 teacher who talked through the process& gave us a timetable which they are going to work through 2 papers a week. Starting with Fairfield p6 papers which seem to be old papers that aren't available anymore,then windmill papers & past aqe papers. Windmill & past papers are both online but there's no point in me buying them if they're going to be doing them in school. Everyone seems to say they preferred papers from aqe themselves or transfer test.com. How much do you guys plan on doing at home with your children??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure