The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Comments

• LexieLou
    LexieLou Posts: 714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for a very inspiring post, you give me hope.

Enjoy your new life xx

Date of lightbulb moment - Early 2008, we found out we were expecting. We were living in a studio flat, working long hours in rubbish jobs; and knew that we wanted better for our family. The flickering bulbs of the previous few months turned into flashing neon hazard signs. I found MSE and we set to it.

Debts at their highest - over £8000.

Debt-Free Date - Today! We could have done it years ago, but have had a final credit card sat at 0% for years now and have been ploughing money into an ISA instead. Today we had enough and just paid it off. It wasn't costing us anything in interest, but it feels amazing that finally all of our money going forward is our own!

Our Pearl of wisdom - Pay off debt little and often, even if that means taking a couple of bags of coppers to the bank each week. Have a tally on your wall of your balance going down. Psychologically it spurs you on to make savings wherever you can and pay off more and more.

Congratulations everyone; and best of luck to all the DFW, you will get there! And thank you Martin and your team, I hope you realize what a difference you make to people's lives :beer:
    £38,000 and change to £0
  • katy_ann
    katy_ann Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Well done you :) x
    Debt free once - Back again | Current debt: £3002.96 - January 2023 | Currently repaying £50 a month - Estimated DFD Jan 2028 | Make £2023 in 2023 #51 - £33.75/£2023
  • mustang1
    mustang1 Posts: 252 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 17 May 2013 at 11:00PM
    I never thought I would be posting on this thread.

I don't think I've had one single light bulb moment but more several over the last 4 or 5 years so it's been a long slog.

Debt at its highest was circa £15,000 - most of which has been all on 0% credit cards for years and years.

If I have one tip it is to make transfers to your debt little and often. I made regular small payments here and there pretty much twice or three times a week and it all makes a massive difference.

Today is my Debt Free Day - I have paid off the last of my zero % credit card (2 weeks before it expires) and I am a little bit in shock! It's going to be quite tight until pay day but I just wanted to settle up.

Thank you to each and every one of you MSErs as I would never have made it here without this place.
  • gothrockchic1
    gothrockchic1 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Well Done Mustang1 enjoy your new found wealth x
  • moohound
    moohound Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 23 May 2013 at 10:54AM
    Light Bulb Moment 06/06/2012 called Payplan, realised I couldn't go on like this anymore. Should have done it 18 months earlier.:(

Debts at Highest £39000 5 credit cards, 3 loans and an overdraft.:o

Debt Free Day 20/05/2013 :D

Pearl of Wisdom Don't be tempted to think a high salary will protect you from debts going out of control, its easy to think,"I work hard, I earn good money I can have this on credit it will be fine" the rug can be pulled out from under just about anybody, start saving for the things you want as soon as you can, 10% from your very first pay-packet is a good start. Savings help protect you from life's financial ups and downs, especially the all important emergency fund.

EDIT - well chuffed with badge :)
    ISA £1675 :DMiniMoohound savings £3685.86 :T Plus £3800 CTF :)
    'MrMoneyMuststache' my new hero, Martin Lewis my long time hero
    Poacher turned Gamekeeper
    Roadkill rebel No 52 Aug £1.34p Sept 24p Oct 5p Nov 5p Sealed pot Challenge No 403 £176.66(2014) :staradmin NOV NST No 20
  • bhoy1976
    bhoy1976 Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    a. The date of your lightbulb moment
    Late 2008, with the influence of a former girlfriend, I decided to take the bull by the horns with my vicious circle of debt. I should never have been allowed to obtain such finance or allow myself to let it get worse. StepChange (CCCS) helped me inmensely.
    b. Debts at their highest
    At its height, I was staring down the barrell of a £17,000 gun.
    c. Debt-Free Date
    I have made my final payment today 23rd May 2013 but yet to have this all confirmed. I was lucky enough, or unlucky depending on how you look at it, to receive an insurance settlement after being hit by a car. That enabled me to pay off a large amount of my debt. Now all I need is to rid myself of these defaults and I might be in with a chance of getting a mortage!
    d. Your one perl of wisdom.
    If you're going to borrow, ensure you have a plan in place to pay it back and stick to this before committing elsewhere.
    e. And if you had a debt diary on DFW, a link to it
    I didn't keep one, but I did make several visits for advice on how to pay off my DMP as fast as possible.

Aaand breathe.....
  • moohound
    moohound Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    well done bhoy1976 welcome to the debt free club :)
    ISA £1675 :DMiniMoohound savings £3685.86 :T Plus £3800 CTF :)
    'MrMoneyMuststache' my new hero, Martin Lewis my long time hero
    Poacher turned Gamekeeper
    Roadkill rebel No 52 Aug £1.34p Sept 24p Oct 5p Nov 5p Sealed pot Challenge No 403 £176.66(2014) :staradmin NOV NST No 20
  • acheekymunky
    acheekymunky Posts: 104 Forumite
    Moohound that is amazing well done. We probably have a similar figure of debt (I'm yet to sit down & tally up our joint debts) but you've given me hope. Can I ask how you cleared the debt in 13 months?? Any suggestions on how I can generate extra funds to clear??

Thank you x
    Making the most of what I've got.
    I have now realised earning more money won't make me richer but clearing my debts will!!
  • ohohoh_2
    ohohoh_2 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Lightbulb moment: October 2008
    Debts at their highest: £22,280
    Debt-Free Date: 24th May 2013
    Your one pearl of wisdom: It might be a bit of a cliche but get on top of your debts before your debts get on top of you, it only gets worse.
    Debt Free: 24/05/2013!!!!
    2014: A years supply of Ecover washing up liquid, Phantom of the Paradise steelbook, A selection of Ojon goodies, £500 ASOS vouchers.
  • gothrockchic1
    gothrockchic1 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    ohohoh wrote: »
    Lightbulb moment: October 2008
    Debts at their highest: £22,280
    Debt-Free Date: 24th May 2013
    Your one pearl of wisdom: It might be a bit of a cliche but get on top of your debts before your debts get on top of you, it only gets worse.

Well Done! :T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure